Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chimney Gulch was HOT!

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  2wheelsnotfour 
#1 ·
Got in a little patrol this morning at Chimney Gulch before going to watch my son play his first tackle football game. It was already mid 80's at 8:45 AM.

Chimney Gulch from Mitchell Sprinsky on Vimeo.

I would say that in the realm of fair match-ups, this one was not. Yeah, he's got my little genes. Still he held his ground, which is far more than I ever did at his age.

See less See more
1 1
#4 ·
Funrover said:
Sweet vid! I should do that trail one day!
I would agree the vid is sweet. However, and this is a big however, you Funrover should try CG for your first time when it definitely is NOT hot. Start at the bottom on the Golden side and grind your way to the top of Lookout Mountain. See if Schnauzer's vid of a sweet flowy trail with occasional chunk is what you think CG really is as you finally drag your carcass across the finish line.

I always loved CG as a grunt replete with chunky session areas. The 6 waterbar/switchbacks near the bottom were my favorite. Could get four always, five a lot, but had a really hard time putting together all six without dabbing---we're talking UP. Let us know how many you clear UP in one shot, Funrover. Have fun! :thumbsup:

#5 ·
2wheelsnotfour said:
It looks like your son plays offensive line. I played offensive line and was not as large as my opponents. There are definitely techniques which your son can use to mitigate his size disadvantage and even turn defenders' size and momentum against them. Also, with a size disadvantage, quickness is important.

2wheels
Thanks. They have him playing nose tackle and on special teams during kicks. He wanted to play QB, but of course the coaches son plays QB and they never really tried out anyones arm. I guess that's how the midget league football thing works.

There's twenty four kids on the team, so as long as everyone gets to play during a game and he is having fun, it's all good with me. There certainly isn't enough time for one on one training and at eleven, he's already a few years late to the game. As a passive recreationist (yeah, I call MTB a passive sport), I'm not much help.

#6 ·
xcguy said:
I would agree the vid is sweet. However, and this is a big however, you Funrover should try CG for your first time when it definitely is NOT hot. Start at the bottom on the Golden side and grind your way to the top of Lookout Mountain. See if Schnauzer's vid of a sweet flowy trail with occasional chunk is what you think CG really is as you finally drag your carcass across the finish line.

I always loved CG as a grunt replete with chunky session areas. The 6 waterbar/switchbacks near the bottom were my favorite. Could get four always, five a lot, but had a really hard time putting together all six without dabbing---we're talking UP. Let us know how many you clear UP in one shot, Funrover. Have fun! :thumbsup:
It's kind of boring to watch a video of someone peddling up hill. Just remember, to get the downhill sequences, I peddled up twice.

I am getting much better at the switchbacks and it all seemed to happen this year. I am at four out of five on the bottom, and all but one in the upper which I can't seem to get going down. Windly Saddle (which I did not ride yesterday), is a whole different story.

#7 · (Edited)
schnauzers said:
It's kind of boring to watch a video of someone peddling up hill. Just remember, to get the downhill sequences, I peddled up twice.

I am getting much better at the switchbacks and it all seemed to happen this year. I am at four out of five on the bottom, and all but one in the upper which I can't seem to get going down. Windy Saddle (which I did not ride yesterday), is a whole different story.
"Four out of five"? I counted six the last time I rode. The sixth one was always nearly impossible for me. The heights of the waterbars seemed to vary with each riding season. If they've been filled in that would make all the difference in the world. Check this pic---don't you count six? It's been awhile, where are the "upper" switchbacks, just before the second road crossing?

And I was gonna mention that you videographers put in a ton of back and forth miles to get your footage. Good work.

#8 ·
Ha.ha. I had it backwards. In that case they should have called holding on that center! Playing quarterback is over rated. The action is in the trenches. I played center and line backer and was on the small side. You might looking into youth football camps. Maybe the Broncos or Buffs have one. Back in Chicago I learned techniques from the Bears. It would be cool to show your son that size doesn't matter and anything's possible with hard work.

2wheels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.