mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Colorado Trail Segment 1

For those of you that have ridden Segment 1, how tough is it as an out-and-back from Waterton Canyon (is it in the same class as Indian Creek-Waterton Loop?)?? I've decided that I'm going to complete each segment in the next 2 years.. weekend warrior style, and am knocking out 1-5 right away before getting to the high altitude stuff.

I rode Segment 2 today, as an out-and-back, starting from Platte River, and found it easier than expected. I did Seg 2 instead of doing Seg 1, because I read that Seg 1 is challenging, and I am still in the process of getting back to the fitness level needed for long rides to be enjoyable, so I didn't think I was ready for it. I'm new to this sport as of last year when I moved here, so I'm no expert, but I'm decent for only riding for a year... Kenosha to Breck and Monarch Pass to Poncho Springs being my biggest accomplishments to date (last year, when I was in peak shape).

I ask because I read the initial climb in Seg 2 was "difficult", comparing it to a Mt Falcon/Deer Creek climb, but found the climb pretty mellow compared to those two. I didn't think I was ready for 34 miles (even though 12 of those miles are in Waterton) and steep climbs (which is what Seg 1 is described as). How much harder is Seg 1 over Seg 2?

Trips for Kids Denver
    If you didn't have any problem with segment 2 then you won't have a problem with segment 1. There is a little hike a bike up a seasonal stream bed and a couple loose steep stretches but they're short. Once you make it to the Platte turning around and climbing for 4 miles will get your attention especially if it's hot.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    segment 2 is relatively easy one, and the seg2 climb out of platte is fairly short and easy. seg1 climb out of platt is tougher and long. i think this is the clinb that is being compared to mt falcon climb. this is how i remember it, havent been there for couple years.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    If you didn't have any problem with segment 2 then you won't have a problem with segment 1. There is a little hike a bike up a seasonal stream bed and a couple loose steep stretches but they're short. Once you make it to the Platte turning around and climbing for 4 miles will get your attention especially if it's hot.
    So I decided to just be a man about it and go do it regardless of my fitness level, and completed it just fine, as you said. It was way more fun than Segment 2, but Segment 2 is a cakewalk compared to Segment 1. Longer and steeper, and the downhill was chunkier than Seg 2, not that it was a bad thing, but much tougher imo.