mtbr member
    Jan 2004

CO car insurance and your rights

a few weeks ago i was rear ended by a guy not paying attention..now i am dealing with his insurance company, doctors and car repair..now the state changed in 2003 to a tort system and in this new system i cannot collect any settlement from his insurance company til i am healed up and ready to settle this claim..so i am forced to pay my copay to see doctor and have test done and do this through my own health insurance..there is insurace offered by your own car insurance company that will cover you for these expenses up to a limit..its called tempory medical coverage and i wish i had some..

Rolling
    The other way to do it if you are not seriously injured and expect to heal fast is to do "private pay" at the doctor...It's takes a while to get the bills to you and you can get away another month without paying them. It's slighty risky and some docs may not render services until you pay or guarantee insurance coverage...Hospitals will though!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u
    a few weeks ago i was rear ended by a guy not paying attention..now i am dealing with his insurance company, doctors and car repair..now the state changed in 2003 to a tort system and in this new system i cannot collect any settlement from his insurance company til i am healed up and ready to settle this claim..so i am forced to pay my copay to see doctor and have test done and do this through my own health insurance..there is insurace offered by your own car insurance company that will cover you for these expenses up to a limit..its called tempory medical coverage and i wish i had some..
    Welcome to the biggest loss to colorado drivers; our tort system. My wife is a chiropractor, who use to deal alot with personal injury care from auto accidents. Not any more. It's a lose-lose situation. Coloradans were duped into believing we would get lower rates.Right.
    Since my wife had a heads up on what was coming, we did get the temporary med coverage, and I believe some additional coverage to protect us from the stupid new system.
    Sorry to hear of your situation. Remember to thank your local politicians.