mtbr member

Colorado Trail Riding and Camping Suggestions Near Breck

Disclaimer: I hope this is the right forum--I'm not too familiar with Colorado geography yet.

I will be taking a 2 week road trip to Colorado in July and we'd like to ride some of the scenic Colorado Trail in and around the 285 to Hwy 9 Breck. I'm particularly interested in Georgia pass and Kenosha Pass because of the views. (This url started the whole idea http://otbmbc.com/epics/2006-CT/day5.shtml)

Being entirely new to this area, the lack of a Colorado Trailbook (no longer publishing them and most stores are sold out), and not being used to riding at elevation, its a bit daunting of a goal but what the hell, you only live (or die) once.

Our goal is to get about two rides of around 20 miles of single track each (again, the elevation I think is going to be killer). I figure we can do one ride one day and another the next. Since we only have one vehicle they will have to be out and back unless we can arrange a shuttle or design a loop which we are open to. However, being new to the area, I think an out and back would be best since I don't think getting lost at 11,000 ft is much fun.

I believe you can ride the entire Colorado Trail between Kenosha Pass and Breckenridge. I have also heard that the Colorado Trail just east of Kenosha Pass is great too.

Can anyone recommend the best routes and starting points for hitting the Colorado Trail in this area? What will be the best bang for the buck for an Intermediate rider? Lastly, where would you recommend to camp for tent camping? Google earth shows lots of options north east of Breck and one campground at Kenosha Pass but I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Also, can anyone recommend some good topo maps also. I have Mountain Bike Summit County & Vail Singletrack with a few maps but they're too small to really figure out where I am in case I get lost.

Mucho Thanks!
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You'll probably be able to find camping during the week at the Kenosha campground. Weekends you probably won't.

CT east of Kenosha IS nice. But as far as bang-for-buck, do the Kenosha->Jefferson Creek->GA Pass->CT->Kenosha loop.

Then pop over Boreas Pass to Breck, head up the Swan and camp somewhere in the NF. Stay in a camp spot that is already "established." Ride the GA Pass jeep road up to the pass, climb a bit more, hit up the CT and ENJOY the ride down. Bail outs at several spots, but I'd recommend riding the CT all the way to Hwy9 then looping back to your camp.

Bad Andy
    You could camp at Jefferson (Michigan Creek campground IIRC) and do an out and back both directions on the CT.

If you are open to options, you could also camp somewhere near Marshall Pass, and do an out and back both ways on the CT, and this would include part of Monarch Crest.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    You could camp at Jefferson (Michigan Creek campground IIRC) and do an out and back both directions on the CT.
    Good point. There is a Jefferson Creek campground right ON the Jefferson Creek trail. You could easily loop GA pass from there AND do an out and back on the CT east towards Kenosha:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgr...O&parkId=73564

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. We would probably be arriving at camp around Tuesday and stay for 3-4 days.

Looks like Kenosha doesn't take reservations. Is Jefferson creek campground nice?

SkaredShtles,

Do you have any route information on the Kenosha->Jefferson Creek->GA Pass->CT->Kenosha loop? Distance, elevation gain, map resources, etc.

andychrysler,

Monarch crest is on our to-do list somewhere between Durango and Crested Butte!
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

I'm how far behind?

Guidebook

Quote Originally Posted by tribune

Being entirely new to this area, the lack of a Colorado Trailbook (no longer publishing them and most stores are sold out),
    Have you tried here? I bought it from them last summer. Mainly for hikers, but explains all the bike options.

http://www.coloradotrail.org/store.html

jim
    Fatter than most.

slow
    Do you have any route information on the Kenosha->Jefferson Creek->GA Pass->CT->Kenosha loop? Distance, elevation gain, map resources, etc.
    I usually do this the other way (Lollipop ride: Kenosha along the CT to Georgia Pass and then back down Jefferson Creek and back out on the CT to Kenosha) and my GPS shows around 24 miles. High point is Georgia Pass at around 11,700'. Low spot is in near the Jefferson Creek Campground at around 9700'. There is some additional gain and loss due to additional climbs. Whole ride is pretty well marked. The easiest spot to miss is the upper turn off for Jefferson Creek.

If you can do a Kenosha to Breck and then stay the night in Breck and come back the next day, consider that option. If you were to pack your camping gear on the bikes, you could ride to Breck on day one, and then back up Tiger Road to camp in the N Fork. Then return to Kenosha along the CT the next day.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Looks like Kenosha doesn't take reservations. Is Jefferson creek campground nice?
    Yup. It's a nice campground.

Do you have any route information on the Kenosha->Jefferson Creek->GA Pass->CT->Kenosha loop?
    I don't... but I know it's a lot of climbing and quite a few miles.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    In addition to the camping that other folks have mentioned in the Kenosha/Jefferson area, here is also free "dispersed" Camping in the Forks of the Swan Area. There is also free camping up Michigan Creek road (the road leading to Georgia pass). These camps can be really nice, but they can also get lots of motorheads with a propensity to play with guns too.

One advantage of camping in Summit County is you are closer to goods and services of Breckenridge and Frisco, if that is an issue for you. Camping on the Kenosha side is further away from groceries, restaurants, bike shops etc, which my be an advantage depending on how you look at it.

Also: the snowpack is currently growing in Summit County and the higher elevations may have snow fields and mud until well into late July or even August this year. This doesn't mean you won't be able to ride, but you should be aware that you may need to walk some muddy/snowey sections.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yep, the snowpack is growing. I was skiing boot-deep pow on Saturday and Sunday above Breck. Felt like Feb, not May. Sections above 12.5k should be dry by July 2009.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer
    Have you tried here? I bought it from them last summer. Mainly for hikers, but explains all the bike options.

http://www.coloradotrail.org/store.html

jim
    Yes I tried at the foundation's website and also emailed them. They responded:

Thanks for your interest in the CT and for contacting us about this! Yes, our store is out of the 7th Edition and many other places are, as well. We are awaiting the release of the 7th Edition REVISED, due out in July-ish. This new edition will have all the updated reroute and GPS info. The publisher is attempting to sell down on the stock of 7th Edition while waiting for the 7th Edition REVISED to be released. We understand that the timing of this is really inconvenient for CT users. n order to help minimize this, hassle, we have all the updated reroute info including maps on our website: http://www.coloradotrail.org/clearcreek.html and http://www.coloradotrail.org/reroute.html

Luckily I just snagged a copy on it on Amazon as they just go 2 more in stock. When I checked just the other day they were out and the third party sellers were charging outrageous prices for the book.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    I usually do this the other way (Lollipop ride: Kenosha along the CT to Georgia Pass and then back down Jefferson Creek and back out on the CT to Kenosha) and my GPS shows around 24 miles. High point is Georgia Pass at around 11,700'. Low spot is in near the Jefferson Creek Campground at around 9700'. There is some additional gain and loss due to additional climbs. Whole ride is pretty well marked. The easiest spot to miss is the upper turn off for Jefferson Creek.

If you can do a Kenosha to Breck and then stay the night in Breck and come back the next day, consider that option. If you were to pack your camping gear on the bikes, you could ride to Breck on day one, and then back up Tiger Road to camp in the N Fork. Then return to Kenosha along the CT the next day.
    Perfect thanks for the info. I'm so stoked I found this exact route in my Summit County mtbing book. After looking in the CO Gazatteer I finally located how this route is designed. The MTB book I have says 24.5 miles with the climb to the top of Georgia Pass to FSR 268.

How many miles is Kenosha to Breck? Thats an interesting option. Maybe we could find a local to shuttle us back And how do you get to Breck from the CT? Do you just land onto Interstate 9 and ride the shoulder down or is there a better route?

Is the Kenosha Pass to Rock Creek trail (6.5mi in along the CT) any good? Might be a fun second short ride if we camp at Kenosha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    You'll probably be able to find camping during the week at the Kenosha campground. Weekends you probably won't.

CT east of Kenosha IS nice. But as far as bang-for-buck, do the Kenosha->Jefferson Creek->GA Pass->CT->Kenosha loop.

Then pop over Boreas Pass to Breck, head up the Swan and camp somewhere in the NF. Stay in a camp spot that is already "established." Ride the GA Pass jeep road up to the pass, climb a bit more, hit up the CT and ENJOY the ride down. Bail outs at several spots, but I'd recommend riding the CT all the way to Hwy9 then looping back to your camp.
    I managed to find Boreas Pass on my map. Looks a little confusing to locate from breck though. Any idea on the mileage of the loop you described, and is Boreas a fire road or paved? Thanks

Lastly, how is the CT west of highway 9 up to kokomo pass? That looks fun too. Man I am gunna $hit my pants when I finally get out there...

slow
    How many miles is Kenosha to Breck? Thats an interesting option. Maybe we could find a local to shuttle us back And how do you get to Breck from the CT? Do you just land onto Interstate 9 and ride the shoulder down or is there a better route?
    I don't remember the total mileage from Kenosha to Breck. There are several ways into Breck from the CT, the easiest being to catch the paved bike path along side Hwy 9 for an easy cruise into town. Another option would be to cross Hwy 9 and go over Gold Hill to the Peaks trail and climb that into Breck. That adds some good singletrack and some climbing. There are some other options behind the Breck golf course on the east side of Hwy 9, as well. It has been a few years since I moved away, so the east side routes have likely changed some due to development.

As for the local shuttle, you could post here to see if anyone would take you up on it. Carbonated adult beverages have been Summit County currency in the past, but that was before $4 gas. That is a pretty big drive from Breck back to Kenosha.

I have not done the Rock Creek section you mention, so can't comment on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biopace
    Yep, the snowpack is growing. I was skiing boot-deep pow on Saturday and Sunday above Breck. Felt like Feb, not May. Sections above 12.5k should be dry by July 2009.
    LOL so will I be bringing my snowboard to Keystone instead of the DH bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    July is perfect time for this adventure. Co trail any out and backs in this area are awesome. When a trail is that good, why would you loop it on forest service road ?
    Jeff. Creek campground is really good and tucked away, compared to Kenosha campground. The co trail jeff creek loop is okay if you really like extremely rough trails jeff creek trail (if it is cleared of trees now.)
    Anyway, be prepared weather can turn on you up top with late day thunder and lighting and hail, check weather quite frequently.
    If you wind up doing a stay in Breck co trail around there is supreme also. Also, burro trail, etc.
    Last edited by ghawk; 05-15-2008 at 04:39 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    P
    Is the Kenosha Pass to Rock Creek trail (6.5mi in along the CT) any good? Might be a fun second short ride if we camp at Kenosha.
    The ride out to Rock Creek is pretty nice. And MUCH less populated with hikers & bikers than the other side.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Lastly, how is the CT west of highway 9 up to kokomo pass? That looks fun too. Man I am gunna $hit my pants when I finally get out there...
    Ummm... the CT from Hwy 9 to Kokomo pass is a BLAST. But bring your A-game, because the climb from Hwy 9 over Gold Hill and then up Miners Creek Trail is BRUTAL

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    July is perfect time for this adventure. Co trail any out and backs in this area are awesome. When a trail is that good, why would you loop it on forest service road ?
    I know that for me, riding up the CT from Hwy9 and then turning around and riding back down it would take more hours than there is daylight during the summer. Riding up the GA Pass Road "only" takes a couple hours.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

I see 3 campgrounds there.

Jefferson Creek CG is a ways up the road, while Lodgepole and Aspen CGs look to be on the CT. Are any better than the others ??

I'd never thought of staying at the base of the pass, my 1 ride there was just a day trip from Kenosha Pass, but the idea of looping Georgia Pass one day and then the long out/back east to the Wilderness boundry sounds great.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    Jefferson Creek CG is a ways up the road, while Lodgepole and Aspen CGs look to be on the CT. Are any better than the others ??

I'd never thought of staying at the base of the pass, my 1 ride there was just a day trip from Kenosha Pass, but the idea of looping Georgia Pass one day and then the long out/back east to the Wilderness boundry sounds great.
    The best riding over there is PAST the Wilderness boundary.