Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010

Colo Spgs/Fort Collins in June-Here now

I had to cancel my Fall trip to the Front Range and have rescheduled for early in June. 4 days in Colo Spgs then 5 days in Fort C. I am bringing a mtb and a road bike.

Any suggestions and does anyone want to ride?
    Last edited by bushido5; 06-02-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Update

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    These threads should help you a bit.
    Let us know if you have more specific questions after reading them.

Fort Collins terrain?

Hotels in Fort Collins

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Falcon Trail, USAFA. I prefer clockwise, starting from the Outdoor Recreation Center parking lot (pick up the trail behind the gas station across the street). 14mi, 1400+ feet, a little bit of everything.

And the USAFA road loop. ~2000 feet depending on exact route choice, and what little traffic will be there in June will be extremely well-behaved.

Enter USAFA through the South gate -- take Academy until you see dudes in uniform with guns. Check in at the visitor center just outside the gate (white building on the right) unless you're (ex) military and have a valid ID.

Alternatively, Cheyenne Mountain State Park...many miles of interconnecting short loops, ride as long as you have legs.

Enjoy!

insert sarcasm here
    If you like rocky tech, Bobcat Ridge is an absolute must do.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    I am mainly an XC rider but i like some technical. I like to go up as much as down. As an example i had a great time at Heil Ranch in Boulder.

rr
    I don't do PC
    In the Springs def checkout the AFA loop, Cheyenne canon(tons of route options), Palmer park, CMSP, and see if some locals like the Inflexables will show you Mt herman area.

mtbr member
    Let me know when you get out to Fort Collins I might be up for a ride. Lots of fun loops in the mountain park and over in Lorry. Curt Gowdy up in Wyoming is a must ride for anyone coming out here. I road ride too so plenty of options there too. They might be finished with Rist canyon by then too.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    I am in Colo Spgs. Riding mtb in AM. Some version of Cpt Jacks. Can i ride from Garden of Gods? What other trails connect with Jacks? Would like 2+ hours

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Curt Gowdy is awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    definitely, DEFINITELY take a trip to buffalo creek and make sure to ride the section of the colorado trail and the green mountain loop. the aspens are gorgeous up there on the CO trail.

i'd also do kenosha pass.

3sisters isn't worth it.

centennial cone is awesome.

chimney gulch - apex.

most of these are near golden. there's definitely some awesome riding down between golden and CO springs.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    I had a good mtb ride in Colo Spgs. I rode from Manitou and did Chutes, Buckhorn, Cpt Jacks, and back down Chutes. It was fun but way too groomed. The only challenge was the loose gravel down Jacks.

Heading to Fort C tomorrow. Will be there for 4-5 days. I would like to do a long and a short mtb ride as well as a long and a short road ride. Maybe a group road ride. If you would like to join me, let me know.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bushido5 View Post
    I had a good mtb ride in Colo Spgs. I rode from Manitou and did Chutes, Buckhorn, Cpt Jacks, and back down Chutes. It was fun but way too groomed. The only challenge was the loose gravel down Jacks.

Heading to Fort C tomorrow. Will be there for 4-5 days. I would like to do a long and a short mtb ride as well as a long and a short road ride. Maybe a group road ride. If you would like to join me, let me know.
    There are a few Fort Collins group rides listed here:

Rides and Routes

I'm not too plugged into the group riding scene, so there may be others.

Grams Light Bikes
    Should have done St Marys or Pipeline/7 Bridges, both are more technical, the latter has some stuff that is extremely sick.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    I am going to do a road ride tomorrow. Either Rist or Carter Lake? Mtb on Monday, probably Lori & Horsetooth.

mtbr member
    I might be up for a road ride if the winds aren't too bad. If there blowing like today I will get back on the mountain bike. How many miles do you want to do? climbing Rist and doing the full loop back down Buckhorn is a really good ride. Carter is really fun too witch way do you want to do the climb? Up the switch backs or up the big climb?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    If you like rocky tech, Bobcat Ridge is an absolute must do.
    Bingo.

I would drive up from Denver to ride Bobcat.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I might be up for a road ride if the winds aren't too bad. If there blowing like today I will get back on the mountain bike. How many miles do you want to do? climbing Rist and doing the full loop back down Buckhorn is a really good ride. Carter is really fun too witch way do you want to do the climb? Up the switch backs or up the big climb?
    Yeah whats with the wind? I was going to ride today but passed. I don' know either of the routes. I was going to go to Masonville, Eden, Carter, maybe down the other side and back. Or Rist and Buckhorn. If windy mtb.

Not sure how early i can start. I am at the Drive-in.

mtbr member
    Yea the wind here can really suck sometimes. You have to hit the mountain park when its windy. If you go the way you want you will hit the harder climb first. If you go past carter and loop back around south to north you can climb the switch backs there a bit easier. Post up in the morning I wont be starting till 11 or so. I work stupid hours and I enjoy sleeping when I'm off. If you want to do Rist I would go out to Laport and climb Rist and then loop back down Buckhorn. Its about 45 miles or so depending on where you'r starting from. But its one hell of a climb.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Yea the wind here can really suck sometimes. You have to hit the mountain park when its windy. If you go the way you want you will hit the harder climb first. If you go past carter and loop back around south to north you can climb the switch backs there a bit easier. Post up in the morning I wont be starting till 11 or so. I work stupid hours and I enjoy sleeping when I'm off. If you want to do Rist I would go out to Laport and climb Rist and then loop back down Buckhorn. Its about 45 miles or so depending on where you'r starting from. But its one hell of a climb.
    I am at KOA near Laport. I will post in AM.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Up and moving after late night. Heading to Rist, stove Prarie, Buckhorn.

mtbr member
    What time do you want to role? I can meet you at Vern's

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Getting dressed now rolling from KOA in 10. Taking Poudre Path and Bingham. I dont know Verns.

mtbr member
    Verns is the gas station store and restaurant in Laporte at 287 and county rd 52. I am off overland trail in town so I will take me 15 or min to get down to the laporte area.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    See u there. I am taking Bingham to bellvue, i think, to Rist. I am rolling in 2 min. Can you meet me along that path? So i dont get lost

mtbr member
    Yea I can meet you at the path and overland trail rd intersection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast