Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

chamois vs softer saddle, thoughts?

I ride a pretty hard saddle making chamois a need more then a preference. Problem is I ride a lot and the chamois get pretty wretched by the 3rd ride so I have to wash them all the time, plus if I want to grab an after ride beer or two, my boys are forced to sweat it out in the amazon for a few hours before I can change (my girl also dosent appreciate a hint of nutsweat in the air before they get washed).

So my question is, could the need for chamios be eliminated by a softer saddle? Not sure if there is a performance related reason for the need for chamios?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by tj.steady
    I ride a pretty hard saddle making chamois a need more then a preference. Problem is I ride a lot and the chamois get pretty wretched by the 3rd ride so I have to wash them all the time, plus if I want to grab an after ride beer or two, my boys are forced to sweat it out in the amazon for a few hours before I can change (my girl also dosent appreciate a hint of nutsweat in the air before they get washed).

So my question is, could the need for chamios be eliminated by a softer saddle? Not sure if there is a performance related reason for the need for chamios?
    Wow! First off TMI [Too much information] try to keep some of that to a minimum and to yourself next time. As far as a chamois vs. a softer seat I say do both. Get a gel seat and use a padded chamois and your boys and girlfriend should be a happier group.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Thread Terrorist
    Chamios are manly there to prevent chaffing, whereas a seat is for cushon.

mtbr member
    Terry Fly... the cutout will keep your boys aired out as well as lighten the load on your soft tissue

Your retarded
    Try washing your riding shorts after every ride to avoid ball stench. That should be a logical choice.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Try washing your riding shorts after every ride to avoid ball stench. That should be a logical choice.
    Along with a daily shower might not be a bad idea. I bet you go through quite a few girlfriends.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

friend of Apex
    I wear spandex underneath my boardshorts for rides, but I'll never admit it in person.

Use the suicide doors on the Tundra for cover (or duck behind a tree) and lose the spandex prior to beers.

Works everytime.

+1 on the laundry idea
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 07-25-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

feel the Force
    Softer saddles don't necessarily mean more comfort. Padding tends to squish where you don't want it to. Get a saddle that provides good support for your sitbones, and no pressure up front. Then utilize a good chamois to give a little cushion, prevent chafing, and wick moisture away. AND wash frequently.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    buy more lycra.

pdh
    mtbr member
    Wash your shorts after every ride. Don't put them in the dryer. Don't sit in them after riding,
    you'll get fungus
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tj.steady

Umm...change before the post ride brews. Wash the clothes upon the return home.

skillz to pay billz
    +1 on doing laundry

mtbr member
    Maybe some of this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inflexable...
    Man, after one ride I don't even want to pick them up let alone put them on again...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You'd better wash those damn things after every ride unless you want some nice jock itch or saddle sores. The chamois is often some form of sponge like material which I'm sure is a great place if you're some form of bacteria with all the heat and moisture. Barf!

The primary function of a chamois is to help alleviate chaffing. There are multiple designs/theories on chamois but generally speaking, in regards to spandex/chamois since that's all I wear, you get what you pay for in terms of longevity and comfort. I wash mine on the handwash setting and hang dry. No need for chamois cream since they're all synthetic.

I ride a hard tail and have gone through a couple bike fits so I'm comfortable with my saddle position and width (an often neglected aspect of saddle choice). I ride a San Marco Aspide which would make most of you sissy all-mountain types cringe but since it fits properlly, I don't have any issues.

Rolling
    Chafe your ass on long rides hard till it forms callouses.

That is the best solution.

mtbr member

Brooks Saddles?

Has anybody tried a Brooks B-17 (or similar) saddle?

Will it save your perineum (a.k.a. 'taint', 'choda') like a 'wedge' saddle? Is it too slick?

Just curious.

I've searched other forums and it sounds like you either love 'em or hate 'em, especially for trail riding.

ride
    Hey tj.steady - a few constructive words, mostly re-emphasizing points already made. I worked for Pearl Izumi for 7 years and learned a lot about takin' care o' your junk.

-definitely wear a chamois. A well made chamois is there to stick to your skin and move with it to prevent chafing. Use a chamois cream also if you need.

-definitely get a few more pair of shorts. It'll be one of the best cycling investments you've ever made. Just like saddles are personal preference and some work better than others, so will chamois. Once you find one you like, stick with it. All chamois are not created equal.

-it's not necessary, but try to get a chamois that has an anti-bacterial treatment. And wash it after every ride. Don't re-use a chamois prior to washing. It's gross, won't function as well, and the thing will get stanky and fester. You don't want that touchin' your junk.

-chamois care - wash on gentle and use a soap with no additives. Also, it's ok to put in the dryer on gentle, too. The low heat helps reset the "heat treating" in the synthetic fibers of your shorts. Just don't fry 'em and you'll be fine. Don't use fabric softener, either. Woolite is bad, too. It will kill lycra.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Human Crayon
    I wear them under my normal shorts as well...they are dual purpose to me: padding & keeping my boys from getting mashed between my arse and the saddle. It has happened once and never again....ever.
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

Ride Everything
    Condition your nether regions with one of these:
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Whether you wear a chamois in lycra or baggies, or wear a chamois at all, you definitely need to wash your shorts after every ride, and since you ride often, you need to buy more shorts to have on hand to rotate between rides/washes.

As mentioned in the thread, air dry your shorts after washing. The dry Front Range air, especially these days of hot, lets your shorts dry in no time especially as the fabric they're made of is designed to wick and evaporate moisture fast.

Try to make it a part of your get-home ritual to just get your clothes, socks, gloves, etc., into the wash as soon as you walk in the door.

Front Range, Colorado

There may be a FUNGUSAMONGGUS!!!!

Ringworm
    We are not alone.

Every day, people around the world, from every walk of life, experience visitations by alien life forms. These silent invaders use our skin as landing sites, burrowing and spreading, as if they were exploring some strange new world. The only evidence of their arrival: a red, scaly, O-shaped lesion, like the rings of Saturn.

Those lesions are the telltale signs of ringworm--which is not a worm but a group of fungi identical to the kinds that cause athlete's foot and jock itch. Invading the warm, moist areas of the groin, trunk, extremities and scalp, the fungi multiply to form a pronounced red ring or an itchy, eczema-like patch.

Ringworm is highly contagious. If your skin comes in contact with the fungi anywhere, parts of your hide may begin to display the telltale circular design. Bathrooms, gym lockers, theater seats, combs, pets and unwashed clothing have all served as launching pads for a nasty bout with ringworm.

Severe cases, specifically those of the scalp, can be treated only with prescribed oral antibiotics. But with milder cases, you have more down-to-earth weapons at your disposal to fight off this invasion of the body splotchers.

Cream it with an antifungal. "You can stop most ringworm infections of the trunk, groin or extremities with an over-the-counter antifungal cream," says Jack L. Lesher, Jr., M.D., associate professor of dermatology at the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta. "Go with a cream that contains an -azole product as its active ingredient. Clotrimazoles (Lotrimin AF, Mycelex) and miconazoles (Micatin, Monistat) do a great job of controlling ringworm fungi quickly."

"You may also see good results with a product containing a tolnaftate, such as Tinactin or Aftate," says dermatologist Joseph Bark, M.D., past chairman of the Department of Dermatology at St. Joseph's Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky. "These will cool down a ringworm infection, reduce the itching and limit the spread. They're more effective on smaller patches than on large ones."

For directions for application, check the package. You will need to apply any medication twice a day for about two weeks after the ring disappears to take care of any stubborn fungi that may be hiding.
    Quote:From the Rodale book, The Doctors Book of Home Remedies II
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

holding back the darkness
    Ok.... So this type of thread has popped up a couple time lately. Where in god's name are people getting the notion that it would be ok to NOT wash their shorts between use? I mean that with no intended disrespect to the OP, but I am getting legitimately curious now. I really can't think of any other garment that I'd be okay with recycling after several hours of direct contact with sweaty ass on a regular basis.
    Can there really be a question here? Direct contact. Sweaty ass. Several hours.

Chamois is a super-important piece of riding gear (think helmet, gloves, shoes..) that is often over-looked or trivialized. To the contrary, a high-quality chamois in good condition (read: clean) can make a significant difference in comfort; which translates into decreased perception of fatigue, increased perception of fun, and cuts way back on the fumunda cheese.
    **** censorship

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Front Range, Colorado
    Damn, looks like Marvin beat me to my invention.
    A Diaper Epic
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-27-2008 at 02:47 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast