STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010

Chain jumping in low gears...WTF??

Might be a dumb question but I'm not sure what the heck is wrong. New chain,new cassette, new shift cables, new sprockets. On a 9er air 9 hard tail, it seams like the chain is jumping on the rear cassette when I am in a low gear (small sprocket on the rear) really cranking on it. Only when I am really cranking on a fast up hill or flat? Almost thinking the cassette is jumping on the hub?????

Custom User Title
    It could be the B screw on the derailer or the free hub pawls. It could just be a loose free hub. did you use a power link in the chain or press pin?
    Team MOJO Wheels.

feel the Force
    Check the hanger alignment too.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

Big Boned
    Sticky link? Pedal backwards slowly with the bike in the stand and see if it snags the derailleur pulleys. Also make sure the cassette is seated right on the freehub and the lockring is tightened all the way.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd agree with mtbjedi. Sounds like an alignment problem.

I had a similar problem with a road bike, but in reverse...I'd be climbing a tough hill and it would shift to a higher gear...ugh.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Is it a $hitmano chain? That could be the cause...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo
    Might be a dumb question but I'm not sure what the heck is wrong. New chain,new cassette, new shift cables, new sprockets. On a 9er air 9 hard tail, it seams like the chain is jumping on the rear cassette when I am in a low gear (small sprocket on the rear) really cranking on it. Only when I am really cranking on a fast up hill or flat? Almost thinking the cassette is jumping on the hub?????
    My first thought is the derailleur hanger but...

...if you're riding in the small chain ring and a smaller gear on the cassette you probably have too much slack in the chain for your derailleur cage to handle. I run into this often in cross with short cage road equipment. Perhaps your chain is too long or if everything is fine, you need to go to a bigger ring up front.

Damn frustrating though isn't it.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the ideas, going to check all that was mentioned. Its all SRAM with a long cage derailleur, I noticed that the lower pulley was tweaked a bit. hope that was it. Also makes sense that I may not have the chain tight enough, I was messing with that screw on the back of the derailleur that adjusts that. Any tips on where that should be? The manual says get the small sprocket on the derailleur 1/4 inch from the cassettes sprockets? I can only get it that way with the big gear on the cassette...thanks again