Thread: Colorado Trail

I dream on two wheels

Colorado Trail

I was just wondering if anyone has ever ridden the CO trail from Lenny's Bench at Waterton Canyon, to Buffalo Creek area? Milage, time to ride, or am I stupid for even asking. Thanks.

-Simon

mtbr member

Ct

More accurate info coming I'm sure, but I'll add what I can remember off the top of my head, just cause I'm not busy at the moment. From Lenny's its a fun ride to the Platte trailhead. I have ridden from the Platte to Lenny's and back and it was a tough ride, lots of climbing. I'm guessing from Lenny's to the Platte it is probably 8 ish miles. From the Platte up to Chair Rock (is that the right name?) its a grunt climb. A little more exposed and dry, probably 5 or 6 ish miles. From there its another couple miles to the county road that connects Pine Junction to Woodland Park. This is where the CT segment that borders the Buffalo Creek Area starts. From here to the Green Mountain loop (fun loop) its another 7ish miles. And of course this gives you access to the BC area in all its miles of burnt up splendor.

I once talked to a guy at the Platte trailhead that had ridden from downtown Denver and was heading to Buffalo Creek - via Waterton and CT - and then was gonna turn around and go back. I'd need three days.

I probably should have just left this thread to the guys who can give you topos and much more accurate mileage, but typing all this out is kind of like doing that ride myself. Thanks for the opportunity.

Which way? Uphill.
    I once rode from Waterton to the Bucksnort Saloon (great destination for a ride). That was in the 35-40 mile area. You will basically be doing sections 1 and 2 of the Colorado Trail. According to http://www.coloradotrail.org/ it is about 27 miles and about 4300' in elevation gain. If you subtract the 8 miles or so to get to Lenny's Rest from the Waterton trailhead you probably have 19 miles and I would say about 3000-3300' of elevation gain from Lenny's Rest.
    Going to the South Platte TH is a lot of fun, beyond the South Platte the CT is ok, but it can be pretty hot as it goes through burn areas so you have no shade.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    From the Waterton lot to the Platte itself is about 17 miles one way (6 of that being the dirt road). I did it last fall, it was a fun ride, go for it.
    Now with more vitriol!

I can't ride 45!
    Was he a tall lanky guy in his 30's on a grey and white rocky mtm hardtail?

I dream on two wheels
    So do you think it would be a better idea to do it from Buffalo Creek to Waterton Canyon seeing as it might be more of a downhill? Thanks for all the input.

-Simon

"All Hell Breaks Loose"
    Jan 2004
    Last year I rode from the Waterton Canyon parking lot to Buffalo Creek and back. It was about 35 miles each way. My total mileage was in the mid-seventies and it took about 7 hrs., but I rode around in BC some and did a little back-tracking here and there. It was a fun ride and I didn't see anyone on the CO trail in either direction.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    So do you think it would be a better idea to do it from Buffalo Creek to Waterton Canyon seeing as it might be more of a downhill? Thanks for all the input.

-Simon
    It's not going to be that much more downhill in my opinion, and still plenty of climbing too. Unless you live near Buffalo Creek, save the gas, time and money and start at Waterton.

When are you planning your ride?
    TCSMBC (http://tcsmbc.org/index.cfm) is doing a trail building/maintaining of section 1 on 5/6/2006. They're meeting at the Waterton trailhead at 8 am, might be a good way to give back and scope out the first part of the ride.

pin 'er up

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Simonns

-Simon
    It is easier to go from Buffalo Creek to Waterton. When you get to the Platt you will have about a four mile death march out though, just know that. Both ways are worth the effort.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSfit
    I didn't see anyone on the CO trail in either direction.
    Was this in a blizzard in January -- or at 1 AM ??