Thread: CO Downhill?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

CO Downhill?

I am relocating to the Littleton area and was wondering if there is any good DH riding nearby. I assume that this is probably a stupid question as there are a ton of world class mountains within a 2 hour drive, but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger on a new DH bike.

If so;
    1. What are the best mountains?
    2. How long is the DH riding season?
    3. Are there any good season passes available?
    4. Is a long-travel All-Mountain or a full blown DH bike the best option for local DHing?

Thanks,

John

adamant
    Sep 2006
    Winter Park's bike park http://trestlebikepark.com, Sol Vista just down the road, and Keystone (Summit Cty) all have great lift-serv riding, and all have a different feel from each other. 90 min drive from Denver metro.

at WP a 6 inch bike is fine, but as always, more travel = more fun

Living the High Life

Front Range DH = doesn't exist, the trails are too busy. This is not a "locals only" thing, Jefferson County is way to busy to shuttle and ride a bike at DH speed.

Mountains lift access, runs from early June until late September. Your options within 1.5 hours from Denver are Keystone, Winter Park, Vail and Sol Vista. Ride them all! I've had awesome days at all of them.

For a bike? Personal preference. But with this much lift access so close, a DH bike is absolutely worth it.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you buy a Vail (i.e. Colorado,Epic) pass for 11/12 this spring last I saw you get Keystone lift access this summer. I'm guessing the same applies for Winter Park,...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hypokondriak
    If you buy a Vail (i.e. Colorado,Epic) pass for 11/12 this spring last I saw you get Keystone lift access this summer. I'm guessing the same applies for Winter Park,...
    Hum... I like to get in on that deal! Sadly, I believe you're wrong (about Winter Park)
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hypokondriak
    lift access does not equal "bike haul"...its a nice thought though. I wouldnt mind giving keystone some money if then spent 30 minutes a season in trail maintainance.
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There's fabulous DH riding in the FR - after you ride your bike up.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    There's fabulous DH riding in the FR - after you ride your bike up.
    Seriously, this again, don't be closed minded, DH riding is another facet of the sport, get used to it..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Custom User Title
    There is no DH here please move on.

And no matter what you may hear riding some of these trails in full gear on a DH rig is not necessary. For gravity wait till the resorts open up.

I prefer a long travel AM bike for riding trails. It works good at Winter Park also. Sol Vista and Keystone a DH would be preferred

Carry on.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Like lthnu mentioned, Jeffco trails are far too busy for DH specific riding. Just ride any open space park on a weekend and you'll see what I mean. As many have mentioned, the resorts are great for DH, everything else is best for all around mountain biking. If you are willing to pedal, you will find DH paradise in CO, but you may have to climb for hours first. If you are only into DH, your riding season is very short around here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all of the replies. It appears I may not have been clear in my question. I am wondering how the lift-assisted riding at the mountain resorts is. Also, what resorts offer lift assisted DH in the summer and how good is the riding they offer? I did not mean to imply that I am interested in shuttling the local xc trails. I am actually a trail/xc rider, and intend on riding trails and my road bike as priority number one. I just thought it might be fun to get a DH bike to supplement my trail/xc riding if it is worth it with such great access to the resorts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseJuice71
    Thanks for all of the replies. It appears I may not have been clear in my question. I am wondering how the lift-assisted riding at the mountain resorts is. Also, what resorts offer lift assisted DH in the summer and how good is the riding they offer? I did not mean to imply that I am interested in shuttling the local xc trails. I am actually a trail/xc rider, and intend on riding trails and my road bike as priority number one. I just thought it might be fun to get a DH bike to supplement my trail/xc riding if it is worth it with such great access to the resorts.
    Vail, Sol Vista, Keystone, Winter Park.

They are all great. Unfortunately there is not a universal pass that includes all mountains.

Sol Vista has the nastiest, biggest, and roughest stuff, but kinda short
    Vail has the best dirt, but not a ton of trails
    Keystone is long, rough, and has some fun stuff
    Winter Park is the most mellow, but still a blast with a ton of jumps and an ever growing trail map, I rode there the most last year.
    Transition, Shimano, DT Swiss, deity, Maxxis, Dakine, Demon Dirt, MRP, Oakley, VP, Honey Stinger, Grassroots Cycles

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Winter Park is stepping their game up for sure. I personally like riding there the most, keystone next, then Sol v. Winter Park just put in a nice step down on the trestle DH that did away with a flow busting rock move. At least flow busting for me that is. I love that trail! Perfect for 6" or full blown DH. I agree with simcik's ranking of the resorts, though sol v's gnar is in the form of BIG gaps, not much steep tech really.

Oh, So Interesting!
    A dh bike is worth it IMO, but most resorts (WP, Keystone, SV) have decent rental fleets so you can rent and try out a few bikes 1st.

I like WP and Keystone... Keystone is long, rough and technical. Someplace nearby rents Trek Sessions.... WP has more flowy trails and better jumps (IMO), they rent Konas. Sol Vista is ok, great if you like to go huge I guess... they have some big features and the best rentals but a lot of the features are beyond my skill level. Still worth checking out for sure though.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't go for a DH bike as the only bike. The Lift season is only June - September. And the resorts are too far from Denver for an evening ride.

A DH bike is awesome to have as a second sled, though. If you already have something to pedal... oh yes, the DH sled is worth it. 3 resorts in 2h distance. 16 weekends, maybe some vacation days during the week...
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu

Front Range DH = doesn't exist, the trails are too busy.

Golden Bike park and I think Ryolite Bike park have DH only trails that are public. They're open all year round. IF you want more, let us know.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park