mtbr member

Colorado Freeride trip-what to expect? suggestions?

Hey all. I live in AZ and my brother in UT. We are planning a road trip for lift assisted freeriding. (we ride bottlerockets, like AM, fast DH, and dirtjumping). Having been to Winterpark about 5 years ago, we are seriously thinking about heading toward Keystone and Winterpark and spending a few days around there. What are things like at these freeride parks these days? What can we expect? Will it be worth it? Do you have any other recommendations? Any and all suggestions or thoughts welcome...

feel the Force
    Expect plenty of XC riding! Seriously, Both WP and Keystone have stepped it up in the last couple of years. SolVista, near WP, and Silverton, way down near Telluride/Durango, also have what you're looking for. I know Keystone is planning on plenty of construction this year. I'm talking a new Gondola and such, so I'm not sure how that will impact their bike operations. Also, there's been a ton of snow, and the mountains are still getting hammered, so I wouldn't come until July. There may still be limited riding in June. Have a good trip!

Shoulda went faster
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppguts
    fast DH, and dirtjumping
    Need to check out Sol Vista(down the road from Winter Park). Cool place, cool people, cool trails. Fast dh runs with some big booters!

http://bikesolvista.com/2008/

Thread Terrorist
    What are you expecting?

Keystone is the largest place in the area, but has more DH trails with some FR thrown in. Its gotten better, especially last year.

Sol Vista is up and coming, and Winter Park is just now figuring it out. between all three of those parks, you should have enough stuff to play on. Look up silverton too. When were you planning on coming out? We've had a ton of snow and its pushing back the opening date.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thoughts so far. We are planning on early July. We like fast trails rather than technical, well-built stunts in a good range of sizes, and dirt jumps.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppguts
    Thanks for the thoughts so far. We are planning on early July. We like fast trails rather than technical, well-built stunts in a good range of sizes, and dirt jumps.
    Keystone is definitely the place for stunts, with plenty of jumps, drops and high speed DH thrown in.

Sol Vista is more racer style - lots of wide open type stuff with some pretty big doubles and such thrown in - rumor has it that they're going to be stepping it up further this year. You definitely need to check it out while you're here.
    Now with more vitriol!