mtbr member

Colorado Springs - What am I missing?

Living in Castle Rock, it sure is convenient to head south to the Springs, instead of north to Golden, I-70 area trails even though the distance is about the same. But, although there seems to be a lot of trails down there, I haven't found the super great stuff, if its there. That is, with the excpetion of Monument/Mt Herman, and Falcon trail, which are both really good IMO. So of the others, I'm trying to pick a good one for tomorrow based on Singletracks.com info, so tell me what you think. My impressions below are mostly just based on what I see on Singletracks.com, so I'm not knocking any trail, just looking for info. What am I missing?

Captain Jacks - Hear a lot about it but it looks short with a lot of dirt road. It gets good ratings though??
    Bear Creek Park - Been there, not too impressed
    Jones downhill - shuttle unless you want a 22 mile ride with half of it on road. I don't.
    Elk Park trail - Shuttle. I'm on my own.
    Pipeline - Shuttle
    Palmer park - Been there. Its good for in the city, but looking for more of a wilderness experience.
    Intemann Memorial trail - 2.5 miles out, then back?
    Lovell gulch - I'm curious about this one. Good?
    Rampart reservoir - That ones cool, I almost forgot about it.
    Waldo - Been there. Too many hikers, but maybe a weekday morning wouldn't be bad?

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    I try to get out of Colo Spgs on the weekends if I can. In town trails are good for after work but like you I prefer a deep woods experience. I did not like riding Capt Jacks much at all. A few good spots but the rest seriously loose, moto chewed, gulley of a trail. Prolly liked by the downhill crowd.

Falcon is my favorite in town trail followed by Rampart which is slightly out of town.

Cheyenne Mountain State Park is nice. Worth trying if you haven't. We put together a 15 mile route so that we can get our moneys worth when paying to get in.

A little further south to Pueblo South Shore trails when it cools down a little. Worth the drive IMO

C

mtbr member
    Thanks Curtis. When you get out of town, where do you go (besides Pueblo)?
    I guess I should have been clear that I'm not looking for an "in town" ride, just something nearby, like for Denver rides, I would list stuff around Idaho Springs, Evergreen, etc, for example.
    But Cheyenne Mountain looks interesting. What's the good route there? It sounds like a lot of the trails are not really bike friendly?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    There's nothing worth riding down here, but if you were to come, CMSP is a good bet. Great XC trails, good signage and low crowds.

Sometime if you give me a little more advance notice, I'll give you a tour of some of our other not worth riding trails that aren't on your list.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Chutes/Buckhorn/Capn Jacks/Chutes is one of my favorite rides ever, it was the first ride I did in Colorado in '93. CJ is a kinda ripped up moto rut, but a really, really fun kind of ripped up moto rut.
    Park at the bottom of the Chutes, climb singletrack to Gold Camp Road, spin for a few miles on a scenic, sometimes busy dirt road, continue through two tunnels, past the big parking lot, climb Buckhorn singletrack, descend to Cap.n J's, pedal a bit, then enjoy the berms and ruts. Coast a bit of dirt road back down to the Chutes and enjoy swoopy, bermy goodness.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    We are coming to your area Sunday (Indian Creek). Tomorrow I am fortunate enough to have a host for Falcon so that will be a nice ride. Buffalo Creek is another of my weekend rides.
    I have been wanting to check Lovell also but I think it may be a short ride.

You can connect Intemann to Red Rocks for a decent loop.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53736759

C

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Chutes/Buckhorn/Capn Jacks/Chutes is one of my favorite rides ever, it was the first ride I did in Colorado in '93. CJ is a kinda ripped up moto rut, but a really, really fun kind of ripped up moto rut.
    Park at the bottom of the Chutes, climb singletrack to Gold Camp Road, spin for a few miles on a scenic, sometimes busy dirt road, continue through two tunnels, past the big parking lot, climb Buckhorn singletrack, descend to Cap.n J's, pedal a bit, then enjoy the berms and ruts. Coast a bit of dirt road back down to the Chutes and enjoy swoopy, bermy goodness.
    Just before the first tunnel is a connector trail down to Columbine. Take Columbine to the top (almost) and cut out 95% of the road riding.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you ever need a guide down here in C/S, shoot me a PM. I'm out everyday and your list is missing lots of the best stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There's a lot of good stuff in Cheyenne Mountain. Flowtron's ride is actually my favorite, though I usually skip Buckhorn -- too much ascent for minimal downhill reward on some pretty gnarly switchbacks. But some people like climbing. If that's you, go for it.

I usually go up Chutes to Gold Camp Road, continue up High Drive (the road that continues above the parking lot) to Captain Jacks. I go down Jacks back to Gold Camp, down gold camp, down Chutes. The whole thing takes me a little less than an hour and a half. The climb for me is pretty close to an hour, but I am NOT a strong climber. I'd say the climb up Buckhorn will add another 20 minutes to half hour to my route. If you're coming from out of town, you might want to add it for the sake of riding.

I know people complain about the Pikes Peak Granite pea gravel, but I don't have much of a problem with it anymore. I kind of like it, really. To me, it's worth the climb. Fat tires (at least 2.30) will help immensely.

It didn't sound like you're into a really long ascent, but you can also get to Jones without hitting the road. A lot of people tell me, though, that they curse themselves for taking this route. It's still a very long ride, and some of it is so steep and loose you can't ride. Or so I hear.

Another ride I've been thinking of doing: Chutes to Goldcamp, Goldcamp to Palmer Trail to Section 16, down Section 16 (Section 16 is really gnarly in spots -- downhill, steep, loose gravel, and rocks -- watch out!) to Gold Camp, up up high drive (the long climb up the backside), down Captain Jacks, down chutes. I'd think this route would take a couple hours.

Anyway, other ride people suggested are good, too. Falcon Trail is fun, as is Rampart Res. The thing is, it's a different kind of riding than the stuff in Cheyenne Canon. Kind of more XC oriented. If that's you, you might enjoy those rides a little bit more. But there's good stuff on any trail.

mtbr member
    Hey guys thought id drop a line. Im moving back to the springs from germany and arrive this week. Looking to do some local springs riding, got to get back into the elevation again. Have a garmin 800 for the bike and i downloaded the previous posters route, ill give that a try. Oh i ride a 2011 specialized enduro pro so more into the rough fun stuff rather than huge epic alpine climbs like europe. Ill be running around trying to buy a place up in woodland park and only have a rental till my big jeep gets back into country in aug. My email is mtbikergt78@gmail.com if anybody is riding around the springs this weekend have a iphone so thats my only comms when i get to co.
    Anyways its good to get back to the states and hope i run into some of ya on the trail.

Happy Trails

Jonesy

North Idaho
    I used to like doing Rampart when I was stationed at Carson from 91-93, it was a nice XC experience, nothing too severe. Also used to ride Garden of the Gods back then though they were closing stuff off. I guess it's all closed off to mountain bikes now? Good memories. There is a remote chance I might be moving to Boulder sometime in the next year, it would be good to do some riding back in Colorado again. Idaho and Colorado, my favorite states of all the states (and countries) I have lived in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post

Captain Jacks - Hear a lot about it but it looks short with a lot of dirt road. It gets good ratings though??
    Bear Creek Park - Been there, not too impressed
    Jones downhill - shuttle unless you want a 22 mile ride with half of it on road. I don't.
    Elk Park trail - Shuttle. I'm on my own.
    Pipeline - Shuttle
    Palmer park - Been there. Its good for in the city, but looking for more of a wilderness experience.
    Intemann Memorial trail - 2.5 miles out, then back?
    Lovell gulch - I'm curious about this one. Good?
    Rampart reservoir - That ones cool, I almost forgot about it.
    Waldo - Been there. Too many hikers, but maybe a weekday morning wouldn't be bad?
    I have to say COS riding is all about the loop.

Example - Jones/Pipeline, you can loop this with minimal road by cutting up St Mary's to the Jones Park road. Bear Creek (include the new Stephanie's trail) to Intemann to the west side of Red Rock open space, across Red Rock then back through Bear Creek on single track/double track. Stratton Open Space (Chutes) has lots of single track, Gold Camp Rd up into the canyon then Buckhorn, up and over to 666 or down to Capt Jack's then hop up and over to Columbine then back into Stratton again.

Capt Jack's is fun but bear in mind it is a moto freeway into Cheyenne Canyon.

There is a ton of riding down here with not too much road if you hunt for it. The Medicine Wheel club is planning on cutting a trail from Lake Moraine (Jones Park) to Barr Camp, then you could do a wicked 20+ mile loop.

Or, you could stay in Denver and keep our trails quiet.

Good luck! May want to grab a Pikes Peak Atlas next time you are in town for a good topo/trail map of the area.
    Colorado Springs, CO

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Don't forget Section 16

Nice long, gradual climb followed by a pretty gnarly downhill (must do loop clockwise). Ride stands nicely on its own, but can be combined with an Upper Captain Jack's/Bear Creek Canyon, Intemann/Red Rock Canyon Park or Bear Creek Regional Park/Stephanie's Trail loop.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .