mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Colorado Springs Best

Hello friends, I'm planning to visit some family in Colorado Springs mid June, and would like some trail advice. I have only one day available for riding, so would like to hit the best trail you have to offer. I'm looking for pure mountain biking enjoyment, and I love all aspects of riding (XC, AM, FR, & DH). I'm not looking for an epic all day adventure, but a fun ride with good rewards (ie. permagrin when completed ). All suggestions welcome. Thanks

Makson
    SLC, utah

Indian Brother
    Quote Originally Posted by makson View Post
    Hello friends, I'm planning to visit some family in Colorado Springs mid June, and would like some trail advice. I have only one day available for riding, so would like to hit the best trail you have to offer. I'm looking for pure mountain biking enjoyment, and I love all aspects of riding (XC, AM, FR, & DH). I'm not looking for an epic all day adventure, but a fun ride with good rewards (ie. permagrin when completed ). All suggestions welcome. Thanks

Makson
    SLC, utah
    Well, you'll sometimes hear us complaining about doing it too often, but it's really world class. For example, I haven't been on it since at least eight hours ago.

Buckhorn and Cap'n Jacks. Hard not to be smilin' great big smiles after those lines. I recommend the start from Stratton. You can take Gold Camp all the way to Bucky, but for a little more riding, Spring Creek to Columbine, then up to Bucky and Jacks, gives you some of the best riding around.

Let us know when you come out, might even join you. Most curious to see how our trails compare with SLC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by makson View Post

Makson
    SLC, utah
    Falcon Trail on USAFA -- 14mi, great fun XC trail, about 1400ft of climbing. Stop at the South Entrance visitor station and they'll give you directions - I like to park by Outdoor Rec and pick up the trail behind the service station across the street. Perfectly maintained, but some sand in places if it's been dry for a week or more, and there are other trail users (runners, hikers, horses -- no motos, thankfully). I've treed bear out there, and even scared up a Lynx -- no kidding. You will have permagrin! Map:

http://www.usafa.af.mil/shared/media...-UV830-001.jpg

Cheyenne Mountain State Park, down by Fort Carson. Tons of trails, some more technical than others - choose your own adventure, ride as long as you want or have time to do. Map:
    http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCol...SPTrailMap.pdf

Both locations have hosted 24-hour events and other races, so they're the real deal.

Enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hmmm....only one ride = Falcon Trail (little bit of everything)