Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    the Chain Guy
    Reputation: bismirle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    949

    Good job! The City is going to step up and keep Ute Valley from getting cut in half

    This is right next to my house so I'm pretty pumped the HP land isn't going to developers.


    Colorado Springs plans $7 million open space purchase | gazette.com

  2. #2
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,986
    Quote Originally Posted by bismirle View Post
    This is right next to my house so I'm pretty pumped the HP land isn't going to developers.


    Colorado Springs plans $7 million open space purchase | gazette.com
    I'm not sure exactly which portion of the HP Campus they are referring too, but while working at HP during the building demolishing phase, the rumor was that TOPS was the likely buyer of the newly vacant property. Good to see some semi-official acknowledgment of that rumor.
    baker

  3. #3
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,028
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I'm not sure exactly which portion of the HP Campus they are referring too, but while working at HP during the building demolishing phase, the rumor was that TOPS was the likely buyer of the newly vacant property. Good to see some semi-official acknowledgment of that rumor.
    Too bad TOPS is purchasing it instead of City Parks. That means a conservation easement will be slapped on it immediately and you'll never play disc golf or have a bike race there ever again. Not to mention the instant write off of about $5 million.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,509
    Well, the disc golf course was taken down last year and, so far, I haven't seen the "holes" put back up this year.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  5. #5
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,986

    Re: The City is going to step up and keep Ute Valley from getting cut in half

    Since the DG course was on HP property and they closed it, I don't expect we will see a return until there is a sale (or maybe never). I played a ton of DG there and even got a couple hole in ones. Good memories.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    baker

  6. #6
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,028
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Since the DG course was on HP property and they closed it, I don't expect we will see a return until there is a sale (or maybe never). I played a ton of DG there and even got a couple hole in ones. Good memories.
    I'm sorry to say that if TOPS buys it and GOCO pays for part of it you can be 100% certain a disc golf course will never be there again.

    There will be no active use recreation allowed. No chance for a bike park and no bike races on the trails.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    786
    UncleTrail, yes this purchase and a conservation easement will limit some uses but City Parks doesn't buy anything without using TOPS funds and if this sacrifices disc golf or racing
    but prevents some huge commercial or residential development it can't be a bad thing.

  8. #8
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,028
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    UncleTrail, yes this purchase and a conservation easement will limit some uses but City Parks doesn't buy anything without using TOPS funds and if this sacrifices disc golf or racing but prevents some huge commercial or residential development it can't be a bad thing.
    That's not entirely correct.
    TOPS is its' own sub-department within the Parks department with its' own budget and funding source, and yes City Parks does buy/aquire land without TOPS funds. Venezia Park is a recent example.

    TOPS funds can only pay for City Parks facilities/improvements, not the land, or else a conservation easement must be placed on the land and TOPS manages it. It's in the TOPS regs, and GOCO requirements. The Skate Park is an example of that. City Parks land, TOPS improvements.

    So every time TOPS buys land, it's one less property that can be used for a real park that kids and people can play in... in perpetuity.

    TOPS land is just another dog park as far as I'm concerned. Which is cool too, but it's defintely not something I'm excited about from a MTB'er perspective or as the father of an 8yo who is tired of seeing a run down/broke City Parks department that cannot even keep the toilets working or drinking fountains running... while watching TOPS run off and purchase more land it doesn't really need and will not spend their own money to take care of.

    City Parks budget inevitably takes the hit for the maintenance on TOPS property that TOPS does not pay for. That's one of my biggest problems with TOPS. They should take care of the land they buy, but they don't. TOPS are horrible land stewards and they mooch off the City Parks budget for maintenance. It's selfish and disgusting and I refuse to support it.

    And the development doesn't go away. It just happens somewhere else. Not that there's much interest in building right now anyway.
    Especially with the new fire codes.

Similar Threads

  1. West Valley City
    By jpramick in forum Utah
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2013, 09:45 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 04:52 PM
  5. M730 Frt Mech - Alpine & Half Step - ???'s
    By sq_root_of_2 in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •