MTBR Contributing Editor

Close Encounters of the Fawn kind

I was cruising down one of my local trails, and I saw this spotted object in the trail in front of me. At first I thought it's a dead rabbit or something like that. I veered away from it, and as I passed it, I saw that it was a Fawn. I got off my bike and checked it out, and it was just sleeping and resting in the middle of the trail. I walked around the area thinking maybe the Doe (Mom) might be hurt or worse, but I never saw anything. As I wandered around some more I saw a second and much larger Fawn hidden a bit better in the nook of an Evergreen tree. Figuring Mom was close by, I left the very cute Fawns to themselves and I hope they survive. I figured they were around couple of weeks old (my best guess).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice shots!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Thread Terrorist
    Wow. Rare sight.

Now with 10% more!
    Nice shots! I couldn't find it in the first pic until I got a hint from the 3rd one. Really cool, they look very young.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    fawn=bunny hop practice. Like horse poop.

Msurk

skillz to pay billz
    wow, my guess is these might be orphaned and weak. they should have run from you, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    no, their instinct is to stay motionless. they stand a better chance hoping a predator will not see them (hence the spots) than they do trying to out run one. they're also scentless at that age (for the same reason). they'll run, but only at the last second.

mom was probably off grazing.

saw some fox kits the other day on my ride. gotta love this place!

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    wow, my guess is these might be orphaned and weak. they should have run from you, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by deck
    no, their instinct is to stay motionless. they stand a better chance hoping a predator will not see them (hence the spots) than they do trying to out run one. they're also scentless at that age (for the same reason). they'll run, but only at the last second.

mom was probably off grazing.

saw some fox kits the other day on my ride. gotta love this place!

Lets hope they are fine and survive, that would be sad for them to perish, but rearing an animal is a task in itself and can cause other issues due to human interaction. It was at least a good 2 mile trudge to get to that spot where I found the twins, so it would be an arduous rescue. They still looked healthy at the time.

Fawns are often found alone, because they do not flee from danger until about 14 days of age, and they do not forage with their mother until they are older. To escape detection a fawn lies motionless in tall grass or other cover. Its spotted coat helps it blend into its surroundings by imitating dappled sun on vegetation. Does leave their fawns unattended for several hours at a time.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Really cool shots!
    Amazing that they didn't move ... much different from my experiences.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Must be that time of year,

Waterton Canyon last week
    fawn.gif

mtbr member
    Great pics, don't see that everyday!

skillz to pay billz
    good to know, thanks

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey pastajet, we saw the fawn there Sun around noon, when did you see it? Hope it made it, we thought it was weak and dying but didn't want to touch it in case the mother was close by.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Hey pastajet, we saw the fawn there Sun around noon, when did you see it? Hope it made it, we thought it was weak and dying but didn't want to touch it in case the mother was close by.
    I was there a just an hour or so earlier? Was my make shift branch across the trail? That little one did look frail and very small, the other one looked much bigger and healthier. Did you see that second one?

What was with all the bark across the trail down lower, bears looking for grubs and bugs? Freakin' horses tore up Colonels Revenge since last week, ugh!

rr
    I don't do PC
    I don't remember the branch, and no we didn't see the other one.

We took Mule down from there and climbed up Limbaugh to the backside which was very nice, then climbed out and did the stoopid trail down, fun day.