Pedal damn it!
    Oct 2007

Chance to live in Denver for the summer

My brother lives in Denver and I live in San Diego. He is moving into a house from his condo and I have the summer off from school so should I stay with him? I am getting into competing mountain biking and was planning on registering in February for next season, unless I am going to CO. The only problem is that i would be riding by my self in CO, since I would not know anyone, unless i find someone of my level of riding all-mountain, I heard of crazy bear stories from Colorado and if I am alone i don't want to be destroyed by a bear, wolf, panda, or what ever I encounter. Any suggestions? I would get a small job and have all this time to ride.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm well your from CA so stay there....

Pedal damn it!
    Oct 2007
    WHY?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

not worth moving

Quote Originally Posted by RS4Dreamer
    My brother lives in Denver and I live in San Diego. He is moving into a house from his condo and I have the summer off from school so should I stay with him? I am getting into competing mountain biking and was planning on registering in February for next season, unless I am going to CO. The only problem is that i would be riding by my self in CO, since I would not know anyone, unless i find someone of my level of riding all-mountain, I heard of crazy bear stories from Colorado and if I am alone i don't want to be destroyed by a bear, wolf, panda, or what ever I encounter. Any suggestions? I would get a small job and have all this time to ride.
    Yep, there are some bears to be wary of, but haven't heard of pandas except in the zoo. The wolves are just reestablishing their range in Colorado, and they aren't a problem either. The real problem is mountain lions. Pretty frequently they devour mountain bikers out here, they seem to have figured out that we are easy prey and have learned the rock outcroppings we ride below.

With all the environmentalists in Colorado, most trails are closed to mountain biking, and the ones that are open tend to be very crowded and eroded. The season is real short, it snows all the time out here. July is the only month that Denver has never officially recorded snowfall. That's great if you ride in Denver, but the riding is mostly in the foothills and mountains where there have already been 8 or 10 major snowstorms this year. I would say you should definitely stay in Cali, at least once the smoke clears you have year round biking.

On a positive note, people tend to be real friendly! Once you live here about 5 or 10 years and get a semi-native bumper sticker for your car you will find plenty of people to ride with.

Big Boned
    Don't forget Manbearpig. Colorado is a scary, scary place.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Rolling
    Don't forget, you will have to live with these losing Rockies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Don't forget, you will have to live with these losing Rockies.

They are far from Losers thats for sure.There is nutting wrong with 2nd place. The got to the WS VS my Yankees and now we are going to lose Arod.

BTW The people here dont like people from CA this is what i got to see over the year i have been here.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher

BTW The people here dont like people from CA this is what i got to see over the year i have been here.
    And that I don't understand since 70% of them are from CA.

Funny stuff.

Thank god I'm a proud and pure New Mexican immigrant. You can't hate hate me cuz I come from the land of good green chile.

holding back the darkness
    People are just busting on you. We have a lot of imports here, and with the Denver/Front range population already at critical mass we should close our borders.
    However... You should come out if you have the chance and nothing to lose. There is plenty of riding and people to ride with, esp if you're just out for the summer. All we ask is that you don't go around tearing the place up and play nice with others. The last thing we need is more punks wrecking trails, being rude, and then leaving the rest of us to clean up their mess.
    That being said.. with a trail guidebook, a keen eye to this site, and strategically placed post-ride parking-lot beers you should be fine.
    **** censorship

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    ...All we ask is that you don't go around tearing the place up and play nice with others. The last thing we need is more punks wrecking trails, being rude, and then leaving the rest of us to clean up their mess.
    True dat....

and one mention of shuttling Apex with full body and face, and Dreamer is on the next flight home.

holding back the darkness
    and one mention of shuttling Apex with full body and face, and Dreamer is on the next flight home.
    with both pieces of his frame.....
    **** censorship

skillz to pay billz
    everyone is either from the east coast or the west coast so lay off the california bashing... rarely do you see anyone in full native american dress on the trails although a full buckskin bib might stave off those chilly fall days on a north facing trail... hummmm?

Shattering Glass
    Let's not forget about the southerners.

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    everyone is either from the east coast or the west coast so lay off the california bashing... rarely do you see anyone in full native american dress on the trails although a full buckskin bib might stave off those chilly fall days on a north facing trail... hummmm?

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher
    There is nutting wrong with 2nd place.
    2nd place = 1st LOSER

Just saying............

Thread Terrorist
    At least they were worth watching... otherwise, we don't even show up for Pro Football.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    Let's not forget about the southerners.
    mmm grits, greens and gizzards.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thank god I'm a proud and pure New Mexican immigrant. You can't hate hate me cuz I come from the land of good green chile.
    True on the green chilies. Some good riding down there as well. I really like what I have hit in NM so far, tougher than many CO trails but way less crowded. GPS seems to help there too

To the OP, if you are serious about racing next year, you may be in a better place for training than you would be in denver for real and not just because we all hate on californians here. You will be driving for sure to reach the trails and driving quite a ways to reach anything good. Stuff in the mtns opens up in june depending on the winter.

Pedal damn it!
    Oct 2007
    Thanks guys, I am not a trail basher and I am a very nice guy. Im just 19 so I dont look down on people just a little info. I am not an insane downhiller so I am not a huckdog who runs everything over either. So still contemplating the CO summer. Thanks hahaha. I guess

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You would be fine here riding by yourself. I have been riding here for about two years (mostly front range) and have yet to see a mountain lion or bear. I am usually by myself. They are out here but I don't really worry about them. As for the riding - it's awesome, I love it. There are ample trails for all skill levels. If you are in Denver you can pretty much find a place to ride 10 months out of the year, and since you are coming in the summer you will be good to go. I would recommend CO to anyone.

As for the people that say stay in California, I guarantee you 99% of them are either from California or some other state. So if you come here and they say go back to California just ask them where they are from. They think that since there parents probably moved here from California when they were kids that they are native and they should be the only ones that have the privilege to live in this state.

Also, you will be within a five hour drive of Moab, UT, which you will definitely have to hit up if you come. It doesn't get any better than Moab.