mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Colorado Springs Trail Conditions

My wife and I are going down to CO Springs Sunday to ride. I have never ridden there so am looking for some thoughts as well as trail conditions. I am looking at Air Force Academy Falcon Trail, Rampart Reservoir Trail or Lovell Gulch. She is a newer rider so I am hoping one of these will work for her. Also are all the trails clear of snow and mud? thanks for the help.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by sacstatemtbr View Post
    My wife and I are going down to CO Springs Sunday to ride. I have never ridden there so am looking for some thoughts as well as trail conditions. I am looking at Air Force Academy Falcon Trail, Rampart Reservoir Trail or Lovell Gulch. She is a newer rider so I am hoping one of these will work for her. Also are all the trails clear of snow and mud? thanks for the help.
    Rampart Res is closed--it was heavily impacted by the Waldo Canyon fire last year. I don't think I have ever heard of Lovell Gulch so I can't help you with that one. The Falcon trail is a good choice, but its length (15 miles from outside the gate or 12 miles for just the loop) might be daunting to a newer rider. Also, the north side of town got more snow so there could be some muddy spots on Falcon still on Sunday.

I would steer you in the direction of Cheyenne Mountain State Park on the south side of town. The trails are beginner friendly and offer multiple loop choices so you can ride as much or as little as you would like. The trails are also very well signed, and your $7/car entrance fee gets you a nice map of them. Since it was south of most of the snow, it should be dry by Sunday. There are some technical-ish trails there too so you can push her a little if she is comfortable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I am riding the Falcon Trail in 1.5 hours. I will try to post a trail condition report. Should be nice by the weekend regardless. If she is a newer rider though the climb around mile 6 will be challenge!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Falcon Trail was great today. One or two very small mud spots; but nice and fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How would Captain Jack's be tomorrow?
    2 wheels == True

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Heading down to the springs tomorrow for the first time for a ride. What are my best options with the conditions tomorrow??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    Heading down to the springs tomorrow for the first time for a ride. What are my best options with the conditions tomorrow??
    We have a group headed down as well, riding Ute & Palmer tomorrow, have been informed both are going to be sweet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Camping Cheyenne Mountain State Park now. Trails are great and all dry!

Indian Brother
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnelson View Post
    How would Captain Jack's be tomorrow?
    Probably just fine.

Up by LRR today - north sides had some snow, but that's way higher than CJ. Should be ok.

We'll probably be riding it tomorrow, actually.