Shread Ready

Colorado Springs Trials - What's open?

I'm having a hard time figuring out where I can go ride here in the Springs. I searched around and it looks like Gold Camp road is now open but access to Buckhorn /Captain Jacks appears to be closed. I noticed a boulder in a picture from a thread a while back at the bottom of captain jacks.

I heard all the hoopla about Bear Creek and know it's off limits due to the trout issue. How about section 16 or Red Rocks Canyon? Any info on the trails that are rideable would be greatly appreciated.

I know Falcon, Mt Herman ,Ute, Palmer are open.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ute Valley park, Palmer Park, Red Rock open space, Cheyenne mtn state park, Stratton open space. they are all open

Shread Ready
    Thanks for the info on Red Rock Canyon. Stratton/Chutes are awesome but to short of a ride and probably to busy on the weekend to have fun coming down the chutes. Any word on Section 16? I think I'll head back to Mt Herman.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    16 is open but I dont know if it is dry. I was there a few weeks ago and lots of ice up higher and mud below but not sure about now???

Shread Ready
    Thanks for the info on 16. Glad to hear it's not closed. Probably not very dry but neither was the Mt. Herman loop I did today.

I only road the trial once before when it was dry. It was icy, muddy, sandy,slushy and snowy goodness. At least I enjoyed the challenge of the back of Mt Herman today. I wouldn't suggest it unless you like that sloppy stuff which happened to be a lot of fun for me today!

My new wheel set and tires handle the snow/ice and mud like a boss. Good times!

Here's a shot of the new wheel set when it was all cleaned up. Best bang for the buck ever! And today's GPS tracks.. White Ghost trail ended up being a really nice surprise. Haven't hit that one before.

Colorado Springs Trials - What's open?-878038d1395195298-post-your-konas-introduce-yourself-p1030310-medium-.jpg

Name:  878039d1395195299t-post-your-konas-introduce-yourself-p1030315-medium-.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  36.3 KB
    Last edited by Thrasher; 04-01-2014 at 05:34 PM.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    Thanks for the info on 16. Glad to hear it's not closed. Probably not very dry but neither was the Mt. Herman loop I did today.

I only road the trial once before when it was dry. It was icy, muddy, sandy,slushy and snowy goodness. At least I enjoyed the challenge of the back of Mt Herman today. I wouldn't suggest it unless you like that sloppy stuff which happened to be a lot of fun for me today!

My new wheel set and tires handle the snow/ice and mud like a boss. Good times!

Here's a shot of the new wheel set when it was all cleaned up. Best bang for the buck ever! And today's GPS tracks.. White Ghost trail ended up being a really nice surprise. Haven't hit that one before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	878038d1395195298-post-your-konas-introduce-yourself-p1030310-medium-.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	880932

Name:  878039d1395195299t-post-your-konas-introduce-yourself-p1030315-medium-.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  36.3 KB

Mt. Herman Loop by dawgdude at Garmin Connect - Details
    High drive to the Palmer trail to section is closed. Had a Colorado Springs utilities guy tell me "your not riding it today" at the high drive gate last Wednesday. Not stopping to chit chat next time.

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    High drive to the Palmer trail to section is closed. Had a Colorado Springs utilities guy tell me "your not riding it today" at the high drive gate last Wednesday. Not stopping to chit chat next time.
    Huh, I never heard anything about Palmer trail and I've road a lot of this area? I even road all the way up high drive from the bottom of Goldcamp by the ranger station or whatever and don't recall anything about Palmer.

Don't see it listed on this map either?

http://www.springsgov.com/units/park.../nchey-pg1.pdf

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Trust me its closed, there is a link to the map of closed trails under the interesting facts about bear creek I think. Its all a total load of BS. Its not being actively patrolled so I wouldn't worry to much, just pretend you dont speak English.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    After the floods a sign was posted at the bottom of High Drive saying the park is closed but the hikers and bikers still go up it.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    After the floods a sign was posted at the bottom of High Drive saying the park is closed but the hikers and bikers still go up it.
    I think the trails in N Cheyenne Canon Park are open but the USFS trails are closed.

"North Cheyenne Canon Park will reopen to the public 5 a.m. Saturday" (Dec, 2013)
    "While all hiking trails will be accessible on city land in North Cheyenne Canon Park, Hovermale said Forest Service trails along Gold Camp Road that link to city land will remain closed. People hiking in that area will be met with signage wherever access is denied."

If there is no signage saying it's closed then it's probably open. FWIW I wouldn't trust a CSU employee to tell me something is open or closed. They have no jurisdiction in City Parks nor are they City employees.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    If there is no signage saying it's closed then it's probably open. FWIW I wouldn't trust a CSU employee to tell me something is open or closed. They have no jurisdiction in City Parks nor are they City employees.

Hmmmmm, Realy?! I'm fairly certain it was a a CSU truck!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    Hmmmmm, Realy?! I'm fairly certain it was a a CSU truck!
    CSU is a city owned business.

Trails and Parks Update | TOSC

7 Bridges (#622)and St. Mary’s Falls (#624) trails are open. Parking lot at intersection of Gold Camp Road and High Drive is open and much larger. Pipeline (#668) and #666 remain closed.
    High Drive (closed) – no improvements yet, property boundary issues, will get update from FEMA Nov. 15th
    Mt. Cutler Trail and Bridge open. Fiberglass bridge structure appears ok.
    Incline (open) additional damage – $500,000. The City is hoping that FEMA covers that extra cost. Incline just received GOCO grant of $350,000 for rehabilitation work.
    Palmer Park (open)
    Greenway at S. Circle (Closed) it will take 270 truck-loads of material to fill gap. Needs to be armored to prevent from reoccurring. (no work done yet)
    Sinton Trail (Open) detour created (no change)
    Temporary closures will affect Black Forest Regional Park (playground area) and the Pikes Peak Greenway this winter, while planned construction and upgrades are completed beginning in October.
    The City of Colorado Springs is moving forward with significant improvements to key segments of the Pikes Peak Greenway to upgrade the trail to current Trail Master Plan standards, including some ADA improvements and replacement of failing asphalt with concrete.

CLOSURES:

• The US Forest Service announced trails in the Bear Creek Watershed have been closed, including the Palmer Loop. Forest Service trails 665, 667, 668, 701 and 720, from the junction with 701 to 668, are closed to all users. The emergency order says the closure will remain in effect until September 2014 unless rescinded.
    • Greenway from Nevada south. 150-foot section is gone, work needed includes embankment, bridge and trail. Will be closed significant amount of time due to extent and complexity of damage.
    • Bear Creek Canon Park
    • Harlan Wolfe Park - both homes on site damaged, trail gone, garden untouched.
    • Black Forest Regional Park–active use area open, trails and playground closed. The playground was washed away; Pikes Peak Community Foundation is helping to fund replacement.
    • Rainbow Falls. Damage to the hillside; County has a grant and is waiting for CDOT to complete stabilization project in order to begin construction.

OPEN:

• Blodgett Peak
    • Palmer Park - damage to foot bridge and roads, but open
    • Sinton Trail - neighborhood access gone, detour in place
    • Red Rock Canyon Open Space - ponds have water
    • Ute Valley Park
    • Garden of the Gods is open as is Foothills Trail!
    • Rock Ledge Ranch
    • Cheyenne Mountain State Park
    • Bear Creek Regional Park
    • Fountain Creek Regional Trail. Portions are closed due to damage–see the map here.
    • Incline. Significant damage – $500,000 to repair new damage; lost lots of soil.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Can you hit CJ's to the Chutes?

Resident Gear Head
    Stratton and the chutes are open , technically CJ is closed but people have been riding it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That's what I thought, it was like that in the early 2000s and people just hopped the gate and went up

It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB Colorado Springs
    www.TeamRWB.org

mtbr member
    You spring folks get any of this last snowstorm ?

Yeah, I know, wrong thread, just looking for a quick answer !

mtbr member
    Yep. We had ~5" here on the west side, by Ute. AFA/Falcon is probably pretty messy. Don't know how the SW part of town (by Stratton) fared. Parts of town were upwards of 7", too.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    CSU is a city owned business.

Incline (open) additional damage – $500,000. The City is hoping that FEMA covers that extra cost. Incline just received GOCO grant of $350,000 for rehabilitation work.
    If this is referring to the manitou incline that price is ridiculous! It looks like it has for years and I think it is perfect the way it is. Thanks to all the volunteers that help repair it as needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I just did the incline, not sure where half a mil is needed. Maybe swap out some of the big metal pipes with the holes in it, but that's just being picky because my dog hated them lol.

It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB Colorado Springs
    www.TeamRWB.org