Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Coal Creek Canyon and Magnolia trails?

I recently moved up to coal creek canyon. I know about walker ranch, but I was wondering what other trail options there were up here. I have also been riding a lot on magnolia, but I have no Idea where the trail goes. I go up through pinecliff, then right on county rd. 97 up to magnolia. If you take a left, there is a trailhead in about a mile that is good, but don't know where it leads. If you take a right on magnolia, there is a dirt road in about a mile which acesses some good trails too. Once again, i don't know where they go. It seems like the two would connect, but I haven't ridden far enough either way to find out. There is some great terrain in there and I would like to find a map of this trail. I think it's called Reynolds park maybe??? Does anyone else ride here, and know of a map. Or maybe I could hook up with someone to ride and learn the route. This isn't the west magnolia trail because it's on the other side of hwy 119, but I think they connect. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Nick Wigston

ps. I would also like to meet other riders in my neighborhood.

skillz to pay billz
    I recently moved up to coal creek canyon. I know about walker ranch, but I was wondering what other trail options there were up here. I have also been riding a lot on magnolia, but I have no Idea where the trail goes. I go up through pinecliff, then right on county rd. 97 up to magnolia. If you take a left, there is a trailhead in about a mile that is good, but don't know where it leads.

this is the half way point between west mag and the boy scout trail/dots

If you take a right on magnolia, there is a dirt road in about a mile which acesses some good trails too.

boy scout trail/dots

Once again, i don't know where they go. It seems like the two would connect, but I haven't ridden far enough either way to find out.

yes they do

There is some great terrain in there and I would like to find a map of this trail. I think it's called Reynolds park maybe??? Does anyone else ride here, and know of a map. Or maybe I could hook up with someone to ride and learn the route. This isn't the west magnolia trail because it's on the other side of hwy 119, but I think they connect. Any help would be appreciated.

about a block down magnolia from 119/72 there is a single track on the left side of the road that will lead you east to all this. Boot trail maybe?

get the boulder county bike trail map from a LBS and all these trails are on there. I live off Lazy Z road(one block east of 97 off magnolia). So much good stuff to ride up there

Rolling
    See the latitude 40 map of Boulder County. Most of those trails are on there.

http://latitude40maps.com/bldrco.html

example from the website

Ride, Rinse, Repeat

Also:

Online Maps for Dots & West Mag (From the BMA website, other maps there as well...)

http://boa-mtb.org/resources/Dots.JPG
    http://boa-mtb.org/resources/West%20Mag.JPG

skillz to pay billz
    Actually, I'm looking for something to get me to GGP from magnolia over Mt Thornton. Anything like this exist?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    cool. i know where Lazy Z road is. Give me a call. we should meet up to ride.

303-642-8823. or email me at nick@zinncycles.com

skillz to pay billz
    cool

The Dog.

Living in Coal Creek

Hey Wigston,

My dad lives in Blue Mountain right as you enter Coal Creek. I'm up there a lot of weekends and do a good amount of riding on the dot trails. I'd love to show you around. I'm still discovering new trails, but I know many of the possible loops. The other day I found one that took me through what was practically a rainforest (for CO) and dropped me on an old service trail right below Nederland dam. Pretty schweet.

I'll PM you my email so we can meet up and ride.

~Ben

skillz to pay billz
    hey doggy, can I get in on that too?

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    hey doggy, can I get in on that too?
    Pshya.

Check your PM's.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    The other day I found one that took me through what was practically a rainforest (for CO) and dropped me on an old service trail right below Nederland dam. Pretty schweet.
    Yeah, I did this one by mistake on an after-work ride. I just had to know where that spur went. Nice coastie DH.

Dam looks pretty cool from the bottom looking up, and all the tourists from the lookout seem to get a kick out of pointing down at the itty bitty biker at the bottom..

Not so much fun going back up in the dark

skillz to pay billz
    looks like dogdude and I will possibly be doing a sunday morning ride up around the dots and over towards west mag. If anyones interested let me know. I hoping for a start of 8-9am.

can meet at either end or the middle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I hoping for a start of 8-9am
    hmmm... make it 9 (or 9:30 ) and i might be in.

skillz to pay billz
    hey ter,

let me see what dogdOOd says, might work. I just need to be finished by noon-ish to do some stuff.

The Dog.
    Sunday morning works fine. Only problem is that my bike is out of commission right now. If the part I need comes in today, then I'm totally down to ride. I'll post up tonight with an update.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

There goes the neighborhood...

Holy crap. I've been living in Coal Creek since 1988. Now there are TWO other riders?

Getting crowded.

I live near Crescent Park, so I can ride over to Walker via Gross Dam, or ride over to Golden Gate and access the trails from Gap Road. Between those two parks alone, that is at least 40 miles of trails. If you live up by Lazy Z, you can ride the gnarly 4WD trails on the west side of Gross very easily. Then Boy Scout/Dot/West Mag, etc. Eldora for Jenny Creek. Lots of 4WD roads west of Rollinsville, too. Then there is Caribou.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    you can ride the gnarly 4WD trails on the west side of Gross very easily.
    shhhhh!!!

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    I live near Crescent Park, so I can ride over to Walker via Gross Dam, or ride over to Golden Gate and access the trails from Gap Road. Between those two parks alone, that is at least 40 miles of trails. If you live up by Lazy Z, you can ride the gnarly 4WD trails on the west side of Gross very easily.
    Ummm...can you show me some of this stuff?

Noob-

I'm all set to go, except for some squeeky brakes (normal). Shall we say 9 am at 606 and West Mag? Does that work for you gotdirt?

We're gonna have a crew.

~Ben

skillz to pay billz
    9 am then

..ouch
    Ummm...can you show me some of this stuff?

Noob-

I'm all set to go, except for some squeeky brakes (normal). Shall we say 9 am at 606 and West Mag? Does that work for you gotdirt?

We're gonna have a crew.
    I'm typically making breakfast with the kiddos about that time on a weekend but may try to meet you out there since I just got back from being rained out tonight (btw, West Mag + rain = horse crap soup). Gotta decide between that and getting some tree work done that I've been putting off all summer..

mtbr member
    Shall we say 9 am at 606 and West Mag? Does that work for you gotdirt?
    that should work fine... i'd say i'm 85% in (slight chance i may head to rollinsville & jenny creek as i haven't been up that way 'cept in the jeep).

...though i don't (think i) know where 606 is?? i've only ridden up there twice-- once starting from the high school, and once from the trailhead off of 119.
    clue me in.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    I'm typically making breakfast with the kiddos about that time on a weekend but may try to meet you out there since I just got back from being rained out tonight (btw, West Mag + rain = horse crap soup). Gotta decide between that and getting some tree work done that I've been putting off all summer..
    That would be great. If you want to ride in the afternoon, I'm free tomorrow. I'll PM you my email if you're interested. Regardless, we should meet up to ride sometime.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    that should work fine... i'd say i'm 85% in (slight chance i may head to rollinsville & jenny creek as i haven't been up that way 'cept in the jeep).

...though i don't (think i) know where 606 is?? i've only ridden up there twice-- once starting from the high school, and once from the trailhead off of 119.
    clue me in.
    606 appears to be the middle trailhead on the map above. There are only two places to park between where West Mag hits 119 and it intersects county road 97. The first (as coming from 119) is the natural gas station (just a bunch of pipes sticking out of the ground). The second is 606. It is labelled with one of those bendy vertical plastic forest service signs. I'll try to get there a little early. I'll be in a grey Volkswagen hatchback.

I'm happy to meet elsewhere if people want, 606 just seems to be the most central trailhead.

Why would you ride alone at Jenny Creek when we're gonna have a posse at the dots?

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by thump

I hear ya, I got chased back in the house from the ridge above by lightening, Ground strikes everywhere.

skillz to pay billz
    ter, heres the map with our meet place marked, look for the big red dot. roads are marked now as well. just go up cr 97, left on magnolia then about two miles to the trail head

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast