mtbr member
    Feb 2008

College Outdoor Rec Trip to the front range: Looking for some info.

Hey guys! The Outdoor Rec Center at my university (Iowa State University), is taking a trip to the front range at the beginning of August that I plan on going on. The places mentioned so far are Red Rocks, Breckenridge, and Buffalo Creek areas. I think we plan on doing mostly cross country riding (if that's possible in Colorado). I've been out to Colorado a couple of times just for hiking, not any biking. So me being from Iowa, I have no idea what to expect or what the trails will be like at these places. Mainly, I'm wondering if I will be able to get away with my front suspension mountain bike? I'm getting really excited for this trip. I love the west, I feel like I belong there, but am stuck in Iowa until I graduate college.

I appreciate all the help guys and gals!

Thanks,
    Zach
    Bikes represent the mentality that the world is a place meant to be explored and enjoyed

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nobody has any opinions?
    Bikes represent the mentality that the world is a place meant to be explored and enjoyed

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You'll be fine on your hardtail. Enjoy your trip!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good to know! Thanks! (Hardtail-that was the word I was looking for. I couldn't think of it for the life of me.)

Thread Terrorist
    You may have to do some blood doping to keep up with the altitude, however....

Centennial cone
    Bergen Peak/ Elk Meadow
    Alderfer/3sisters/evergreen mtn

Those would be a nice start, and a bit cooler from the Denver altitudes.

Have fun.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You may have to do some blood doping to keep up with the altitude, however....
    Yeah, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the altitude change. I know get my ass in shape here would be a good start. I've been doing some serious biking here lately, but I know I'm still gonna get worked.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzi13
    Yeah, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the altitude change. I know get my ass in shape here would be a good start.
    Conditioning certainly helps, but the best thing is to take it easy the first couple of days and BE SURE to stay well hydrated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonzi13...

sent you a PM. Check it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just wanted to say thanks for all of the information. Really looking forward to the trip!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the altitude change. I know get my ass in shape here would be a good start. I've been doing some serious biking here lately, but I know I'm still gonna get worked.
    Drink as much water as you can, then have another bottle. Don't forget sunscreen, and even chap-stick. You'll love Buffalo Creek...fast, flowy, climbs aren't too awful if you keep your respiration comfy...if you start breathing too hard, you'll be done...so just ride a little slower on the climbs than you think you can.

lucky enough

maps

Maps are a good idea. Go to a bike store around here and look for Latitude 40 maps of the areas you're thinking of. Buffalo Creek and Breckenridge are both great areas with lots of trails. The former is lower in elevation so that might be a good place to start. Have fun.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    You can do 3 Sisters/Evergreen Mountain (as mentioned above), then stop and do Lair O' the Bear on your way back to Denver. They are both "easier" rides, and are pretty well shaded. Evergreen Mountain is a loop (around 3 miles, I think) with a short lariat at the top, so you could do a lap or two, then turn around and do it the other way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I hope you are going to take advantage of the Colorado social environment while you are here. All play and no work make Johnny too worn out to party. We have a few things they might not have in Ames:

- Shotgun Willies
    - MMJ dispensaries
    - Breweries
    - Authentic Mexican restaurants
    - LoDo bars around closing time when the action gets hot, as in firearms and fistfights
    - "Oriental Massage" places (wink, wink)
    - Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, just for laughs
    - Did I mention breweries?
    - More great bike shops than Ames has Hardees

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Wierd, small world huh!

Bonzi13... Hey, Im the leader for this trip at ISU...
    What specific questions do you have?
    -I work next Friday 12-6 if you want to come in and talk bikes.

Here is a picture of the group from my outdoor rec spring break Moab trip!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey I just signed up for the trip today! Didn't realize anybody posted anymore after I said thanks...

Another question, what are the trails like out there? Like the dirt? Pretty soft, hard packed, rocky???

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Another question, what are the trails like out there? Like the dirt? Pretty soft, hard packed, rocky???
    Yes.

HTH.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes.
    Right...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Right...
    I'm actually not kidding on this one.