Bad Andy

City of Lakewood/Grn Mtn adopt-a-trail

Got an email from the person at Lakewood that leads the adopt-a-trail that I have been doing on Green Mountain.
    Here is an important part of it:

[SIZE=2]"As for adverising, please let your friends know that there are six segments open for adoption. Any other advertising is welcome, If you need any infomation let me know and I will get it to you. I have been hearing a commercial on the radio and it goes something like this, If you like what we are doing tell a friend, if you don't tell me and I will make it right. This goes for the adopt-a-trail program also."

Here's the link to sign up:
    http://www.lakewood.org/comres/page....Adopt-A-Trail/

If you have never given back by doing trail work, I highly recommend it. Our family adopted a section, and it is fun and rewarding, and a good family activity for tweenagers and teenagers, as well.
    Looks like the birds got to our sign:

How about a sign - "Adopt a Trail - T.I.T.S."!!!!!!!!

[/SIZE]

Moosehead
    AC, I've seen your adopted trail on GM, first time at night. Nice, two-way street, so to speak, and a good idea by Lakewood. Thanks to the Chrysler's. I called Jeffco seeking to do something similar there, but they do not have a like-kind program beyond the normal trail day outings. Potential opportunity?

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    I called Jeffco seeking to do something similar there, but they do not have a like-kind program beyond the normal trail day outings. Potential opportunity?
    I like the idea of doing it in Jeffco.
    By the "normal trail day outings", just want to make sure you are aware of the mini-crews that will be starting up soon (May, I assume). "fixation" has done a great job with those, and word is JCOS is starting to trust us to do more work.

Moosehead
    Yes, thanks, mini-crews. The good folks at Comba have made headway with JCOS to get the MTB community more involved in actual trail repair and potentially techniques. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Will there be mini crew at GM? I pitched in last year at Lookout Mt and such but I'd love to help improve GM. I think 2/3rd up the south-facing single track lined up with stones - despite all that effort, it gets muddy badly when it snows. A couple of bottom loop too, I see they debermed just past the new water tank, but I'm not sure if that section needed it worse than other sections. And the Box O Rox. I'd love to give back where I ride the most in winter, please post up the schedule. Thanks.

Bad Andy
    I don't know the mini crew schedule, but Fixation usually posts it when they start - I think they've usually done the 3rd Thursdays starting in May. I'm pretty sure they won't be doing Green Mountain though, because the mini crews are in conjunction with JCOS, of which Grn Mtn is not a part.
    Get your own mini crew and adopt a 1/2 mile stretch on Grn Mtn!
    City of Lakewood did do a bunch of stuff on Grn Mtn for National Trails day last June, and I would bet they will again.
    See my link above and maybe email or call Erik Nilsen for that - contact info is on link.

flatlander in paradise
    Thanks for the heads up, I just signed my office up to adopt a section of trail. We have a good number of bikers in our office and go ride Green Mt. at lunch pretty regularly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Lakewood seems to do (or don't do too much) its own indeed. JCOS folks has nothing to do with that place, yet it gets probably the most use out of anywhere in JeffCo. There seems to be much less organized regular trail maintenance efforts at GM. JCOS crew made a comment that GM was in a pretty sad condition, yet they couldn't do anything about it...