mtbr member

Colorado Springs Rides?

Hi,

I am going to be in Colorado Springs for a few days and would like to do their best rides. I will arrive the evening of June 24 and I am hoping to ride the 25th, 26th, 27th, and maybe 28th.

I am pretty close to being an advanced rider (although I am not into jumping off boulders). I have not found a trail I haven't been able to ride (I have walked a couple of stretches of certain trails). I can ride pretty technical stuff yet also enjoy cross country (52 miles is my longest day-ride). You can get a good idea of what I've ridden by looking at my website called

Mountain Bike Dairies

So, I am wondering what trails I should ride and also looking for riding partners.

When I ride with people I usually feature them in my stories (unless they prefer not to be).

Let me know your favorite trails and whether you'd like to take me on them.

Thanks,

Joe

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Hi Joe,

We have a standing Wednesday evening ride that you're welcome to attend. I have no idea where we will be going that day, but pay attention to this forum on Monday and look for a post with something like "Springs evening ride" or "Inflexibles ride" and you can figure out what we are planning that week. If you have lights, throw them in your car. We meet at 6:00 and are usually done by 9:00, but last Wednesday we rode until 10:00 so it's good to have them just in case.

While you're here, you should ride Palmer Park, Captain Jacks, and Cheyenne Mountain State Park at a minimum. Bonus points for riding Red Rocks Open Space, Ute Valley, and the Mt. Herman Preserve (in Monument) in addition to the ones I mentioned in the first sentence. Check out theinflexibles.com for more information about who we are and some trail info for the Springs.

gotta get up to get down
    good recommendations Kman!

also there's falcon trail @ the air force academy for pure cross country style riding & palmer trail to section 16 (above red rocks open space) is more of an all mountain style ride. both are worth riding as well depending on the time you have available.

palmer park & ute valley are sort of "get lost in a city park" type of riding, with a bit of everything depending on where you look and are good to ride with people that know the trails because they tend to be a maze

captain jacks isn't that technical, pretty nice climb in the canyon followed by a scree-surfing descent down a (often rutted by dirt bikers) gravelly trail. most people either love it or hate it, all the locals I can think of really enjoy riding cheyenne canyon the most so CJ's falls under MUST DO for sure.

You rode that?!
    Nov 2010
    Joe, cool site! In checking the type of riding you do, I really think you will really like riding Cheyenne Mountain State Park and Falcon Trail in the Air Force Academy grounds.

Like P_DuBs and Kristian recommended, join us for our Wednesday ride, great group of guys and awesome trails. But even if you can't post where you plan on riding and the time and I may join you.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'll be riding somewhere around C/S 25-27 June and am happy for company/play tour guide. The riding choices are pretty extensive and I'm free most of everyday so can show you all the singletrack you want. PM me if you want.

mtbr member

Colorado Springs Rides

I am going to be in Colorado Springs for a few days and would like to do their best rides. I will arrive the evening of June 24 and I am hoping to ride the 25th, 26th, 27th, and maybe 28th.
    Sorry, I am going to have to change those dates. I will be in Colorado Springs on June 28th, 29th, 30th, and July 1st.

Thanks to all,

Joe
    Mountain Bike Diaries

You rode that?!
    Nov 2010
    Oh July 1st is my bday! I was planning to find a long ride or couple of middle ones. Buffalo Creek is a cool place to ride, and is about 1:30 hrs from the springs in case you are interested.

mtbr member

Buffalo on the 1st?

Oh July 1st is my bday! I was planning to find a long ride or couple of middle ones. Buffalo Creek is a cool place to ride, and is about 1:30 hrs from the springs in case you are interested.
    I am pretty sure this will work. We are leaving Colorado Springs that day to start to head home. We could stop at Buffalo Creek, do the ride, then continue on our way to the west.

Let me know if your offer still holds.

Thanks,

Oh yea, my email is joe@mountain-bike-diaries.com and my phone is 619-980-5430. Call me or sens me a text.

Thanks again,

mtbr member
    Anyone want to take me out riding on the 29th or 30th? I will feature you on my website (unless you choose not to).

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Hey,

Are you still thinking of riding on your birthday? Are you still offering to ride with me? Please let me know so I can make a few other plans.

Thanks,

You rode that?!
    Nov 2010
    Hi Joe, so sorry for not responding sooner. Been traveling for work and just got back this week. I don't think the trip to buffalo is a go anymore. Me and some friends got the crazy idea of riding down the Pikes Peak Barr trail. I've never done that before and sounds like a fun/crazy thing to do for a birthday ride.

I will let you know if anything changes, but it looks like we are doing the peak.

Hope you enjoy your time in the springs and get some nice rides!

mtbr member
    Could someone give me some info on Captain Jacks please? I'm in Castle Rock but have never done Captain Jacks. It seems to get good reviews, but the guide I have says its only 5 miles long and part of that is just dirt road. It must somehow be better than the impression I get from the description of it. So, what makes it good? Do you combine it with other trails? Do multiple loops of it? etc.
    Thanks.

I did it all for the kudo
    Hey Joe,
    Great riding today! Hope you enjoyed it as well, have a safe trip back home to Cali. Hit us up if your ever in town again.
    Peace, Keith

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Could someone give me some info on Captain Jacks please? I'm in Castle Rock but have never done Captain Jacks. It seems to get good reviews, but the guide I have says its only 5 miles long and part of that is just dirt road. It must somehow be better than the impression I get from the description of it. So, what makes it good? Do you combine it with other trails? Do multiple loops of it? etc.
    Thanks.
    You can get to the top via buckhorn which gives you the full experience or ride up high drive and catch it there(lower). Depends on how much climbing you want to do and where you're starting from.

Why is it good? You don't have to pedal, very much. Just listen for motos if you decide to bomb it. More hikers than usual also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    You can get to the top via buckhorn which gives you the full experience or ride up high drive and catch it there(lower). Depends on how much climbing you want to do and where you're starting from.

Why is it good? You don't have to pedal, very much. Just listen for motos if you decide to bomb it. More hikers than usual also.
    Thanks. After the lack of response, I figured I'd go see for myself. The loop I did on Friday was about 7 miles, according to my highly accurate android GPS app. I climbed up High drive to that upper lot, and then through the gate, up dog poop road, up the trail, and then down down down to the road intersection with 665 then down down some more and back to the car.

It was way better than I expected, and on Friday, hardly a soul to be found.
    As far as downhills go, it is shorter, but seemed to be on the same quality level as the charlies cutoff, homestead, sandy etc downhill at Buffalo Creek.

Now I understand.