mtbr member
    May 2018

Colorado Springs - Bike rental and where to ride

Going to be in Colorado Springs this weekend and have a free day Friday. I wanted to rent decent Fs bikes for the wife and I and do some riding. We were looking at Garden of the Gods for xc riding with good views but want to see if thatís the best option. Please let me know if thereís something better!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MXIV424 View Post
    Going to be in Colorado Springs this weekend and have a free day Friday. I wanted to rent decent Fs bikes for the wife and I and do some riding. We were looking at Garden of the Gods for xc riding with good views but want to see if thatís the best option. Please let me know if thereís something better!!!
    Garden of the Gods never even came up on my radar as far as good rides in CoSprings. Check out trailforks and mtbproject. They have some good stuff.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Post here >> Colorado - Front Range - Mtbr.com

Many Co. Springs riders frequent this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

ENDO!!!
    Garden of the Gods is beautiful but there is only one little area where bikes are allowed off the main road. If you like technical there is Palmer Park. Ute Valley is great to. Both places you can ride for an hour or half the day. If you want longer and more "epic" there is always Cheyenne Canyon. Trailforks is really good for the area. If you open up your area more, it can be very hard to decide. If you have any further questions PM me and I can give you more info!
    Just circles turning circles....

Nothing seems to kill me
    I believe Criterium and Old Town rent fullys. Criterium is not too far from Ute Valley Park.
    Ute Valley and Palmer are my personal favorites but can be a little techy. Short punchy climbs with short fast techy downhills. And just a ton of spots to catch air.

Cheyenne Mountain State Park is great for XC riding, but it's like 6 or 7 bones to get in. North Cheyenne Canyon is great too, just a little crowded sometimes and the trails are over used imho. And they allow motorcycles in some areas.

GOG has a small mountain bike area on the East side. One of the rides along the ridge is fun and flowy but short.

There is also Red Rocks Open Space on the West side off of hwy 24. It has a bunch of XC stuff. But it can also get crowded with hikers, but maybe not so much earlier in the day.
    I choose to live and to lie..kill and to give and to die..learn and love and to do what it takes to step through. MJK

Moderator Moderator
    For the combo or XCish riding and views, I'd recommend Red Rocks, use the east side parking lot off of 31st street and hwy 24, that side of the park is less crowded, and you should be fine on a Friday. There's definitely tech stuff there if you want it, but much of it is fairly mellow. The east side of the park is rockier than the west for the most part, White acres trail, the Codell trail segments, and the Overlook trail are all good to link up. If you're ambitous, you can also head south out of the park into Bear Creek and hit Stephanies, or up High Drive and Buckhorn/Captain Jacks and back to RR.

It's the same geology as Garden of the Gods, so you can get your sandstone experience, but a much larger riding area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Palmer Park is great to make it what you want. There's some XC stuff all the way to highly technical. The climbs aren't long and you can play all day there. The only thing is make sure you pay attention to the map and have a plan if you're looking to avoid technical stuff otherwise it'll find you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I should say, I do like the Falcon trail a lot on the Air Force Academy if I want more XC stuff.

Formerly of Kent

Colorado Springs - Bike rental and where to ride

Red Rocks is now my ďhomeĒ trail system. Ride there every day. Plenty of fun XC trails there. I live west of the park but mostly ride the east side. A bit more open (less oak growth) and more technical.

Park on the east side. Or, the north side if you want a warm up on the access roads. If you keep going north to White Acres it will dump you out onto Gold Camp Road. If you turn right/south it will take you into the Section 16 area of North Cheyenne. Some good XC trails in there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks everyone.

Got bikes from Tedís and Old town. Both of those places recommended Cheyenne Mountain and Red Rock as you guys did. Iíll bring up the trails on Trailforks and see what the Mrs. wants to do. Thanks again!

Formerly of Kent
    Cool. Let us know how your ride goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I just saw this, but have nothing to add. The bike shops you chose, OP, are both solid. The trails mentioned are indeed fun to ride. I like Red Rocks, having done some trail maintenance projects out there. Enjoy the Springs.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I did some of the stuff near Cheyenne Canyon Park (Captain Jacks, etc.). It was good.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.