mtbr member

Colo Spgs, question for road riders...

This is not meant to start an argument, genuinely curious... there are a lot of road cyclists who like to ride on 30th Street bordering Garden of the Gods. I've always wondered why you wouldn't prefer to be on the nice bike path that runs right by GofG--part of which is paved, the rest of which is very hard-packed--versus the winding road with drivers who often drive too fast.

I stick to bike path whenever I can (I was hit by a car last November on a city street, maybe that's why LOL).

Again, not meaning to be a jerk, just curious what the draw is? Is it sort of a "rush" or whatever, with the blind curves, dealing with drivers, etc?

-Eric

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I do equal time on road and MTB and have ridden 30th a bunch (I've also used the bike path). I can't speak for others, but I know that often there are enough walkers and casual riders spread over that path that it is faster and easier (especially if traveling south) to just use the road. I'm certainly not looking for any "rush" dealing w/ cars, I'm just too lazy to slow down repeatedly. I probably "train" too much, though, and am too worried about maintaining a certain work load (I'm a full-on leg-shaving roadie dork).

Stiff yet compliant
    Those paths are typically covered with kids, old people, strollers, dogs on leashes and walkers 2-3-4 abreast. Weaving in and out of them on a road bike a 20+ mph is a recipe for disaster.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E
    I've always wondered why you wouldn't prefer to be on the nice bike path
    -Eric
    Up or down?
    Because I can stay close to the speed limit going down. Going up I ride the path, or ride another route with wider lanes, like Fillmore to Centennial.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Bike paths are seriously dangerous on a proper road bike... my two worst skinny-tire crashes have been while riding on bike paths.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, helps me understand. I'm a fat tire kinda guy, so the bike paths work well for me. I can see the points you all are making though.

mtbr member
    It's less than a mile to GoG.

The traffic there isn't all that bike aware (I don't saw friendly or hostile because I think they're just clueless along there!)

You can take your chances with the cars - and I don't think I've heard of any mishaps along that stretch - or slow down for a few minutes and take the path.

Personally, I take the path. And I rarely see more than a few folks on it, no matter when I travel that road. And I live very close to there and drive 30th a lot.

No 2-3-4 abreast people, few dogs, rarely strollers and just few people in general.

What bugs me are when the "serious" roadies decide it's too dangerous and ride 2 and 3 abreast to protect themselves by taking the lane, even though they're going well below the 35mph speed limit. If they're that worried, they ought to be on the path!!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany