mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Colorado Springs 20-30mi ride

What is the best Colorado Springs area ride I can do that is 20-30miles.. From Denver and need to keep myself busy until mid afternoon in the Springs on 4th of July. Something comparable to Indian Creek-Buff Creek-Kenosha out and back. I can't seem to find many options besides Ute Valley and Capt Jacks.. they don't seem to provide enough continuous fun by their reviews.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Chutes-Spring Creek-Columbines-Road to Blue Columbine-St Marys-Buckhorn-Capt Jacks-Chutes.

Or if you feel like pedaling 20 miles of road, Gold Camp to Old Stage to Jones Park Down.

One of these should meet your needs...

mtbr member
    2 laps of the Falcon Trail would get you ~26 miles. Run one loop each way (CW and CCW).
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwine View Post
    Chutes-Spring Creek-Columbines-Road to Blue Columbine-St Marys-Buckhorn-Capt Jacks-Chutes.

Or if you feel like pedaling 20 miles of road, Gold Camp to Old Stage to Jones Park Down.

One of these should meet your needs...
    Thanks for the info on both of these.. Falcon looks very similar to Lair O The Bear.

Do you happen to have a map that shows these trails above being connected? Sounds closer to the "epic" kind of ride I am looking for. Unfamiliar with CO Springs though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Unfortunately, not a good one. You can ride the chutes loop and omitting Blue Columbine/ St Marys sections without a map. Start at the Stratton Open Space and follow the signs up to Gold Camp Rd, continue climbing on road (pavement turns to dirt) until you see Spring Creek trail marker. Take left, after descending for a bit take the right at a Y. Right will continue climbing. Follow Columbines all the way to pavement, climb pavement to a dirt parking lot. Head west on a closed road for maybe a mile. There will be a well worn (unmarked) trail headed up and right at an angle. Continue climbing to top of Jacks. Descend Jacks, cross dirt road, continue down back to Gold Camp Rd. Follow Gold Camp Rd back down to Chutes and descend back to parking lot. Won't be 30 miles, but closer to 20; however you'll get some climbing in for sure.

You rode that?!
    Nov 2010
    I also recommend riding Falcon CW and CCW. they feel like a different trail completely and is very well balanced... you get good climbing, fun descents, some techie stuff (very little) and 26 miles of fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwine View Post
    Unfortunately, not a good one. You can ride the chutes loop and omitting Blue Columbine/ St Marys sections without a map. Start at the Stratton Open Space and follow the signs up to Gold Camp Rd, continue climbing on road (pavement turns to dirt) until you see Spring Creek trail marker. Take left, after descending for a bit take the right at a Y. Right will continue climbing. Follow Columbines all the way to pavement, climb pavement to a dirt parking lot. Head west on a closed road for maybe a mile. There will be a well worn (unmarked) trail headed up and right at an angle. Continue climbing to top of Jacks. Descend Jacks, cross dirt road, continue down back to Gold Camp Rd. Follow Gold Camp Rd back down to Chutes and descend back to parking lot. Won't be 30 miles, but closer to 20; however you'll get some climbing in for sure.
    Sounds like I am going to get lost.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by xalos1 View Post
    I also recommend riding Falcon CW and CCW. they feel like a different trail completely and is very well balanced... you get good climbing, fun descents, some techie stuff (very little) and 26 miles of fun
    I typed up something replying to this thread last night but it didn't post... Anyways, that was one of my suggestions too. While it's not as "epic" as some other routes, it is predictable and easy to follow. It is fun in both directions too (unless you're on a singlespeed in which case it's only fun counterclockwise ).

Another suggestion is to just get lost in Palmer Park--it's a very dense network of trails. You could ride there all afternoon and if you're lucky you won't ever ride the same trail twice. You might only go 15 miles and climb 2,000 feet, but I guarantee you that it will be the most grueling afternoons you've spent on a bike in a long time.

You rode that?!
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Another suggestion is to just get lost in Palmer Park--it's a very dense network of trails. You could ride there all afternoon and if you're lucky you won't ever ride the same trail twice. You might only go 15 miles and climb 2,000 feet, but I guarantee you that it will be the most grueling afternoons you've spent on a bike in a long time.
    I second that, but stay away from Edna May or Templeton Trails... Unless you very skilled, love techie stuff or you are the K-Man!!!

Not-quite-geezer RVer
    Hey Klucks, another vote here for Palmer. You've already got a solid fitness base so I'd check out Palmer and experience its, er, unique technical and navigational charms for yourself. Great place. Confusing as hell but harmlessly so being literally surrounded by city. Just ride around for hours hitting anything that looks interesting until you run out of gas, then head downwards and you'll find your way out somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by xalos1 View Post
    I second that, but stay away from Edna May or Templeton Trails... Unless you very skilled, love techie stuff or you are the K-Man!!!
    Blasphemy! Those are the heart and soul of Palmer, right? Even if you can't clean 'em, any self-respecting mountain biker should at least try 'em to see what's what in the world.

Of course I'm some sort of nut who stopped off for an afternoon on our way into Colorado this year with the specific intent of (attempting to) ride Templeton again on my folding bike. Only semi-successful of course but I had a ball trying and didn't die.

Falcon has been on my to-do list for years now. Seems like a really sweet pure XC ride but it never seems to work out schedulewise. Hit that if you're skeered of Palmer, heh. Have fun.
    "Rollin' on 20s and 27.5s" ride reports and more at WWW.DEBCAR.COM : Debbie and Carey's RV Travel Website

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FoldsInHalf View Post
    Hey Klucks, another vote here for Palmer. You've already got a solid fitness base so I'd check out Palmer and experience its, er, unique technical and navigational charms for yourself. Great place. Confusing as hell but harmlessly so being literally surrounded by city. Just ride around for hours hitting anything that looks interesting until you run out of gas, then head downwards and you'll find your way out somehow.

Blasphemy! Those are the heart and soul of Palmer, right? Even if you can't clean 'em, any self-respecting mountain biker should at least try 'em to see what's what in the world.

Of course I'm some sort of nut who stopped off for an afternoon on our way into Colorado this year with the specific intent of (attempting to) ride Templeton again on my folding bike. Only semi-successful of course but I had a ball trying and didn't die.

Falcon has been on my to-do list for years now. Seems like a really sweet pure XC ride but it never seems to work out schedulewise. Hit that if you're skeered of Palmer, heh. Have fun.
    I did Palmer a few months ago when I was down here. Had a blast, but I'm looking for more of a foothills/mtns ride. Pretty surprised at the limited options out here, but I guess Denver makes me spoiled. Falcon sounds like a blast though, going to do a CW loop them CCW as suggested. Palmer is on my way back, so I can hit that up if looking for more.

Carey.. Lets start knocking out some of the CT segments beyond Breck here in a few weeks!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    My sig has a link to local rides and kml's for your gps.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    I did Palmer a few months ago when I was down here. Had a blast, but I'm looking for more of a foothills/mtns ride. Pretty surprised at the limited options out here, but I guess Denver makes me spoiled. Falcon sounds like a blast though, going to do a CW loop them CCW as suggested. Palmer is on my way back, so I can hit that up if looking for more.

Carey.. Lets start knocking out some of the CT segments beyond Breck here in a few weeks!
    Seriously, Colo Spgs has tons of riding, just hard to explain them all.

gotta get up to get down
    ...Pretty surprised at the limited options out here, but I guess Denver makes me spoiled.
    plenty of opportunity to climb 3000-4000 feet in one ride here...

falcon trail is a blast for like 2 seconds and otherwise is tame IMO, would categorize it as a large cross country ride

trails in ute valley/red rocks OS/palmer park/stratton OS are not very sustained up or down so also not crazy epic usually

u want a real ride? go up to forester's/jones park down to 666, or pipeline to 666, or st. mary's, or 8.5/macnealy, or pedal up to south alamagre for your 12k fix and tack on some capt. jacks/sesame canyon/palmer trail to section 16 on the way back down into red rocks. lots of higher up stuff in monument/mt. herman area to explore too

wait, i should shut up, our trails suck and are loose and there's no variety... denver area trails are way better

edit: bottom line is most of the epic stuff is hard to navigate in COS, so you're better off hooking up with a local and having them show you the goods for a few days

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    but I guess Denver makes me spoiled.!
    LOL! You'll have to give us more warning next time and we can arrange a tour...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    LOL! You'll have to give us more warning next time and we can arrange a tour...
    Did not mean to offened the COS'ers... I guess I should rephrase and say, I was surprised to find there is a lack of easily defined trail systems in the COS area (considering there is a massive 14k peak hovering over the city). I guess you have to know the area.

Falcon was alright, but I was bored after the first downhill/slightly tech section. I went back to Palmer after and had a blast. Forgot how much fun I had there the first time! My trips down in COS will become more frequent this summer, so I will have to meet up with some of you, and hit some of the higher fun stuff.