mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Coalton-a quick out and back

I was coming back on McCaslin from a meeting in Louisville when what do I see?? The trailhead for Coalton! Isn't that one of ibmkidlll's secret stashes? Gotta check this out.

Well, it is what it is. A great connector to the High Plains Trail and beyond, great for after work. I couldn't imagine anything flatter or smoother. I'm even going to recommend this one to my grandmother who's in a wheelchair!
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I got to my turnaround point

which was the start of the High Plains trail. Again I come across somebody's lost stuff. Is this your toolkit?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

30 something dad
    I live a mile or so from the McCaslin Coalton Trailhead. So I ride that, High Plains/Dowdy/MMesa quite a bit. Coalton isn't anything to write home about, but when you head west on it...that first hill always makes me work. I always seem to forget about it until I'm about half way up. It's short and not hard...but for some reason I always forget about it until I'm there!

Fun hour of riding: Coalton up to High Plains, to Doudy, Community Ditch, Greenbelt back to High Plains and Coalton. Or instead of looping, just do out and back on Dowdy. More fun the Dirty Bismarck Morgul.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks for that tip

Quote Originally Posted by truepatriot09
    I live a mile or so from the McCaslin Coalton Trailhead. So I ride that, High Plains/Dowdy/MMesa quite a bit. Coalton isn't anything to write home about, but when you head west on it...that first hill always makes me work. I always seem to forget about it until I'm about half way up. It's short and not hard...but for some reason I always forget about it until I'm there!

Fun hour of riding: Coalton up to High Plains, to Doudy, Community Ditch, Greenbelt back to High Plains and Coalton. Or instead of looping, just do out and back on Dowdy. More fun the Dirty Bismarck Morgul.
    Yeah, there is that short uphill stretch on Coalton but really where is there a dirt trail that doesn't have some elevation gain? I've been riding for many years and only this year have I been on Doudy, Community Ditch et al. I wish I had this trail system out my backdoor instead of the paved bike paths I ride in desperation for a break from my desk at my house in Westminster. For me to do a real mountain bike ride I have to drive 40 minutes at least to any trailhead. 55 minutes to Centennial Cone! 50 minutes to Hall! (6 hours to Moab )

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by truepatriot09
    that first hill always makes me work. I always seem to forget about it until I'm about half way up. It's short and not hard...
    That one gets me too. I always start at the Target parking lot, and after I've climbed the hill on McCaslin and then hit that hill my heart is beating pretty good. Its not real sustained, but it gets steeper as you go west.

skillz to pay billz
    only as flat as the headwind is strong

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    only as flat as the headwind is strong

fukkn wind!
    i live in Rock Creek and ride that sesh pretty much 3x's week. If you start @ Coalton and ride to the end of HP, cross the street, take Dowdy up/down/around to Marshall, then HP back to Coalton=23miles. But with the wind=46!

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Isn't that one of ibmkidlll's secret stashes?

Who?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    30 mph wind is a good day up there

mtbr member
    Another Rock Creek'er who rides this system pretty often. I love having it close by. It's not my favorite trail in the world but I always enjoy high plains and love the proximity.

Nothing like being able to ride the mountain bike on dirt from home.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat
    Nothing like being able to ride the mountain bike on dirt from home.
    Amen Brotha

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

see you all up there

I ride it all the time from S Boulder as a 22 + mile loop. I like it tho yes not too technical and there is a wind. I ride it at nite too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No one is going to confuse Coalton-High Plains-etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    I ride it all the time from S Boulder as a 22 + mile loop. I like it tho yes not too technical and there is a wind. I ride it at nite too!
    with a destination ride. But it's dirt, it's fast, it's close, it's as long a loop as you want to make it. Really, even though I have a bike path close to my house, it's just not the same. There's something really beautiful about those grasslands, having the foothills so close is pretty cool. And I know I lucky when I say that on the few times I've been riding this trail system there's been NO wind. If only life was always like that.