Thread: Close Enough

slow

Close Enough

Not really Colorado, but close enough.

We headed up to Laramie on Saturday for a ride at Pole Mtn. Woke up to rain, but decided we would go up, since we were already awake anyway. Drove through a bunch of rain on the way up I-25, and the clouds looked worse and worse as we got closer to the ride area. Rain let up and turned to drizzle as we got ready. Dressed pretty warmly as it was only 49 degrees at 7:00am at 8800ft. Rain started again a short time into the ride. Got quite a bit of rain during the ride, but still had fun.

The ride was great. Trails drain very well up there and traction was great. Didn't see anyone else until the very end as we were leaving.
    Attached Images Attached Images

contains quinine
    I can't wait for the Enduro.

I really like the rider approching the corner, following those other bike tracks.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

slow
    Almost everything we rode was on the Enduro course, but in reverse direction.

Sounds like it could be a fun race, if I was in shape.

Goofing off?
    Looks fun!

"Oldfart from Wayback"

What trails did you ride ?

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Almost everything we rode was on the Enduro course, but in reverse direction.

I'm looking for some mellow singletrack for my wife. Lory/Horsetooth Meadows, Pineridge, and the Mount Margaret loops are about the extent of her experience and I've read some good stuff about Pole Mountain.

We've done alot of rock-climbing at both Blair and Vedauwoo and a little riding around the 'Woo and would love to try out Pole Mtn. next trip up there. Thanks.

slow
    OBD,
    Don't know the names of all of the trails and not all are on the attached map. We rode Headquarters trail from the HQ lot to the lower HQ lot. From there we went north on HQ road to the next trail intersection, where we went left and followed the bottom of the ridge to the campground road and then to middle Aspen Trail. We climbed that to the lower UW trail and then to the upper UW and back to the car. Only rode for a bit over an hour as I had to be back for my son's baseball game.
    Did this same ride a couple of years ago with my wife, brother in law, and his girlfriend. Both ladies liked the ride, but both said the climb up Middle Aspen was a bit tough, and the girlfriend said the ride down HQ trail to the lower parking lot was a bit technical for her. When we were crossing them, the green XC trails on the map appeared to be pretty easy. I am going to take my daughter riding up there next chance I get.
    We went up I-25 and it only took an hour.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Oldfart from Wayback"

If you have Google Earth, look at Pole Mtn.

It's an "ultra hi- rez" area that you can zoom in on and count the pine needles on the ground, as well as all the trails More than I've seen on a map.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    I'm looking for some mellow singletrack for my wife. Lory/Horsetooth Meadows, Pineridge, and the Mount Margaret loops are about the extent of her experience and I've read some good stuff about Pole Mountain.

We've done alot of rock-climbing at both Blair and Vedauwoo and a little riding around the 'Woo and would love to try out Pole Mtn. next trip up there. Thanks.
    Definately check it out. If they can muster a 111k race up that way, you know there's good riding on at least part of it!

THe Pole hill area is probably the best place to explore. Although, I did take my then fiance now wife up there a few years ago, and she threw her bike on the ground and was yelling at me for something or other on the Headquarters trail, there's a ton of great stuff. If you're already heading there for climbing, why not take an afternoon off for the bikes!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    It's an "ultra hi- rez" area that you can zoom in on and count the pine needles on the ground, as well as all the trails More than I've seen on a map.

Cool!