Thread: Centennial Park

mtbr member

Centennial Park

Has anyone ridden at Centennial Cone Pk. Thinking about heading down there on sat. since it is a even day and all...

mtbr member
    Just did it Monday night... there are maps at the trail head. The trail is pretty cool, very smooth as it is so new, with rolling climbs and descents. There is a loop, but do not know if it has been completed (under construction) yet. We started around 6:30p. and only made it half way due to light. There was a mtb club up there that night, and no one from their club had done the whole loop yet. It was fun though, want to get back there to do the whole loop (12.5 miles, I guess.)
    Heres a link for the map too:
    http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/opensp...ce_T56_R95.htm
    Ok, so maybe it is an addiction.
    The Dire Riders Consortium

Now Uploading
    Ride it counter-clockwise. Designed as a moderate rolling climb/fast rollercoaster with blind curves on steep dropoffs, so watch out for pedestrians on multi-use days. It's a 13 mile loop. Stay on the trail (doubletrack at that point) through the private property, it's well signed as the trail. Can ride from either Douglas Mountain or Robinson Hill Road trailheads, although seems to flow better if riding from the Douglas Mountain trailhead counter-clockwise. Ride clockwise from the other trailhead if you prefer riding down the few rocks and climbing up switchbacks.

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

mtbr member
    Is this trail worth it?? I love having to wait for the "even" day, what a great idea. Sorry for the rant but I hate the thought of alternating weekends, we already have too many people in the world today trying to add rules where they don't always belong.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Sure the trail is worth it! Nothing technical at all, but hey 12-15 mi. of fun rolling single track, (ok dbl. in some places). I love the idea of odd/even days. I only wish they had a "one way" loop. I would hate to meet someone on some places of that trail. and yes, counter clockwise.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    Is this trail worth it?? I love having to wait for the "even" day, what a great idea. Sorry for the rant but I hate the thought of alternating weekends, we already have too many people in the world today trying to add rules where they don't always belong.
    As one of your Open Space Trail Use Task force committee biker group representatives, here's my take on this park and the alternating schedule, then I'll answer your question.

I did not and do not endorse the alternating weekend schedule. I don't endorse any schedule that bans us from riding in a park which we pay for with our tax dollars. That schedule is the source of much frustration, aggrivation and assertiveness by Open Space management. They want to "try different things". At our expense it looks like in this case. We did not endorse that schedule. They took the words of two previous Task Force reps before me to out of context, and redefined them. Open Space says "Trail users have endorsed options to reduce conflict in new and developing Open Space parks". Their words, not ours. Sure we want to communicate, listen and have input on new ideas and concepts, but we do (mountain bikers in general) feel that they again (Reynolds Park) put the cart before the horse again and solved a problem that didn't exist. Yes, a lot of "elitest attitude" hikers "whine" more frequently to Open Space about their experience, and what their experience should be in their opinions, and frequently while "whining" they often see it all as very personal, and not in any multi-use context.

So if you don't like the alternating schedule, come to the public OSAC meeting each month and tell the Open Space Advisory Committe how you all feel in front of the Open Space staff. Or send the staff and the advisory committee members letters, or assist me and the others with our possitions and presentations. Volenteers are hard to find it seems when they have to do any work or attend any meetings. Don't whine if you are not involved and don't want to do anything about it. The few of us working on this, have busted out butts to try to avoid any more closures or bans to mountain bikes in Open Space parks, another reason why so many of my Monday nights are tied up in Ad-Hoc meetings in the open Space building trying to reach a consensus recommendation on North Table Mountain for Open Space staff.

Are we happy with the use schedule at Centenial Cone? Hell no. Should we boycot the park and let the hikers overrun it? You can, I'll ride it while we keep trying to reverse that silly use concept that had no public unput involved. And while we keep working on lifting the baseless ban from Reynolds, and keep trying to avoid bike bans on NTM. And keep those ban concepts from spreading to other existing Open Space parks.

Interaction is not conflict. In fact you cannot have conflict without interaction. So if you have something to say about how your tax dollars allow you access and use of your Open Space parks, get involved and say so. Pissin' in the wind never helped, but I've heared a lot of it over the years, and not just from the hikers.

The next OSAC meeting is Thursday night at 7:00pm in the Open Space building.

So, is Centenial Cone worth it? You tell me. And hopefully you will tell Open Space how you feel about all this too. Remember to check the attitudes at the door, and bring some facts, collective criticism, suggestions, solutions and actual user feedback, not your venting and frustration. Contact me, any of your other reps or your favorite advocacy group if you want to help. I'm supposed to bring the thoughts and feedback of our park user group to Open Space so they will take us seriously, as seriously as the other park user groups. Whining doesn't cut it. Do something about it.

Cheers,

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulbiker
    Sure the trail is worth it! Nothing technical at all, but hey 12-15 mi. of fun rolling single track, (ok dbl. in some places). I love the idea of odd/even days. I only wish they had a "one way" loop. I would hate to meet someone on some places of that trail. and yes, counter clockwise.
    Thanks for the reply, I may need to go check it out. I still don't like the altering days as in the past all I have seen is the closer of trails soon after the desision to alter days per user group.
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    So if you don't like the alternating schedule, come to the public OSAC meeting each month and tell the Open Space Advisory Committe how you all feel in front of the Open Space staff. Or send the staff and the advisory committee members letters, or assist me and the others with our possitions and presentations. Volenteers are hard to find it seems when they have to do any work or attend any meetings. Don't whine if you are not involved and don't want to do anything about it. The few of us working on this, have busted out butts to try to avoid any more closures or bans to mountain bikes in Open Space parks, another reason why so many of my Monday nights are tied up in Ad-Hoc meetings in the open Space building trying to reach a consensus recommendation on North Table Mountain for Open Space staff.

Are we happy with the use schedule at Centenial Cone? Hell no. Should we boycot the park and let the hikers overrun it? You can, I'll ride it while we keep trying to reverse that silly use concept that had no public unput involved. And while we keep working on lifting the baseless ban from Reynolds, and keep trying to avoid bike bans on NTM. And keep those ban concepts from spreading to other existing Open Space parks.

Interaction is not conflict. In fact you cannot have conflict without interaction. So if you have something to say about how your tax dollars allow you access and use of your Open Space parks, get involved and say so. Pissin' in the wind never helped, but I've heared a lot of it over the years, and not just from the hikers.

The next OSAC meeting is Thursday night at 7:00pm in the Open Space building.

So, is Centenial Cone worth it? You tell me. And hopefully you will tell Open Space how you feel about all this too. Remember to check the attitudes at the door, and bring some facts, collective criticism, suggestions, solutions and actual user feedback, not your venting and frustration. Contact me, any of your other reps or your favorite advocacy group if you want to help. I'm supposed to bring the thoughts and feedback of our park user group to Open Space so they will take us seriously, as seriously as the other park user groups. Whining doesn't cut it. Do something about it.

Cheers,

Dave
    Dave,
    I was with you right up until you make it sound as if I am not involved. You know that I am but sometimes I cannot deal with every single meeting out there. I am active as a volunteer (many miles west and north of Denver) but I am also not going to go to every single meeting and forget to ride to better my lifestyle as well. I am not just whining (all I asked was is it worth it. And I also did make it clear I don't like the altering days. I never once pointed a finger about you having anything to do with that desision on altering days.), but hey, if you want to point fingers how many trail days have you volunteered for this year Dave?? I understand you try to be an active rep. for biking (thanks) but you also gotta get your hands dirty too. Also, please note that just because I may not be at the same meetings as you that doesn't mean I am not elsewhere fighting for the same cause. I am doing something about it...you should lay off some of that coffee you speak of in other threads, I think you may be a little to pumped up on this. Soulbiker gave me great imput in like three sentences.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    Dave,
    I was with you right up until you make it sound as if I am not involved. You know that I am but sometimes I cannot deal with every single meeting out there. I am active as a volunteer (many miles west and north of Denver) but I am also not going to go to every single meeting and forget to ride to better my lifestyle as well. I am not just whining (all I asked was is it worth it. And I also did make it clear I don't like the altering days. I never once pointed a finger about you having anything to do with that desision on altering days.), but hey, if you want to point fingers how many trail days have you volunteered for this year Dave?? I understand you try to be an active rep. for biking (thanks) but you also gotta get your hands dirty too. Also, please note that just because I may not be at the same meetings as you that doesn't mean I am not elsewhere fighting for the same cause. I am doing something about it...you should lay off some of that coffee you speak of in other threads, I think you may be a little to pumped up on this. Soulbiker gave me great imput in like three sentences.
    Nothing was aimed at you Cole. A lot of people don't get involved, either by choice, or other obligations. Was a general response, no jab at you. I know you are busy with things elsewhere for no lesser a cause.

I'm in about 120+ meetings with Open Space, OSAC, some commitees or advocacy group meetings a year, and I shoot bike races nearly every weekend. If you want to attend some of those meetings for me and work with those people and make the presentations, I'd love to be out on the trail on some trail days. I spent two hours raking a BMX track last time out there so we could run the race on time. I'm spread a little thin on my volenteer time for taking on any extra projects, but I have the time and motivation to follow though with what I am already involved in which is 2-3 things most weeks now.

Cheers,

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Nothing was aimed at you Cole. A lot of people don't get involved, either by choice, or other obligations. Was a general response, no jab at you. I know you are busy with things elsewhere for no lesser a cause.

I'm in about 120+ meetings with Open Space, OSAC, some commitees or advocacy group meetings a year, and I shoot bike races nearly every weekend. If you want to attend some of those meetings for me and work with those people and make the presentations, I'd love to be out on the trail on some trail days. I spent two hours raking a BMX track last time out there so we could run the race on time. I'm spread a little thin on my volenteer time for taking on any extra projects, but I have the time and motivation to follow though with what I am already involved in which is 2-3 things most weeks now.

Cheers,

Dave
    Well thanks for clarifying Dave. It just sounded like a shot at me and I am not in a passive mood today. You do a nice job of representing us.
    Cheers,
    miSSionary

Members who have read this thread: 0