Thread: Colorado Trail

NorCo Bike Guru
    May 2007

Colorado Trail

I am interested in a 3 day point to point, fully supported mountain bike ride on the Colorado Trail. I would need to find 4 wheel drive accessable camp spots for 3 nights. Does anyone have any recomendations for epic sections? There will be 9 riders ranging in ability from intermediate to expert. We plan to ride 5-8 hours per day.

NorCo Bike Guru
    May 2007

Monarch Crest South

It would seem that the Monarch Crest trail going south might be the most scenic??? It also looks like there are vehicle accessible points roughly 15-20 miles apart?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hmmm... I'd say Molas Pass to Durango but that's probably only two days.

Maybe do Monarch Pass to Los Pinos Creek then shuttle over to Molas?

NorCo Bike Guru
    May 2007

weather on top

What is the weather like on Monarch Crest in the end of September?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bagley308
    What is the weather like on Monarch Crest in the end of September?
    Beautiful, crappy, or snowed in. Depending on your luck.

mtbr member
    start at kenosha pass and camp on tiger rd.
    peaks to miners creek to wheeler camp at wheeler flats
    copper to searle pass out and back

fight the system
    It would seem that the Monarch Crest trail going south might be the most scenic??? It also looks like there are vehicle accessible points roughly 15-20 miles apart?
    how ridable is that section? (After the crest part, I know what that section is like )
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

mtbr member
    Talk to jasonb. He is an expert as far as I am concerned.

Just go ride!
    Scenic, yes. Super fun riding, no. The middle 5 miles of segment 16 (Marshall Pass to Sargents Mesa) are like riding down a talus field at some points, and many, many of the miles in segment 17 (Sargents Mesa to Hwy-114) are boneshakers too. Depends on what you're looking for, I suppose.

Doing a 3-day CT point-to-point on a bike is almost impossible, unless you want to ride some Wilderness Detours, none of which I can really recommend as fun riding. If I was going to do a ride like you are planning, for the funnest riding, I would do an "almost" point-to-point ride, very similar to what CO_freeride suggests:

Day 1, Segments 1-3, Waterton to Wellington Lake Road. 40 mi. 6000'. Camp at Wellington, or up on Kenosha pass.
    Day 2, Segment 6, Kenosha Pass to Goldhill Trailhead. 32 mi, 4500'
    Day 3, Segment 8, Copper Mtn. to Tennessee Pass. 25 mi, 4500' (add 3 mi. to continue to Wurtz ditch road.

Those are some of the best sections of the entire CT for bikes. The mileages may sound small for 5-8 hour days, but on paper it is easy to underestimate the CT!

Another option would be to break up the trail from Molas Pass to Durango into 3 pieces. It is only 72 miles, but they are beautiful and hard. Maybe camp between Bolam Pass and Hotel Draw 1 night, and near Taylor lake the second night.

Hope this helps...
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ