Thread: colorado dilema

mtbr member

colorado dilema

Here is my dilema,
    i have a trip to colorado that i am laying over for some DH riding. It is really hard to tell where i want to ride in colorado when i only have two days. My riding partner for the weekend is a seasoned mt. biker but no DHing experience, we are renting b/c i am in PA and flying out, and i am riding labor day weekend.
    1. there is a race laborday weekend at keystone so does that cancel out the riding there? I dont want to only be able to ride a few trails b/c a race is happening.
    2. which is better for a dh beginner like my friend WP or Keystone?
    3. I read a post that said a dh bike wasnt even necessary for WP...how lame is the place?
    4. given the above where would you ride? I have ridden snow shoe in wv and wisp in MD. So i am somewhat capable of hitting groomed DH trails, DH singletrack, and small to medium freerdie features? I have no problem throwing my friend to the DH GODS b/c hey you need to learn somehow! I dont want to waste a trip like this to lame riding.
    Thanks
    Chance favors the prepared mind

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon4
    3. I read a post that said a dh bike wasnt even necessary for WP...how lame is the place?
    Oh, it's lame alright. I'd just stick to the Keystone state.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Oh, it's lame alright. I'd just stick to the Keystone state.
    ugh...never mind.

cheeseburger in paradise
    Sorry, all of Colorado riding is lame.

mtbr member
    Everything is relative - says Einstein. And while he was not known as a DH biker I think he is still right.

If you and your friend want to taste DH biking I would recommend Winterpark and Sol Vista (down the road in Granby). Yep - if you would be experienced DHers you would think WP is lame. But for a beginner it is actually great.

WP offers a dedicated downhill trail that allows you to get a feeling for speed, cornering and jumps. They have some drops and kickers simply great for a beginner. And they have a new slopestyle and free ride park that offers fun for all riding levels.

So my advice would be hit WP on day one and have fun. At the end of the day you'll bomb down the DH and do some of the stunts. You'll feel like you achieved something and you'll probably like DH biking.

Next day hit Sol Vista (faster and way bigger jumps) or do WP again if you think it still fun. I don't think you'll conquer all stunts on day on...

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    1. there is a race laborday weekend at keystone so does that cancel out the riding there? I dont want to only be able to ride a few trails b/c a race is happening.
    No one really answered #1. Stay away from Keystone on Labor Day weekend. Between organized practice and all of the races, you will not be able to ride if you're not racing. Or at least that's the way things have been in the past.

mtbr member

Winter Park information

You can rent and ride at Winter Park
    http://www.skiwinterpark.com/biking/...ntal/index.htm

They rent Kona Bikes.

Basically it's gonna be busy and a little crowded for most of the Colorado people. I have learned what we consider a crowd (2) guys on a 20 mile single track trail isn't crowded to others.

Have fun stop in Idaho Springs for a beer and a Buffalo Burger at Tommy Knockers.

mtbr member
    Keystone is the best riding, and has a huge variety. However, the race will put a huge kink in your plans. So . . . you should consider going to SolVista. The lift is free and the trails are amazing. I raced the "DH" at Winter Park during Crankworx - it is not worth the trip - don't waste your time or $ there.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info guys(and for hitting all the points on the list). WP is it for the first day, maybe both. I wont be entering any World Cup events in the near future so i am sure i will enjoy some riding at WP. The same company owns snowshoe so i will guess that they are comprable. I cant tell if Sol Vista has any rental bikes b/c their website is junk. I dont think i could have a bad day of riding in the rockies on lift access trails, regardless of the trail conditions. I just got nervous when i read that a DH bike wasnt even necessary. You cant ever trust everything you read on these boards b/c i rode snowshoe on my prophet and had a blast. For someone like myself that doesnt live in that environment, just being there is half the fun.

mtbr member
    Let us know how the day(s) went afterwards. Your question comes up on a regular base and the variety of answers is pretty standard. Would be great to have our advice verified - or tuned for the next guy.

But most important: Enjoy

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I cant tell if Sol Vista has any rental bikes b/c their website is junk.
    Sol Vista doesn't even really have a base area--just a real estate office . I would rent in Winter Park since it's pretty close. I don't think you're going to find anything (even tubes) at Sol Vista.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Yep, no facilities at Sol Vista, yet. Check out Totally Wired Cyclery for rentals if you're gonna go there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Let us know how the day(s) went afterwards. Your question comes up on a regular base and the variety of answers is pretty standard. Would be great to have our advice verified - or tuned for the next guy.

But most important: Enjoy
    So, I visited both Sol Vista and Winter Park. The verdict... (thanks for all the input and advice on which park to ride. In the end Winter Park was better than Sol Vista IMO)
    I liked winter park more than Sol Vista....the reasons.
    1. The lift is slow and the hill is short at Sol Vista(i know it is free and it is awesome and an unbelievable place to ride for free for you guys in Colorado.) You can make it up the Winter Park hill that is twice as high in about the same time or less. This = more riding.
    2. Unless you have to hit gap jumps to enjoy a day on a mountain (Sol Vista has a ton of huge gappers, but carnage doesnt help you get back on a plane and fly home + I cant do them), WinterPark has more to offer, Wooden freeride features (not big but fun), bigger mountain, faster lift, More jumps, better berms, less people (when compared to the size of the mountain and available trails to ride), faster lines, rentals, great bike shop (very important if you are renting and have limited tools, lodging that has a microbrew onsite for 100$ a room).

To be quite honest WinterPark was twice as fun and I got in much more riding. The lift lines got long at Sol Vista so we packed it up after 3 runs and went back to Winter Park. I know that i didnt get to see everything that Sol Vista has to offer B/C i only rode 1 black course but...i could see 90% of it from the lift and it just wasnt as impressive as Winter Park. I would vote for a WinterPark ride over a Sol Vista ride anyday of the week as long as 25$ isnt too expensive for you to pay for a lift ticket. Just my opinnion. I had an awesome time at Winter Park riding. Here are some pics.

Representing Ride Monkey at the Microbrew in the hotel....Scottish Ale...hmmmm...Beeeer!
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...emonkeybar.jpg
    Hitting a berm
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...er/danberm.jpg
    Pimping it out
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q.../danvalley.jpg
    Blurry (artsy) microbrew
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...blurrybrew.jpg
    Top of the lift About 11,000 feet
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...hedownhill.jpg
    The bottom about 9, 000 feet
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...rider/lift.jpg
    Table top
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...antabletop.jpg
    The good life
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...lleyresort.jpg
    Warren hitting the Small teeter on top of the hill
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...eterwarren.jpg

mtbr member
    Cool sounds like WP was fun! I had the same feeling on Sol Vista for out of town people. Next time you need to hit Keystone. After seeing your post I may even take a day off from Keystone just to hit WP thanks

mtbr member
    I took my small bike to WP Thursday and had fun.

I like Sol Vista, but probably not the best option for out of towner's (it's their first year). The racers like Sol Vista.

My favorite is still Keystone. More tech, and lots of trail options.

WP and Sol Vista closed today. Keystone is still open weekends.

mtbr member
    I was told Keystone is open all this week then only weekends till the 16th?????

mtbr member

wp

yeah WP only has one real DH trail to the bottom. i guess that is one more plus for sol vista they have 2.