Bad Andy

Chimney access info

Received an email from a friend today. It is to Jacob Smith (Golden Mayor), and a response, regarding access to Chimney from the tunnel under 6th.

Here are some excerpts:

Hi Jacob,
    Can you please educate me on the plans for the Chimney Gulch trail used by mountain bikers and hikers going up Lookout Mountain? I enjoy mountain biking that trail because I can ride to it from my house, however, it has been difficult and/or dangerous to get to the trail head since CSM started rebuilding their fields about a year ago. Prior to the construction at the CSM ball fields you could ride or walk through the fields at the end of 12th street and connect to the trail on the north or east side of 6th avenue and the trail led you through a pass under the highway. ... The construction process has blocked off the access and last week I talked with two CSM employees (at least they were wearing CSM shirts) at the entrance to the field to see if they would let me get to the trail. They said no and that the access was permanently shut off. I asked them how to access the trial and they said through the Clear Creek trail and the new pedestrian bridge.
    I tried their suggestion and got through but only by a very steep social trail that was likely originally a deer trail, I am sure it is not the cityís plan. That trial goes almost straight up hill and then follows the concrete canal over to Chimney. I had to walk most of it and would never feel comfortable bringing kids up that trail. In some areas you walk along an 18 inch wide concrete slab that drops straight down one side about 100 feet. I have also ridden down 6th Ave from 19th then under 6th, however, I donít like bringing kids down 6th Ave on a bike, nor do I like riding on a highway myself. The only other option I can think of is to drive down 6th and park on either side, but as I said at the start, I liked the trail because I did not have to drive. I have seen bike tracks, people and talked to people who just go through the ball fields so I know I am not the only person trying to get to this great trail.
    Are there any plans to access the base of the Chimney trail from downtown Golden and if so when?
    Thanks much,
    xxxx
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Hi xxxx -

It will probably remain a mess until the construction is finished, unfortunately. We are trying very hard to figure out a good long-term connection for the new trail but it's complicated and we haven't come up with a good answer yet. I agree with you about the Chimney Gulch - I use it a lot - and will keep working with staff to try to figure something reasonable out. For now, though, I don't think there is a particularly good alternative but to do one of the things you mentioned.

Best,

Jacob

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Toomanytoyz and I saw and talked to Jacob on Chimney once.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]It wouldn't help the tunnel underpass situation, but it would help make a cooler loop (Apex/Chimney) if there was any way to have a singletrack west of (Hiway 93/6th) between the Stonebridge nghbrhd and 19th St! But I think that is CSM and waterboard land. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Sorry for the blog![/SIZE][SIZE=2]

[/SIZE]

Stand back
    Luckily, I live north on 93, and have no issues w/ riding on the hwy. Well, except for going home, when all the idiots try to race to the end of the merge lane...
    So no mention of when construction will be complete?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    I too have been told by construction workers not to cut through the Mines ballfields. When I asked the worker when it would open up he told me "Never!"

I'm wondering how the School of Mines can close this off completely - aren't they a state school? So isn't this land at least part state property? Couldn't they keep the walkway between the fields open for trail access??? I'm not asking this as a rhetorical question (well ok, maybe) but I'm asking because I really don't know.

I agree that a trail connecting Apex to Chimney Gulch on the south side of 6th Ave. would be fantastic. This horseshoe is my favorite ride since I can go from my house...

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Luckily, I live north on 93, and have no issues w/ riding on the hwy. Well, except for going home, when all the idiots try to race to the end of the merge lane...
    So no mention of when construction will be complete?
    When I loop Apex/Chimney, I just ride the highway from 19th to the Chimney lot. I don't mind - there's a huge shoulder.
    Sometimes I used to like to go down through the CSM stuff and go under 93 though, just for a change of pace, and to reminisce about riding that loop before there was any paved bike path down by Stonebridge or by 93.
    Nothing on completion dates. Looks like the fields are mostly done, so I would think soon!

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee
    I too have been told by construction workers not to cut through the Mines ballfields. When I asked the worker when it would open up he told me "Never!"

I'm wondering how the School of Mines can close this off completely - aren't they a state school? So isn't this land at least part state property? Couldn't they keep the walkway between the fields open for trail access??? I'm not asking this as a rhetorical question (well ok, maybe) but I'm asking because I really don't know.

I agree that a trail connecting Apex to Chimney Gulch on the south side of 6th Ave. would be fantastic. This horseshoe is my favorite ride since I can go from my house...
    I think that the construction worker was incorrect. Mayor Smith has made it a priority to improve bicycle transportation in and around Golden, so I doubt that there will be no plan to connect the trails. That said, there's nothing like adding pressure on the powers that be to make sure this doesn't get forgotten about...

R

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I don't know anything about the situation, but...

Quote Originally Posted by djlee
    as much as I respect construction workers, I wouldn't expect them to really know about alternative plans or policy for the future!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

COMBA issue?

This sounds like an issue that C.O.M.B.A. could/should look into.

Thread Terrorist
    MTBR riders,
    DBabuser and I are working on the issue with the City of Golden under the Comba umbrella. Please be patient as we are working on this and other issues regarding mt biking in the Golden area

IE