mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Colorado in May -

Hi,

I am in Colorado in May and would really like to do the Monarch Crest trail but this seems to be too early on the season.

What are the possible must-do epic rides this time of year? I am coming from Moab and am also considering visiting Fruita or GJ. The shuttle based rides as the Whole Enchilada and Monarch crest are the stuff I am looking for :-)

Crested butte seems to have some quite nice options such as Doctor Park, Reno / Flag / Bear / Deadman but do you know if these also are hit by snow?

What would you recommend?

Anders

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post
    Hi,

I am in Colorado in May and would really like to do the Monarch Crest trail but this seems to be too early on the season.

What are the possible must-do epic rides this time of year? I am coming from Moab and am also considering visiting Fruita or GJ. The shuttle based rides as the Whole Enchilada and Monarch crest are the stuff I am looking for :-)

Crested butte seems to have some quite nice options such as Doctor Park, Reno / Flag / Bear / Deadman but do you know if these also are hit by snow?

What would you recommend?

Anders
    God help us all if the Monarch Crest is rideable in May. The way this snow season has gone so far suggests it could be a possibility (touch of sarcasm there, even after this past drought winter it was mid-June).

But no, the traditional declaration of the Crest being "rideable" is July 4th.

There is some good riding around here that opens up in May, but no shuttle rides.

BTW, you aren't one of those people who's under the impression that the Crest has no climbing just because people shuttle it, are you?

I think Doctor Park and Reno/Flag/Bear are a little lower, they may open in May. But that's not really my 'hood.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Didn't another Danish rider (Dutch?) ask these questions here a while back? This rider could get hold of that rider and find out what they found out. Something like that. You know, sea level rider to sea level rider info.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    @TomP: I know there are something like 3500 feet of climbing included if I recall correct. rides likes these are a unique opportunity for a some one used to flatland. I did the the whole enchilada two year ago and this was really an eye opener to me
    @xcguy: thanks - I will look into this

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The safe bet: rides over 10,000 feet in elevation will not be ready yet.

Then again, it depends. So if I were you I'd *plan* on having some "low elevation" stuff planned with some "high elevation" plans in case things are so dry that the high country is open by May.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post
    TomP: I know there are something like 3500 feet of climbing included if I recall correct. rides likes these are a unique opportunity for a some one used to flatland. I did the the whole enchilada two year ago and this was really an eye opener to me
    I gotcha. Yeah, the Crest is nice. It's a pretty good deal to have that adventure with the little 4,500 ft boost at the beginning.

As Mister Shtles says, stuff over 10,000 is iffy for that time of year. But there is a ton of good riding in CO outside of Fruita that's good to go in May. A bunch of good rides here near Salida, and I've found Durango to be pretty dang good for later in the Spring. That's a pretty easy throw from Moab...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    The safe bet: rides over 10,000 feet in elevation will not be ready yet.

Then again, it depends. So if I were you I'd *plan* on having some "low elevation" stuff planned with some "high elevation" plans in case things are so dry that the high country is open by May.
    Hey "TomP", lookit all the "quotation marks" in the above "quote". Drive you "crazy"?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Hey "TomP", lookit all the "quotation marks" in the above "quote". Drive you "crazy"?
    Nah. Only when you do it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Nah. Only when you do it.
    I'm with you.

"Mountain bikers" that don't mountain bike complaining about punctuation in a mountain bike thread is really annoying.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the advice everyone