Wrench-O-Phile

CO Springs trail conditions?

I have a business trip to CO Springs from 3/16 to 3/27. I used to live in Breckenridge and I know it's still early in the season... but would it be worth taking my bike?

I live in AZ so it's been 75 degrees for over a month now and hard to imagine snow and mud stopping one from riding. I don't really know the layout of the town or trails that surround it. Trying to get a feel of the amount of snow in the area at this time of the year.

I don't mind XC but prefer more technical trails. Maybe there is even some urban type stuff or whatever? My thought was to bring an AM type hardtail that can climb but also could be used just goofing around in town if need be.

Any locals with trail suggestions would be great.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

mtbr member
    Yes, bring your bike. Conditions are still great. For more technical go to Palmer Park and Ute Valley.

Wrench-O-Phile
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    Yes, bring your bike. Conditions are still great. For more technical go to Palmer Park and Ute Valley.
    Just what I wanted to hear.
    Just keep pedaling...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Funrover,
    Did Palmer get any snow the night before last? In the northern part of the springs we got about an inch but except for the shady areas it was all gone by noon.

Chris

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Anything that fell has melted. We didn't make it over to the north side last night, but the south stuff was in fine shape.

Elvota: We're going to ride on Tuesday at 4:30 (we'll decide where later) for a technical-oriented ride if you are able to cut out of your meeting a little early.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    Funrover,
    Did Palmer get any snow the night before last? In the northern part of the springs we got about an inch but except for the shady areas it was all gone by noon.

Chris
    It did, but not enough to make mud. There was a little left in the shade that might attempt to make the ground less dry.. but conditions will be totally dry today

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Buckhorn, Captain Jacks OK.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Just did that loop, it was nice, on the dry side even for that trail tho, I hate to think about it in a few months without some serious moisture.

On a side note there was someone doing trailwork at the bottom of CJ's after that 180 degree left turn and before the lot, while I appreciate the effort I'm not sure I agree with his work. He was building waterbars with rocks, this section doesn't really see any ruts develop as it's mostly scree and gravel, maybe it was speed bumps cause you certainly could not carry as much speed as before, kind of bummer as I liked that section.

mtbr member
    I noticed that guy (and his dog) when I was up there a week or 2 ago. He was higher up... I wonder if he is doing it alone or part of a club?

Wrench-O-Phile
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Elvota: We're going to ride on Tuesday at 4:30 (we'll decide where later) for a technical-oriented ride if you are able to cut out of your meeting a little early.
    Thanks for the invite. I might not be shipping my bike until this Friday so it won't be in CO Springs until maybe Tuesday, most likely Wednesday.

I do not have very much control over my days but am hoping to do some rides on the weekend... possibly mid-week as well.
    Just keep pedaling...

Your retarded
    To echo Kristian, we do the Tuesday ride thing. What we ride sounds like what you are looking for. Plus, I just want to ride with ya because your avatar is badass. There's no shame in that, right?
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Wrench-O-Phile
    Nickle, Kristian (and others)...

Thanks for the invites and tips.

I am going to be attending Barnett's school for the time I am there and it seems that Captain Jacks, Chutes and Buckhorn trails all all right there. Barnett's is on Cimarron, and it seems most of these trails are off Gold Camp road.

Any suggestions on best loops to do coming from Cimarron? I most likely won't have access to a vehicle and will have to ride to the trail head. The bike I chose to send is more of a AM hardtail and will be hating on the road... but one has to do what one has to do.

From what I read on MTBR, Captain Jacks sounds like a lot of fun but I can't make sense of the direction to go or best way to tie in this Chutes or Buckhorn trail.

My bike won't arrive until Wednesday and my riding might just be limited to the weekend, possibly Friday as well or evenings after 5:30 or so.
    Just keep pedaling...

mtbr member
    palmer trail-section 16 is right there and is worth a ride for sure. its nice finishing that ride out with a loop through red rocks which you can finish right by BBI. any questions about trails ask Jon Hurley at barnetts. he knows them all.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvota

I am going to be attending Barnett's school for the time I am there and it seems that Captain Jacks, Chutes and Buckhorn trails all all right there. Barnett's is on Cimarron, and it seems most of these trails are off Gold Camp road.

Any suggestions on best loops to do coming from Cimarron?
    Tell the staff at Barnett's the trails you want to ride and they'll tell you how to get there and loop them up from where you are staying. It will make a lot more sense when you are looking at map.