mtbr member

CO May 7-14: What's Ridable?

My friend and I are leaving out of Memphis, TN heading on a mountain biking trip out west. I'm tryin to plan the route right now. Ultimately, we will spend one day in Fruita and two in Moab. Other than that, we are not sure. We are thinking of driving through Denver over the pass and on to Grand Junction/Fruita. Will anything be ridable in CO during that time besides the Fruita area? Other options include taking a southern route through NM, AZ, etc, hitting up some trails there and doing Thunder Mt. near St. George, UT; but we'd like to go through CO if there is any riding available. I'm thinking there might be too much snow and too wet to ride much in the Rockies. Any insights appreciated. Thanks, Chuck
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Thread Terrorist
    Chuck,
    First of all, go down to Tellico Plains, TN, and grab the owner (Stu) for your trip. He know's Colorado, Kansas & parts of Utah relatively well. Plus, he's a funny guy to have along on a random road trip.

As for May, things around here are well into the thaw cycle. There are the occasional snow storms, but the Front Range (the Front of the mountains as you enter them on I-70) are usually pretty dry. You'll still have the occasional snow drift, but its not bad.

The high-country is still thawing, so the trails up high will have more of that snow (with the occasional red hue to it (due to algae)) for ya. So, just keep on truckin' through to Fruita. Honestly, its hard to say where you should spend your time. Grand Junction is REALLY fun and you can spend at least a day there... then Fruita, where you can have even more fun on road 18 and Loma. So, I'd say skip the front range and get there as fast as you can.

If you do come through Golden, Look me up. I can help you poach some free lodging in the open space next to my place
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. May take you up on the camping if we pass through that way. Looking like we may spend most of our time in Fruita and Utah. May make some last minute changes with updated conditions.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    Thanks for the info. May take you up on the camping if we pass through that way. Looking like we may spend most of our time in Fruita and Utah. May make some last minute changes with updated conditions.
    Dude... don't camp in his greenbelt. You'll become kitty food.

Thread Terrorist
    dam it, the pvssy needs to eat!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    dam it, the pvssy needs to eat!
    You got that backwards, mate!