Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chalk Creek

mtbr member

Chalk Creek

Who's racing in Nathrop tomorrow?

Anyone on the forum do the short track today? What are the conditions like, after all this rain?

thanks

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Raced in the Super D today, totally sweet! Lots of sand in the dirt up there so not to muddy, dirt was magic! Got spanked by all of the Pro women

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo
    Raced in the Super D today, totally sweet! Lots of sand in the dirt up there so not to muddy, dirt was magic! Got spanked by all of the Pro women
    Thanks! From the looks of the weather forecast, it should be a great day of racing tomorrow (unless you're cat 3 and have to start about an hour before dawn!)

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Good luck tomorrow! This was my first MSC race, is it just me or is this big time race series?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good luck tomorrow! This was my first MSC race, is it just me or is this big time race series?
    MSC is about as good a regional race series as any in the country.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Did my first D/S race yesterday at Chalk Creek.
    I hope the other MSC races are run better than this event.
    Starts were delayed 3 hours, guy ranting over the speaker, thought it was very unprofessional.
    Personally, I'll never go back to that venue again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not a Super D event in my opinion - trail was lame and poorly built. Basically no technical aspects to the course - mainly an endurance event.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by 26'er
    Did my first D/S race yesterday at Chalk Creek.
    I hope the other MSC races are run better than this event.
    Starts were delayed 3 hours, guy ranting over the speaker, thought it was very unprofessional.
    Personally, I'll never go back to that venue again.
    I agree with the guy on the loudspeaker, I didn't need to be reminded about SuperD start once every 10 minutes for at least 2 hours straight. It is better when Mike Kreger takes the mic (he was there Sunday). He knows the racers, teams and always has something funny to say so he's not just repeating the same message over and over. Anyway, I was asking some of the MSC folks what the he!l happened with the delay. 2 things:

1. They usually only qualify down one side of the DS course. They figured letting people qualify on both would be cool because it meant more riding for your racing $$, which I did like because that track is fun. But that took longer than expected.

2nd thing, some one accidentally crossed into the wrong lane at the finish line and it wasn't noticed at first. That set off a long string of mistakes in timing.

That doesn't usually happen, timing company is typically pretty good. Except at Snowmass 2007, anyone remember that? But that was a different timing company.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Glad to hear Mike is back, he is great on the mic.
    What happened to CJ timing? They were great last year.

Living the High Life
    Glad to hear Mike is back, he is great on the mic.
    What happened to CJ timing? They were great last year.
    It still is CJ timing and they usually are good. There was just some kind of mix up with the lane from one rider. I don't know all the details.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Awesomist™
    Yo guys, thanks for coming down to the Ranch for racing... As one of the "hosts" of the event (I race with the RPM crew) I'd like to just throw a rebuttal in there to a couple of points that were brought up:

1. The timing delays for the Cat 2/3 dual slalom were unfortunate, things like this do happen from time to time. Sorry it happened to sour your opinion of our venue, 26'er, that's certainly not what we want. You said "you'll never come back" but I hope you also understand that timing SNAFU's can happen ANYWHERE there is timing, in any event. Westy and the Mav Sports crew do their best to keep things running smoothly, and always have the customer (that's you guys) in mind when they time an event. In contrast, timing for the Pro/Cat 1 dual slalom went off without a hitch, like I said sometimes glitches happen and they need sorted out.

2. Cheese i.e. "The guy on the mic" does a great job for the series in my opinion... he may not know all the racers names, get repetitive, and such like that—but he's good at keeping everyone at the race informed of what's going on i.e. announcing when ALL of the events are starting, where ALL of the racers need to be, etc. Ithnu I understand YOU don't need to hear about Super-D start every 10 minutes for an hour, but the Super-D competitors just might! DS and 4X aren't the only disciplines being raced, you know. He also does a good job of promoting the sponsors and race partners, which maybe we don't always like to hear but the sponsors sure do when their at the events! The one area I would like to see Cheese improve at would be NOT calling a 5-alarm fire every time someone crashes, it causes too much panic and chaos IMO, and needs to be toned down.

3. Super-D: it is what it is. As part of the Triple Crown it most certainly WAS an endurance-oriented event, as the Triple Crown is just that. In addition, all of our tracks are built on private land, and it IS a working cattle ranch. The landowners are gracious enough to let us have events there, but we still have to abide by their wishes when it comes to building trails, etc. As such, we had to use existing trail (i.e. basically running the XC backwards) to accomodate for the Super-D, which had to be included in the event as part of the Triple Crown.

Again, thanks to everyone for coming down, it was a blast! We're super-stoked on the new 4X qualifying format, heaps more
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Stand back
    Oh hellz yeah, heaps more!

Heaps more what?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My comment about the guy ranting on the mic was referring to his speech about the pump track "respect the pump track, treat it like your own, don't listen to me, I've only been doing this for 30 years, hey respect the pump track" which was repeated about 20 times.
    I looked at the pump track and it was a bunch of kids riding. I could not understand how he wanted it respected. If he did not want kids on it, they should have closed it off.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Oh hellz yeah, heaps more!

Heaps more what?
    Sorry, heaps more riding with the new quali format, which is 3 head-to-head race runs instead of one single timed run. D'oh! Anyways, the new format is awesome... so much fun racing other people for qualifying rather than watching everyone do a single run by themselves. Apparently, there's a similar format for dual slalom in the works that could be experimented with, although it boggles my brain on how it would work...

My comment about the guy ranting on the mic was referring to his speech about the pump track "respect the pump track, treat it like your own, don't listen to me, I've only been doing this for 30 years, hey respect the pump track" which was repeated about 20 times.

I looked at the pump track and it was a bunch of kids riding. I could not understand how he wanted it respected. If he did not want kids on it, they should have closed it off.
    Heh. Yeah, Cheese has a certain way about him... he is from SoCal. Although his language may have been obtuse, I feel he brings up a strong point: respect the venue and play nice with others. Pretty simple really, not that he (or we) didn't want people to ride it, but as many kids that were over there things could have easily gotten out of hand. A little nudge to the kids riding it to be safe, wear their helmets, and try not to tear it up (i.e. "treat it like your own") I feel is valid. We closed the stuff we DIDN'T want people on (the dirt jumps) and kept the stuff open that we felt was safe and could be fairly easily managed without much supervision: i.e. the pumptrack.

Your comments are definitely appreciated though, and like I said in my post before, I'm sorry your experience was sullied by these things, hopefully we'll see you back at some point regardless.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    When will results be posted?

Awesomist™

Looks like later this evening...

When will results be posted?
    http://www.racemsc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1575

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker
    Chalk Creek was my first experience with a MSC race, and if I could offer one comment, that would be to stick to the schedule better. The XC races went off on time (BIG plus!), but the awards ceremony (at least for the Cat 2) was almost 1.5 hours after the scheduled time. It's not like the results weren't tabulated, they just didn't do the ceremony on time. It didn't help that I didn't realize that the prizes were nothing more than a cheap medallion. I imagined there'd be some sort of swag, so I stuck around 'cause you never know if you're going to get something useful. Oh, well, one small glitch in an otherwise really, really nice day of racing.

Living the High Life
    What do you all of you want, a massage afterward with a happy ending included with each entry fee?

So let's change this to a happy ending...what did you LIKE about the event? I liked the DS course, the new 4X looked like more riding than the old version, watching the short track pros go by our pit was cool, they were damn near drifting one of the corners, the camping across the street is convenient and the Collegiate 14ers as a back drop to the venue are amazing.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge
    Chalk Creek was my first experience with a MSC race, and if I could offer one comment, that would be to stick to the schedule better. The XC races went off on time (BIG plus!), but the awards ceremony (at least for the Cat 2) was almost 1.5 hours after the scheduled time. It's not like the results weren't tabulated, they just didn't do the ceremony on time. It didn't help that I didn't realize that the prizes were nothing more than a cheap medallion. I imagined there'd be some sort of swag, so I stuck around 'cause you never know if you're going to get something useful. Oh, well, one small glitch in an otherwise really, really nice day of racing.
    Good feedback, and it's appreciated and heard loud and clear. I've no explanation, reasons, or excuses for the delay on the awards, sorry to hear that. I'll pass it along to the MSC staff (who actually ran the event, our team were the "hosts" like I said—all of our kids were out there racing as well!) and hopefully it'll get dialed for future events.

As for awards vs. shwag, I believe the MSC handles shwag give-aways with a raffle, rather than awarding items as prizes, giving more folks (not just the winners) chances to go home with something useful. I'm also sorry to hear you feel the awards are just "cheap medallions"—they're really anything but, and I've always thought they were much more well-received than other awards the MSC has done in the past i.e. plaques or trophies or what have you. Goes to show, you'll never please all the people all the time I suppose...

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    A massage would be great, good idea Ithnu.
    I believe everyone wants a good speaker on the mic, a race that is kept to a schedule, and a competent timing company.
    Metals and such are icing on the cake.

mtbr member
    The SD course was great, yes probable not burly enough for some but the U14 Durango boys and girls rocked it! As a parent it was nice to not worry to much about burlyness -vs- young riders just getting their feet wet.

I havent heard a complaint yet about the XC course and probable won't. I really enjoyed the suicide duck and cover branch on the return after the turn from the road climb.

Great weekend- nice work MSC guys and gals.

Sorry Full Trucker I just had to steal your signature!!
    Leverick

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was...........

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    I was there, and as usual it was a great MSC event. The new 4X format is great, we ended up with a lot more racing, and less standing around.

I also raced the Super D, and a lot of people complained about the course, but the description Keith gave us beforehand was pretty much spot on- so we knew what we were getting into. Something like the Angel Fire Super D just isn't possible in Nathrop. Also, variability in the SD courses keeps it from becoming a super specialized sport, like XC and DH. It's nice to have a class to race where the winner might be an XC hardtail rider, or somebody on a big travel bike.

One thing I would have liked to see more of was open practice. The Cat 2/3 4X course was only open for practice on Friday (until the weather closed it), and then again for a short bit Sunday morning. The Pro/Cat 1 4X course could have been open much more as well.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Props to all the new teams out there.
    Green mountain sports, pedal pushers, team geronimo, neverrest racing, team aloha.....
    RPM is going to have to do some real racing to compete.

Awesomist™
    RPM is going to have to do some real racing to compete.
    Ouch...

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just a fair warning...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast