mtbr member

Colorado Springs

On a scale from 1 to 10 how would you rate Colorado Springs as a mountain bike destination?

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010

A lot of trail variety, not always easy to find though. A locals knowledge may be needed.

Medicine Wheel Guy
    8 plus. Lots of trails that you can bike to from town, plus tone more within a short drive.

mtbr member
    7.5 - 8 I miss the Springs riding!

Candlestick Maker
    5ish ish
    baker

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Compared to Jeffco a 10.

Ouch!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onegeargood
    On a scale from 1 to 10 how would you rate Colorado Springs as a mountain bike destination?
    As a destination? Compared to what?

I can think of other places I'd probably go specifically for a bike vacation (Moab, Fruita, Northeast Kingdom of VT, Vancouver for a few).

Now, if you're coming to the Springs to do typical tourist things and want to add some bike time, it'd be a great idea!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I was wondering if the trails were good enough moving for.

mtbr member
    I was wondering if the trails were good enough moving for.
    Well, assuming you have your job situation covered, there is great riding here!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I feel like I'm missing something on the Springs trails. Palmer Park is great fun, techy goodness. I've ridden Jones Downhill, Captain Jacks and The Chutes - awesome shuttle. I've finding that a lot of trails down here are Sandy compared to Jeffco. Guess I just need more time to explore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i would trade sand for crowds and access issues any day. the springs is a solid 8-9 as a great place to ride. explore you should, maybe look a little north lots of hidden gems before the palmer/monument divide, you just have to look for them. the proof is in the monument guys giving it a 5ish ish. they are spoiled up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    As a destination i would say 1, same goes for Denver. They both have great riding but if i were to be planning a vacation and my number one priority was mountain biking the springs would never be a consideration.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by mczen
    i would trade sand for crowds and access issues any day. the springs is a solid 8-9 as a great place to ride. explore you should, maybe look a little north lots of hidden gems before the palmer/monument divide, you just have to look for them. the proof is in the monument guys giving it a 5ish ish. they are spoiled up there.
    I have no idea what you're talking about... ;-)

Seriously though, I moved to the Springs in '94 from back East. I never ever regret it.
    baker

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper
    I feel like I'm missing something on the Springs trails. Palmer Park is great fun, techy goodness. I've ridden Jones Downhill, Captain Jacks and The Chutes - awesome shuttle. I've finding that a lot of trails down here are Sandy compared to Jeffco. Guess I just need more time to explore.
    You do need to get out a little more... What about Cheyenne Mountain SP, Pipeline, Buckhorn, Bear Creek - 666, Mt. Herman, AFA, Rampart, Pike NF, Manitou Section 16, Inteman, Ring the Peak, etc... take your pick.

As for the other comments, we do have scree (decomposed granite) down here, not what I would consider just sand. Mt. Herman could be considered a little sandy maybe? And it's not everywhere, just in certain areas.

Our geography is not like Jeffco/Boulder with large granite outcrops and a clayey soil. Everything is more decomposed and loose. That means it dries faster when it rains. = more riding.

Monument/Mt. Herman is A+ riding. The downside is a shorter season as the snow sticks around a lot longer.

Winters aren't as bad as Denver's can be, even though we are a bit higher up. Summer heat can be brutal, but it's that way everywhere, isn't it?

Downside is day trips to resorts/mountains are tougher logistically. Upside is Pueblo, Crusty Butt and Durango are closer than they are to Denver.

Also, trail cops are nonexistent, the City is too broke to worry about employing rangers. I guess we police ourselves, but it would be nice to see someone do something about the dogs on the trail. They can be a pain in close to town.

UT

Oh yeah. Expect a pay cut. Except for NORAD and NORCOM, this is a blue collar community.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    As a destination i would say 1, same goes for Denver. They both have great riding but if i were to be planning a vacation and my number one priority was mountain biking the springs would never be a consideration.
    Have to agree on that. Yeah, the trails are fun, and its nice to have so much variety close by, but if I was doing major miles to go riding I can think of a lot of places I would visit before going to the Springs. If you are here for other reasons then bring your bike; if you are thinking of making a trip to Colorado to sample the best the state has to offer then you may want to think of another place besides Colorado Springs.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

I think the meaning of "destination" was cleared up . . .

. . . when the original poster said "worth moving to."

On that front, the Springs is easily a 9 (there's probably no such thing as a 10 in this category). The Springs is one of very few sizeable cities where one can actually find a job and still have great trails right out the door.

Sure, if you're planning a biking vacation, the Springs isn't even in the top ten. But try to find work that will support your lifestyle in Moab, Sedona or Downieville! If you want to live where you can ride a great variety of trails and have all the amenities of civilization, you can't beat this.

I live in the SW portion of town and can ride Section 16, Buckhorn, Jack's, Columbine, Intemann, Red Rock Canyon, Pipeline, Jones' Park, Chutes, Stratton and many more less well-know trails all without ever getting in my car. What's more, I can easily hit Palmer Park, Ute Valley Park, or Cheyenne Mountain on my way home from work (these are all great after work rides).

Monument and Rampart Reservoir are just up the road and super epics like the Monarch Crest and Buffalo Creek are an easy day trip. So is Summit County and all it's world class riding--ditto Winter Park.

Legit destinations like Fruita, Moab, Crested Butte, Durango, and Steamboat are all easy weekend trips.

When the local trails get snowed in, it's a short drive to Colorado's "banana belt" to hit the year round access to great trails near Pueblo to keep the skills sharp in winter.

There's also a very stron fitness community in general and a very strong biking community in particular. The Springs is consistently rated as the fittes or one of the fittest cities in the nation--and for good reason; the geography inspires you to get out and be active.

If you need the real big city stuff, Denver's only an hour away.

Not sure how any of this doesn't merit a high mark given the expressed criteria. Far be it from me to encourage new arrivals as I liked the place better a few hundred thousand residents ago, but the fact is this place rocks for mountain biking. That was a major factor in my deciding to settle here.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

Thread Terrorist
    As it always goes, everyone assumes they know your riding.

What are you into? XC, climbing, DH, FR, Trials, DJ...

If you enjoy making it up to the resorts for some DH, then there are some Cons with Colorado Springs. (mainly the extra time added to the drive).

DJ spots: more in the Denver area
    DH - resort Access: Denver/Denver west
    DH shuttleable access without getting beat up: COS
    Density of trails: Denver
    Less crowds: CO Springs
    Tech sections: CO Springs
    Trials: Better trials scene here than COS, but overall pretty good.
    Bike Parks: Denver
    Religion: CO springs
    Defense against Terrorists: CO Springs
    # of bail bonds companies: CO Springs
    # of marajuana dispenseries: Denver
    Most expensive place to live: Boulder (denver)
    Traffic: CO Springs (hint, there are only like 2 north/south routes that go all the way through) is horrible
    Nightclubs: Denver
    Access to international destinations: Denver
    # of quirky SSers: Denver
    Microbrews: Denver
    Views: CO springs
    Access to Fruita/Moab: Grand Junction
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Everyone will usually rate their area better than others, but nothing can be debated when it comes to local knowledge. You can find great riding in either place, but the answers are in what you're into. If you'll make a million a year in COS AND you can ride, it may be answer. The key to the whole answer is put yourself in a good location regardless of where you end up. Stay closer to the mountains and you'll obviously have close and quick access. I didn't care where I ended up, as long as I could turn a corner and be on a trail was critical.

As for Jobs, there are just more in the Denver area (based on population alone). But again, it depends on what you do. Engineering? Both are good. Preacher? COS may be a better spot. Military carreers are better in COS. Denver has a ton of business tech. I don't think you can really go wrong with either place.

I prefer Denver based on my job. I'm only 35 minutes from the airport and 2 minutes from singletrack. The traffic where I'm at isn't bad, and the small town I'm in (Golden) has a real sense of community. we have 4 bike shops in a town of 16k. Surrounded by lots of trails within 10 minutes, and TONS of mt bikers throughout the town.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Density of trails: Denver

Traffic: CO Springs (hint, there are only like 2 north/south routes that go all the way through) is horrible
    Density: COS is really only from Monument to Cheyenne Mtn, and there is a sick amount of trails tucked into that area

Traffic: I just spent the last couple of weeks in LA, and yea COS traffic can back up, but it's only a couple of miles, Denco and LA have jams that last for miles and miles and miles, spend a afternoon (or any time of the day) sitting in a jam in either of those and COS seems tame

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Compared to other areas, trail access in COS is great, I give it a 7-8. You can ride just about anywhere with ease by linking dirt trails, bike paths, etc to your final true MTB trail. You can epic from you doorstep. Plus, Crested Butte is only 3.5 hours west and Moab isnt much further and you can ride nearly year-round when you factor in Pueblo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've lived both places and I do have to say I've mountain biked more in COS than in Denver. That might be due to the fact I worked three jobs while I lived in Denver? There is riding to be had in either place. Both have some awesome options.

However, Denver has worse traffic. My 13 mile drive to work took about an hour. 225 south to 25 south to the tech center, every day during rush hour in the morning and evening. I can get from North COS to Fountain during rush hour faster than I could get home in Denver.

I'm with stupid
    Nope Colorado Springs sucks, all full to many people look somewhere else