Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Claim Jumpers!

Yappy little dog!

Claim Jumpers!

I've always enjoyed the Gold Dust trail, particularly because it has rarely seen a lot of use. There's something about that feeling you get, riding on skinny singletrack that dodges in and out of trees. Ok, I realize it has always been a popular cross-country ski trail, but bikes (at least as long as I have been in Colorado) have been minimal. But, like all great trails, they eventually get noticed and this little nugget (pun intended) has been found.

My first sign were the cars parked by the trailhead. I have never seen that before. When I drove by Kenosha, the only thought going through my mind was why? It was a mad house of cars and bikes. If I wanted to subject myself to that today, I would have ridden local trails. That's why I drove the extra ten minutes to Boreas Pass. Yeah, and let me rant here but take it with a grain of salt. By crowded, I am talking about four hikers and six bikers.

Needless to say, this trail still takes my breath away. Not from a difficult point of view. Heck, I think there is one rock I can't get over.

No. My breath is stolen by the solitude and unique sound of the tire rolling along the pine needles. I can't explain it. It's just a combination of the air in the tire, the knobbies, and the individual pine needles being run over by my wheel. I don't even look around, I just listen.

All this melodic white noise. Then, I stop to take a picture, put my bike in the middle of the trail, and wham!

Whoa! I'm sorry. I didn't expect to see anyone else here. Really, that's what I said. Ignorant? Yeah, maybe but I have been trained to think that here. Why come here when there's a perfectly good Kenosha just up the road? The bike doesn't seem to mind, but in the back of my head I do. Selfish? Yes. But, I don't get to partake in trail solitude all that often. I share, just like everyone else. Hello, Goodbye. Have a nice ride. A smile. That doesn't change, but there's a frown in the back of my head.

I ride on and forget again. Maybe, it's just a figment of my imagination. People? Here? Nah. Let the distraction slip away, the mechanical sounds drown in the water, the reflection of metal disappear in the distance.

Weather is rolling in and I haven't even made it to the best part. Decision time. I can't pass up my favorite part. Maybe, I can squeak by.

Yes! I make it to the flume and mosey my way up (.8% grade - hardly up). I am purposely going slow as if to savor the moment. It's like a "being in the zone" kind of thing. I'm not paying much attention to what's in front of me until I come around a corner and nearly get run off the hill. More people? What the heck? They are not looking to stop either. Maybe, it's hard to tell who is really going uphill, but trail etiquette should still be followed

This was the sign of the day, though I did run into some familiar people even though I didn't immediately recognize them. I'm not good with faces and names, but I always seem to see people who know me. Nice seeing you Reven, George, and Todd. At least, I can remember a few hours later. That and the fact they passed my geared bike on their single speeds like I was standing still.

I found out from some other riders that the Gold Dust trail is part of the Breckenridge 100. That explains the people traffic, but also probably spells out the end of a little used trail.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    At least one of the trucks you saw at Kenosha today was ours but to be fair after going to Breckenridge for Burgers n brew at the Breckenridge Brewery we climbed ol Boreas Pass and bombed down the snake pipe of Gold Dust. Nice pics and synopsis of the Gold Dust.

crashes in parkinglot
    Nice shots and write up. I hit GD to Boreas pass saw a some people, and everyone was having a good time. It was my first time hitting that trail, and there are some very good sections. I wish the aspen section lasted the entire ride though.
    Down is the new up.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Great pics!
    I know what you mean by having the solitude of a ride interrupted by that rare person... funny.
    If only that was the norm...
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

skillz to pay billz
    I don't think posting your lesser known place on an internet forum is helping your self stated frustrations.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I don't think posting your lesser known place on an internet forum is helping your self stated frustrations.

Nah, I have posted it before. The Breck 100 will do more damage than my postings. It's OK though. I'll find another and I'll post that too . Though, I have been known to keep a secret or two.

I'll never tell!

skillz to pay billz
    just an observation.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Gold Dust is not a secret and gets a small to moderate amount of use. It' used in loop three of the Breckenridge 100. Hardly hush hush.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Nah, I have posted it before. The Breck 100 will do more damage than my postings. It's OK though. I'll find another and I'll post that too . Though, I have been known to keep a secret or two.

I'll never tell!

It has been part of that race for years; plus 70 percent of the people never make it to that section in the race. You posting here will create more traffic than that race will.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    It has been part of that race for years; plus 70 percent of the people never make it to that section in the race. You posting here will create more traffic than that race will.
    In the years that the B-100 has used the trail, internet postings talking about how great it is, and Park County and the FS trying to promote it, I have not seen much of an increase of use on the Gold Dust trail. A little maybe, but not enough to make much of a difference in the condition of the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    In the years that the B-100 has used the trail, internet postings talking about how great it is, and Park County and the FS trying to promote it, I have not seen much of an increase of use on the Gold Dust trail. A little maybe, but not enough to make much of a difference in the condition of the trail.
    I agree...plus there is just so much trail in and around Breck; the couple times I have ridden it I have not seen many people out there.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I'd love to see a map showing the decreasing usage frequency of XC trails based on distance from the front range.

Too busy looking good
    Thanks for the pics, very nice!

Speaking of the B-100, I rode the Gold Dust trail for the first time as part of this race in '08 (guess I was part of the 30% I was way too decimated to enjoy it, but had at least enough mental capacity to realize was an awesome trail it was. I haven't been back to give it the respect it deserved, but your pics have renewed my determination.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    I'd love to see a map showing the decreasing usage frequency of XC trails based on distance from the front range.
    You need a map for that? It's pretty obvious, even with seasonal fluctuations.

Rigid in Evergreen
    You need a map for that? It's pretty obvious, even with seasonal fluctuations.

I'd just like to have it so I could post it whenever someone is concerned that someone else is giving away the goods on their secret stash 2+ hours from Denver

Yappy little dog!
    I'd just like to have it so I could post it whenever someone is concerned that someone else is giving away the goods on their secret stash 2+ hours from Denver

I get it.

This certainly wasn't my secret. I just thought it was cool it wasn't used that much. I have two secret stash trails close enough to Denver on public land. I'm open to trades and bribes.

I'm kidding.

mtbr member
    Beautiful, looks like a great area!

mtbr member
    Nice Pics. How's the Erikson 575?
    Catalina wine Mixer!

bike rider
    One person's wilderness is another's backyard. Too bad the Hidden Gems people can't wrap their heads around that.
    Keep the Country country.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonj1979
    Nice Pics. How's the Erikson 575?
    Love the bike. It finally got it's real workout yesterday at Two Elks. A+

Thread Terrorist
    I like your wheels.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Rigid in Evergreen
    Is there a single-track route off Boreas Pass towards Breckenridge? Or do you have to take the gravel road down?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Love the bike. It finally got it's real workout yesterday at Two Elks. A+
    You *DID* do the "correct" way down, right?

Yappy little dog!
    Is there a single-track route off Boreas Pass towards Breckenridge? Or do you have to take the gravel road down?

I have been told there is singletrack into Breck but you have to go down the road a little bit. I have never ridden it.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    You *DID* do the "correct" way down, right?
    There's an incorrect way?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast