i can't type the letter s

Clear Creek Trail Info

I just arrived in CO for two weeks visiting family and am interested in riding some of the Clear Creek trails. As we, wife and I, were going through Georgetown I was looking up at the mountain on the lake side (south) and thought I saw a trail. Is there a trail up there? Lots of exposure if there is which sounds great to ride. What are some recommendations in the area that have that kind of exposure?

Big Boned
    You're probably seeing Silver Creek Trail. Not sure where you are exactly in town, but if you can find the Visitor's Center across from the Subway, go south from there across the creek, turn left at the first stop sign, climb that road and make sure to stay on the "high" line at the first couple forks. You'll pass a forest service sign describing Saxon Mountain Road, etc. -- also showing "Silver Creek Trail 0.1 miles." After you pass that sign, you'll pass a couple houses on your left. When you see the last house before you reach a right-hand switchback, turn left into what looks like their driveway (it's actually a street) -- you'll go to your right and look for the trailhead between some large rocks on the ground. Do not go downhill on the pavement, look for the trail to your right. Follow this trail out and back, you'll get in about 10 miles of singletrack with some interesting techy stuff and plenty of exposure. Just be careful, there are some spots where the exposure is pretty nasty. Have fun!
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Big Boned
    forgot to mention - just turn around when the trail ends at a jeep road and ride it back. That road is super steep and loose and if you go that way you have to climb the paved frontage road back to G-town.

Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    forgot to mention - just turn around when the trail ends at a jeep road and ride it back. That road is super steep and loose and if you go that way you have to climb the paved frontage road back to G-town.
    Thanks for the info MMD. I am in west Denver, close to Morrison. I understand you're the man for information 'round these parts'.
    Are you riding some of the CC trails in Idaho Springs this or next week? If you are, would you mind a tag along? I'm a bit out of shape and I'm not used to the altitude so if your group rides are fast (relative I know) don't worry about it. I just need someone to point me in the right direction. My riding style leans toward DH and slow, steep, techy, rocky declines. Which is why all the more I need to ride uphill, slow, steep rocky to get my arse in shape and lose about 10 lbs And what better place then here?

Thanks,
    tom,

Big Boned
    The guy to contact is actually the Big Galoot, check out the Clear Creek Race thread. He's the man, I merely pass along info gleaned from the masters.

I am stuck in Chicago on business for the next week and a half. Bloody, muddy mess around here. Biblical rains, the trails are wrecked. Hating it.

Check out http://clearcreektrails.com/barbour.html for directions to one good ride up above Idaho. You might also dig Warren Gulch, it's easier to navigate than Barbour. To ride that from Idaho, just ride up Soda Creek Road to Steve Canyon Rd., turn left, ride up the road about 1/2 mile or so and keep looking for the trail entrance on your left, it's pretty obvious. Climb that forever (about 7 miles) and then turn around and bomb back down. Fun stuff. Grunt climb, though. Also, about 1/3 of the way up, you'll come out to a road -- simply keep climbing on the obvious dirt road uphill, which will switch back to your left and come to an intersection -- turn right, climb to the next intersection and turn and look for where the trail picks up again on your left, then keep climbing the trail the rest of the way to the top on Route 103. It's tons of fun, fast rocky downhill.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Thanks for the info MMD. I am in west Denver, close to Morrison. I understand you're the man for information 'round these parts'.
    Are you riding some of the CC trails in Idaho Springs this or next week? If you are, would you mind a tag along? I'm a bit out of shape and I'm not used to the altitude so if your group rides are fast (relative I know) don't worry about it. I just need someone to point me in the right direction. My riding style leans toward DH and slow, steep, techy, rocky declines. Which is why all the more I need to ride uphill, slow, steep rocky to get my arse in shape and lose about 10 lbs And what better place then here?

Thanks,
    tom,

Thanks again! I'm really looking forward to riding here and exploring new trails! I'll be here for two weeks so when you get back, if you're interested, we can ride together.

Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    The guy to contact is actually the Big Galoot, check out the Clear Creek Race thread. He's the man, I merely pass along info gleaned from the masters.

I am stuck in Chicago on business for the next week and a half. Bloody, muddy mess around here. Biblical rains, the trails are wrecked. Hating it.

Check out http://clearcreektrails.com/barbour.html for directions to one good ride up above Idaho. You might also dig Warren Gulch, it's easier to navigate than Barbour. To ride that from Idaho, just ride up Soda Creek Road to Steve Canyon Rd., turn left, ride up the road about 1/2 mile or so and keep looking for the trail entrance on your left, it's pretty obvious. Climb that forever (about 7 miles) and then turn around and bomb back down. Fun stuff. Grunt climb, though. Also, about 1/3 of the way up, you'll come out to a road -- simply keep climbing on the obvious dirt road uphill, which will switch back to your left and come to an intersection -- turn right, climb to the next intersection and turn and look for where the trail picks up again on your left, then keep climbing the trail the rest of the way to the top on Route 103. It's tons of fun, fast rocky downhill.

Have fun!