mtbr member

Good job! Colorado Mountain Bike Association

Greetings!

The Board of Directors is pleased to "officially" announce that TCS Mountain Bike Coalition will now be known as the Colorado Mountain Bike Association.

Those of you who volunteered at our Waterton Canyon / Colorado Trail work day on Saturday (thank you) were privy to the pre-announcement; today we are excited to share this news with our membership, the industry, and the public. Please visit our totally revamped website, www.COMBA.org, to learn more about the name change and see what else we're up to. If you're not currently a member we encourage you to join us and fight the good fight! Together we can make a difference.

Thank you again for your support. We're eager to work hard for you and look forward to numerous accomplishments as COMBA, building on the terrific foundation laid by TCSMBC and TCS before it.

Feel free to contact us with any comments or questions.

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Trail Sanitizer
    Thanks for posting this, Terry. I'm sad to see the TCS name go but I'm looking forward to what is yet to come.

People in the front range should get used to the COMBA name, we've got big things planned!

user-created
    Gee, couldn't you guys come up with something that doesn't totally rip off COPMOBA?

I'm kidding, of course.

Time is not a road.
    Long overdue...check out MMBA to see what a statewide bike organization can be:

www.mmba.org

Is there any desire to expand the organization like this?

mtbr member
    What about www.dorba.org? They have a really great club down in the Dallas area.

rubber side down

I'll admit it...

...I don't like the name. If it were up to me, I'd have changed the name to Jefferson County Mountain Bike Coalition. After all, COMBA spends the vast majority of it's emphasis on Jeffco related issues only. Why call it something it's not?

R

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    ...I don't like the name. If it were up to me, I'd have changed the name to Jefferson County Mountain Bike Coalition. After all, COMBA spends the vast majority of it's emphasis on Jeffco related issues only. Why call it something it's not?

R
    Thanks for the feedback, Russ. The two trails that we 'sponsor' and do the most maintenance on are not in Jeffco. Our advocacy is focused on Jeffco, however. We also work with the city of Lakewood (not in Jeffco) and even some work up in Winter Park. Why limit yourself when you don't have to?
    Last edited by Bulldozer; 05-12-2006 at 12:44 PM.

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Long overdue...check out MMBA to see what a statewide bike organization can be:

www.mmba.org

Is there any desire to expand the organization like this?
    I can't speak for all COMBA members but I don't think something like MMBA is out of the question. The problem is the general apathy of front range mountain bikers. (The members of this CO board are some of the least apathetic )

Getting people to volunteer enough to expand the organization to those limits will take some time. Right now, there are less than 10 people doing over 90% of the work just to get us to where we are today. It's a time committment that too few people are willing to make. Of course, we get support in other ways in terms of paying members and volunteers on trail days. All in good time, my friend. All in good time.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer
    Thanks for the feedback, Russ. The two trails that we 'sponsor' and do the most maintenance on are not in Jeffco. Our advocacy is focused on Jeffco. We also work with the city of Lakewood (not in Jeffco) and even some work up in Winter Park. Why limit yourself when you don't have to?
    Hmm...Lakewood is in Jeffco (at least the part of Lakewood my home was in). I just don't think the coalition has the bandwidth to take on any non-token projects (something more involved than sponsoring trails) in other counties. I could be wrong. I'm sure the name will grow on me...it's far better than TCSMBC by a long shot though.

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    Hmm...Lakewood is in Jeffco (at least the part of Lakewood my home was in). I just don't think the coalition has the bandwidth to take on any non-token projects (something more involved than sponsoring trails) in other counties. I could be wrong. I'm sure the name will grow on me...it's far better than TCSMBC by a long shot though.
    By sponsor, I mean that we are the only group that goes out there and does any trail maintenance. The two trails in question are the first leg of the Colorado Trail (this goes waaaaay back to the beginning of TCS with the Colorado Trail Foundation) and the Indian Creek trail (built in conjunction with PERC and FRBCH). Maybe I'm just missing what you're saying....

mtbr member

Best of Luck to you!

It is really good to see this resurrected and I truly hope you all have the depth and momentum to make it work.

Just try not to turn into this ->

I can't ride 45!
    Gotdirt and bulldozer,

I signed up for COMBA today. How else can I assist?

jasonb

mtbr member
    Whatever we are called, we do have several jobs to do. One of COMBA's tasks is to consistantly represnt mountain biker interests at Jeffco Open Space Meetings. It has come to attention recently that there have been some eronious trail postings for a brand new Jeffco Open Space park that has raised the ire of Open Space Staff..... and for good reason. Someone who probably thought they were doing us all a favor downloaded a map of this park and did a little "creative editing" on the original and posted it on another website (not going to name names). What we, as COMBA can do to help is try to get the correct information out there to the MTB community. We should also use some discretion when posting certain things (such as doctored maps, in this case) on the internet.
    And, yes, Lakewood is in Jefferson County....
    Last edited by hardtail05; 05-12-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    Gotdirt and bulldozer,

I signed up for COMBA today. How else can I assist?

jasonb
    What are you interested in? Policy (advocacy)? Stewardship (trail building)? Education/outreach?

I'll email the committee heads to see where help is needed the most.

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail05
    And, yes, Lakewood is in Jefferson County....
    Fine! I've learned my geography lesson for the day.

(The reason that I didn't think it was in Jeffco is because when we do trail maintenance on Green Mtn, we work with the city of Lakewood and not Jeffco OS. That's what I get for ass-uming things.)

I can't ride 45!
    Policy (advocacy), education/outreach, and technology.

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    Policy (advocacy), education/outreach, and technology.
    Send me a PM or email with your email address and I'll make sure someone gets in contact with you. Thanks for the interest!

pzncrrts at cyclones dot com

mtbr member
    glad to see some discussion here while i was out of town (kokopelli trail).

our (COMBA) primary focus is in fact along the front range, and yes, probably more specifically at this point in time in jefferson and douglas counties... you have to start somewhere, right? this encompasses some of the best biking in the area for sure, attracting a lot of riders. plus our friends at BMA are doing a great job further north in boulder. that said, eventually there is no reason why there couldn't be COMBA chapters elsewhere in the state; so this long-term vision for the growth of the organization contributed to the name change. strength in numbers, right?

just to clear things up, while the city of lakewood is in fact geographically located in jefferson county, the green mountain trails are part of the city of lakewood's open space department --not jefferson county. likewise there are trails in boulder that fall w/in the city of boulder open space jurisdiction and some that are w/in boulder county open space jurisdiction.

jasonb, thanks for signing up and joining the ranks! we'll be in touch very soon...
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.