Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Centennial Cone

mtbr member

Centennial Cone

Friends and I got out of the bubble, headed south of Boulder, and rode Centennial Cone for the first time saturday. Was hesitant at first after seeing a ranger lurking in the parking lot. Rode it in a big clockwise loop after consulting another rider at the trailhead (N side). Found it was technically easy, but at faster speeds became quite fun- lot's of flowy high speed singletrack . Nice and scenic and long enough for a good workout too. Also found the trail etiquette was on average a level above what I'm accustomed to in Bldr County-ie Hall, Walker, Heil-not that I ride those very much anymore, but good job Jeffco riders. Way to be nice.

So here's my beef, if this trail is closed on certain days to mtn biking, why is it not also a 1-way trail like Betasso. Constantly having to stop and yeild started to become a bit of a buzzkill on the ride stoke. Doesn't really matter to me which way the direction is since elevation gain/loss is the same if you're riding a loop. Having Centennial be a 1-way trail would dramatically decrease rider conflicts, and also increase ride fun for everyone. Does anyone have a valid reason for not asking Jeffco to make it a 1-way trail?

skillz to pay billz
    because you then could not do an 'out and back' which avoids the boring jeep road. booyah! send me a prize

Go hard or go home
    I'm sorry to be a moron, but where is Centennial Cone? I have heard of this, and knew of the trail restrictions, but don't really know where it is...

To answer your question, I think that yes, if it were directional, that would remove some of the hassle - I know that there are rides in Fruita that are 'unwrittenly directional' (my term) and that keeps everybody flowing nicely...

Endo-free since July '08

W of Golden

It's west of Golden, and there are two trailheads you can start at. I prefer the S trailhead, since you have more options including a little warmup loop to do early in the ride. Here's the link to the JCOS site:

http://co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/...ce_T56_R95.htm

Check it out...it's a lot of fun and I prefer riding the loop counter-clockwise. Or out-and-back it, skipping the road west of the North trailhead for something like 20+ miles. Good switchbacks which are steep at times and a few dinky little technical sections, but smooth fun and flowing for the most part.

A
    Just keep spinning.

Go hard or go home
    Groovy...thanks for the info!

rubber side down
    "Having Centennial be a 1-way trail would dramatically decrease rider conflicts, and also increase ride fun for everyone. Does anyone have a valid reason for not asking Jeffco to make it a 1-way trail?"

yeah. that's what we need, more restrictions. It's already alternating use on weekends...all we need is for Jeffco to interpret a 1-way request as "mountain bikers like trail restrictions" statement. My $.02 (which don't mean squat) is to keep it the way it is, but that's just 1 man's opinion.

R

mtbr member
    I'm not much for restrictions, rules, or regulations which is why I seldomly ever ride Open Space trails. The out n back is a valid point, but geez there's already plenty of those options. This ride is a solid loop though, why drive there for an out n back???

But really, wouldn't you rather just go rail singletrack start to finish over stopping a gazillian times to yeild and play nice-which is really mandatory at Centennial Cone. Not baggin on your opinion Russman, everyone is entitled... Guess I'll stick to my stashes if that's the consensus on this ride.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by rky_mtn_srfr
    But really, wouldn't you rather just go rail singletrack start to finish...
    hence the out and back, plus you get a longer ride

mtbr member
    and this is where we differ. For me, 'railing' doesn't involve stopping, putting foot down, and yeilding, which is what happens way to much on this trail or any out n back for that matter.

rubber side down
    I'm not much for restrictions, rules, or regulations which is why I seldomly ever ride Open Space trails. The out n back is a valid point, but geez there's already plenty of those options. This ride is a solid loop though, why drive there for an out n back???

But really, wouldn't you rather just go rail singletrack start to finish over stopping a gazillian times to yeild and play nice-which is really mandatory at Centennial Cone. Not baggin on your opinion Russman, everyone is entitled... Guess I'll stick to my stashes if that's the consensus on this ride.
    If I had stashes to ride (PM me if you'd like to share one or 4 ) my opinion might change, but my bread and butter are Open Space parks. I've ridden CC a half dozen times, and never had to yield more than a half dozen times (I'm a very respectful rider, btw). Thing is, if they put more restrictions on CC, then they'll put some on Apex, or Chimney...then Falcon, and on and on...it's just how government works down here. Jeffco just needs to be pressured to build more trails. The biggest reason for trail conflict is that they are too crowded with mtber's, hikers, equestrians, etc... It's a trail per user issue.

Cheers.

R

mtbr member

Here's the Solution

Build more loop trails out there to break the people up. Make it the next Buff Creek. They've got the room. That way we have more mileage and options without the restrictions.

I rode out there about a month ago and the traffic and blind corners were a bit irritating to say the least. I thought then maybe they should make this directional, thought again and realized that they just need to make some monster loops. Who's with me? Is there any reason they couldn't do this?
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

skillz to pay billz
    you cant rail singletrack start to finish at CC without hitting some jeep road homie

Big Boned
    The Elk Trail (the jeep road section) closes for elk calving season, leaving only the singletrack open during the first part of the season. There can be no one-way designation during those early months, unless you made riders take the dirt roads (Douglas Mtn. and Camino Perdido) to complete the loops. Plus, if you don't go out there on a weekend when it's packed, or if you ride early, you can ride it without interruption. Traffic conflicts are really only an issue if you let them be an issue for you.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    you cant rail singletrack start to finish at CC without hitting some jeep road homie
    Sure you can -- just ride the out-and-back, which is the way it was undoubtedly meant to be, anyway.

skillz to pay billz
    that's what I'm saying

But really, wouldn't you rather just go rail singletrack start to finish...

Big Boned
    This ride is a solid loop though, why drive there for an out n back???
    Because the out and back is 18 miles, 3000 feet of climbing/descending, all "singletrack" (it's kinda wide, actually.) The loop involves the jeep road section, which is alright, but not nearly as much fun as riding the "singletrack." And because the terrain climbs, descends, climbs, and descends again, it's actually a really good out-and-back -- not like other trails that are all climbing and then all descending. When I ride there, I do -- south parking lot to north, and back again, including the Juniper / Mayhem spur loop. Makes for a good 3+ hour jaunt. Best ridden on a weekday morning when there's no one there.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    that's what I'm saying

Guess we're going to have to agree to agree, then. I much prefer that route. I can ride jeep road anytime.

skillz to pay billz
    I agree to agree

mtbr member
    Noob and MMD, I don't think you're really getting my point, and that's ok. Just thought I'd throw an idea out there for potential improvement. Good thinking SPT, more trails is always better. This was my first and prbly my last ride at CC (it's like driving a porsche with a governor installed)... have plenty of better options with no issues or governors installed.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    Plus, if you don't go out there on a weekend when it's packed, or if you ride early, you can ride it without interruption.
    +3.14

I always hit it up ealry weekdays & I may have seen less than a dozen riders in a dozen rides all summer.

Out 'n' back from the gulch....always

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I'd like this trail to be multi-use all the time and without restriction to direction of travel. I don't mind running into hikers and bikers. What I want is choice... I don't think they need to do an alternating schedule, because that limits my ability to ride when I want. I'm selfish... it's all about me!

Big Boned
    Well, the only really important point I made, and by "really important" I mean -- not really important at all -- is that it would be impossible to impose a one-way regulation on CC due to the Elk Trail seasonal closure, which is entirely dependent on the whims of the elk. This season it didn't open until late June. So if the trail was one-way, that would have meant a good 3 months of the season when all riders, hikers and horses would have been forced out onto the dirt roads to finish the loop. And that doesn't sound like much fun.

But really, I think CC is a kind of fun, but kind of vanilla trail. I prefer more techincal stuff, personally. It's fun to ride really fast, and for that reason it makes a good test of peak fitness for recovering-roadie-geeks like me. I did ride it quite a bit early this season, just to get my legs back, and because my work had me driving past the area quite a bit in March and April. But I wouldn't be hitting it every weekend or anything -- it would get pretty boring.

I did hear rumors that they may build more trail in the park, possibly up the Cone itself. Here's hoping they leave some of the big rocks in place to make things more interesting. As it is, it's so wide and flat, you half expect to pass an exit ramp with a Conoco/Subway and a Starbucks.

Noob and MMD, I don't think you're really getting my point, and that's ok. Just thought I'd throw an idea out there for potential improvement. Good thinking SPT, more trails is always better. This was my first and prbly my last ride at CC (it's like driving a porsche with a governor installed)... have plenty of better options with no issues or governors installed.

skillz to pay billz
    Its not that I don' get the point rky, I, like some others, just don't like regulation and don't think the jeep road is that interesting. Out and back keeps you on the goods for longer and mixes it up a little.

good to open a dialog but hopefully jeffco rangers aren't listening in

Stand back
    Bah, you guys complain about the jeep road too much, IMO. It's short. For those of us who don't have the option of riding while everyone else is working, CC is way too crowded. I'm pretty sure in one ride there, I passed more people than on any other trail I've ridden in the front range on any single ride. It's a fun trail (and one my wife enjoys, which is a big plus) but I too thought about the benefits of it possibly being one direction. And no, I don't think that would indicate to anyone that mtbrs enjoy restrictions in general. Non-mtbrs aren't necessarily all morons...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ This is right on. On the weekends (not everyone is cool enough to ride it during the week), CC is way too crowded. There isn't one "better" direction, so there's an equal number going clockwise and counter-CW... which means you have to stop for other riders way too much. If you do it as an out-and-back, it just means you have to stop for even more riders.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast