crashes in parkinglot

CO state parks with good riding?

Are there other CO state parks besides Steamboat, Golden Gate and Lory that have good riding, or are a good base camp for local rides?

My wife and I are thinking of checking out State Forest State park, it looks like there are a few 10-12 mile rides in the park, and a potential for some National Forest Service trails to the west
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Lake Pueblo is supposed to be good but I haven't done it.
    Roxborough doesn't allow bikes but it has access to the Colorado trail and the Indian Creek area.
    Meuller state park is bike friendly and has some good rides.

not actually bad :)
    Not CO but Curt Gowdy (WY) is awesome.
    Old Codger

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Yes, I do enjoy CG, been there twice, and plan to go up at the end of May.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Lake Pueblo is supposed to be good but I haven't done it.
    Roxborough doesn't allow bikes but it has access to the Colorado trail and the Indian Creek area.
    Meuller state park is bike friendly and has some good rides.
    Pueblo is good fun, i've been down for a day trip, lots of good variety.
    I will probably do day trips to the CT and Indian Creek. I didn't know there was much biking in Meuller, I'll have to check that out.
    Down is the new up.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!

I've been meaning to check that out... do they have a bug season there? Or is it pretty good to go all summer?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Yes, I do enjoy CG, been there twice, and plan to go up at the end of May.

Pueblo is good fun, i've been down for a day trip, lots of good variety.
    I will probably do day trips to the CT and Indian Creek. I didn't know there was much biking in Meuller, I'll have to check that out.
    Mueller used to be double track only for bikes, but that may have changed--I haven't been there in 10+ years.

You might consider Cheyenne Mountain State Park. The camping is nice and the riding is great (it's the first SP designed specifically for mountain biking). Just pretend that you're not less than 10 miles from downtown Colorado Springs.

We went camping in State Forest State Park and it was really beautiful. The main hiking trail we did was not bike allowed, but there is a fair bit of biking there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    I've been meaning to check that out... do they have a bug season there? Or is it pretty good to go all summer?
    If it ain't bug season its freezing cold icey wind season. Take your pick

mtbr member
    I haven't been to Meuller in a couple of years, but what I remember it isn't too technical or huge elevation changes, but you can put in plenty of miles with some nice scenery, and light on crowds.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    If it ain't bug season its freezing cold icey wind season. Take your pick
    I don't remember it being super buggy, but it was pretty windy. Once you get in the trees that will cut the wind down, but the bugs stay closer to the water / camping spots.

A few years ago, I remember seeing a warning that some of the closer trails were shut down because of too many mosquitos.
    Down is the new up.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

A second for Cheyenne Mountain

This can be a real fun ride. Nothing crazy tech, but lot's of fun mid-level tech, especially on Medicine Wheel, Cougar's Shadow and the upper side of Blackmer Loop. the descent on the south end of Blackmer from the intersection with Cougar to the intersection with Med Wheel isn't tech but is great, flowy fun. The scenery is nice and there's lots of wildlife. As a base camp, you can't flow directly to other trail systems from the park, but you're a short drive from a fantastic variety of trails; you could spend a couple weeks there and not hit everything within a 30 min drive.

State forest looks like it has potential--please post a report if you do it as I've not seen much written about it. It'd be a long drive for me and I'd like to know if it's worth it.

Lake Pueblo has some fun to put under your knobbies The variety isn't all that great--there's some tough techy drops through the ravines and miles of beginner prairie top xc trails but not much in between. Beware also: it is hot, pretty barren and not at all aesthetically pleasing--not a place I go to in the summer. There's also not much else to ride nearby without a longer drive.

I wouldn't recommend Mueller either, especially if you like singletrack. You can put on some good mileage there, but the place is all doubletrack/dirt roads. Nice scenery, especially during aspen season, but what's under your knobbies is of little interest. There are some other good rides nearby, but not as many as in other parts of CO.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

Back in the saddle
    Lory State Park in FoCo has a few nice trails. The best part is, if you get the daily pass, it works at the adjacent Horsetooth Mountain Park as a ride-in option. Horsetooth Mountain Park has some sweet rides. Great climbs, great downhills, varied terrain, as much elevation as you want. Trails all interconnect. You can ride all day. Site of a 40 mile endurance race this summer. Check it out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    the singletrack leading up to american lakes/thunder pass is quite nice in state forest. beautiful area up there, but won't be ready to go for awhile.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by pippinr
    Lory State Park in FoCo has a few nice trails. The best part is, if you get the daily pass, it works at the adjacent Horsetooth Mountain Park as a ride-in option. Horsetooth Mountain Park has some sweet rides. Great climbs, great downhills, varied terrain, as much elevation as you want. Trails all interconnect. You can ride all day. Site of a 40 mile endurance race this summer. Check it out!
    I <3 Lory SP and Horsetooth, only ridden there a few times, which is a shame, so much to explore.
    Down is the new up.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by stapes
    the singletrack leading up to american lakes/thunder pass is quite nice in state forest. beautiful area up there, but won't be ready to go for awhile.
    Thanks, the CO state park map said there is 200 miles or something like that of biking trails (note that this probably includes anything and everything that a biker is legaly allowed to ride, so roads, fire roads, double track and single track). I'm looking to get up this way once summer is in full swing or in the fall when the aspens are starting to turn.

How technical are the trails up this way? Looking to see if my wife would like it. She likes trails that are like Buff Creek, betaso etc (basically non technical) though she is better at descending tech than climbing tech.
    Last edited by EricTheRed; 05-09-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    State forest state park

Has some nice trails and a bit of variety.

There are a lot of 4 Wheel drive roads that just climb up up up and then you get to go down witch is pretty fun being able to bomb down a bit wider trail and see some nice views.

Many of the trails to the high alpine lakes are open to bikes. Keep in mind they were not designed with bikes in mind so there are some fairly technical areas. There is also some spectacular scenery to view.

Plan to do lots of sustained climbing and bring drink plenty of water. Base elevation up there is about 9100ft and easily reached 10500 ft on several trails.

slow
    Our family usually does a yurt trip to State Forest each winter with another family, but this last year we decided to do a summer trip. Admittedly, we spent more time lounging on the deck than exploring by bike. When we did go out and explore by bike, we found quite a bit of double track and jeep roads, with a few trails and some almost-trails across cow pastures. It was enjoyable, but personally, unless I find more trails during this summer's yurt trip, I won't make a special trip up there just for the biking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CO state parks with good riding?-yurt.jpg  

CO state parks with good riding?-yurttrip1.jpg  

CO state parks with good riding?-yurttrip2.jpg  

CO state parks with good riding?-yurttrip3.jpg  

CO state parks with good riding?-yurttrip4.jpg  

CO state parks with good riding?-yurttrip5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great pictures! I think I saw a moose in one of them!

crashes in parkinglot
    thanks all, I'll be checking out State Forest and Cheyenne Mountain this year looks like some good scenery and something new which will be nice.
    Down is the new up.