Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centennial Cone

mtbr member

Centennial Cone

Friends and I got out of the bubble, headed south of Boulder, and rode Centennial Cone for the first time saturday. Was hesitant at first after seeing a ranger lurking in the parking lot. Rode it in a big clockwise loop after consulting another rider at the trailhead (N side). Found it was technically easy, but at faster speeds became quite fun- lot's of flowy high speed singletrack . Nice and scenic and long enough for a good workout too. Also found the trail etiquette was on average a level above what I'm accustomed to in Bldr County-ie Hall, Walker, Heil-not that I ride those very much anymore, but good job Jeffco riders. Way to be nice.

So here's my beef, if this trail is closed on certain days to mtn biking, why is it not also a 1-way trail like Betasso. Constantly having to stop and yeild started to become a bit of a buzzkill on the ride stoke. Doesn't really matter to me which way the direction is since elevation gain/loss is the same if you're riding a loop. Having Centennial be a 1-way trail would dramatically decrease rider conflicts, and also increase ride fun for everyone. Does anyone have a valid reason for not asking Jeffco to make it a 1-way trail?

skillz to pay billz
    because you then could not do an 'out and back' which avoids the boring jeep road. booyah! send me a prize

Go hard or go home
    I'm sorry to be a moron, but where is Centennial Cone? I have heard of this, and knew of the trail restrictions, but don't really know where it is...

To answer your question, I think that yes, if it were directional, that would remove some of the hassle - I know that there are rides in Fruita that are 'unwrittenly directional' (my term) and that keeps everybody flowing nicely...

Endo-free since July '08

W of Golden

It's west of Golden, and there are two trailheads you can start at. I prefer the S trailhead, since you have more options including a little warmup loop to do early in the ride. Here's the link to the JCOS site:

http://co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/...ce_T56_R95.htm

Check it out...it's a lot of fun and I prefer riding the loop counter-clockwise. Or out-and-back it, skipping the road west of the North trailhead for something like 20+ miles. Good switchbacks which are steep at times and a few dinky little technical sections, but smooth fun and flowing for the most part.

A
    Just keep spinning.

Go hard or go home
    Groovy...thanks for the info!

rubber side down
    "Having Centennial be a 1-way trail would dramatically decrease rider conflicts, and also increase ride fun for everyone. Does anyone have a valid reason for not asking Jeffco to make it a 1-way trail?"

yeah. that's what we need, more restrictions. It's already alternating use on weekends...all we need is for Jeffco to interpret a 1-way request as "mountain bikers like trail restrictions" statement. My $.02 (which don't mean squat) is to keep it the way it is, but that's just 1 man's opinion.

R

mtbr member
    I'm not much for restrictions, rules, or regulations which is why I seldomly ever ride Open Space trails. The out n back is a valid point, but geez there's already plenty of those options. This ride is a solid loop though, why drive there for an out n back???

But really, wouldn't you rather just go rail singletrack start to finish over stopping a gazillian times to yeild and play nice-which is really mandatory at Centennial Cone. Not baggin on your opinion Russman, everyone is entitled... Guess I'll stick to my stashes if that's the consensus on this ride.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by rky_mtn_srfr
    But really, wouldn't you rather just go rail singletrack start to finish...
    hence the out and back, plus you get a longer ride

mtbr member
    and this is where we differ. For me, 'railing' doesn't involve stopping, putting foot down, and yeilding, which is what happens way to much on this trail or any out n back for that matter.

rubber side down
    I'm not much for restrictions, rules, or regulations which is why I seldomly ever ride Open Space trails. The out n back is a valid point, but geez there's already plenty of those options. This ride is a solid loop though, why drive there for an out n back???

But really, wouldn't you rather just go rail singletrack start to finish over stopping a gazillian times to yeild and play nice-which is really mandatory at Centennial Cone. Not baggin on your opinion Russman, everyone is entitled... Guess I'll stick to my stashes if that's the consensus on this ride.
    If I had stashes to ride (PM me if you'd like to share one or 4 ) my opinion might change, but my bread and butter are Open Space parks. I've ridden CC a half dozen times, and never had to yield more than a half dozen times (I'm a very respectful rider, btw). Thing is, if they put more restrictions on CC, then they'll put some on Apex, or Chimney...then Falcon, and on and on...it's just how government works down here. Jeffco just needs to be pressured to build more trails. The biggest reason for trail conflict is that they are too crowded with mtber's, hikers, equestrians, etc... It's a trail per user issue.

Cheers.

R

mtbr member

Here's the Solution

Build more loop trails out there to break the people up. Make it the next Buff Creek. They've got the room. That way we have more mileage and options without the restrictions.

I rode out there about a month ago and the traffic and blind corners were a bit irritating to say the least. I thought then maybe they should make this directional, thought again and realized that they just need to make some monster loops. Who's with me? Is there any reason they couldn't do this?
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

skillz to pay billz
    you cant rail singletrack start to finish at CC without hitting some jeep road homie

Big Boned
    The Elk Trail (the jeep road section) closes for elk calving season, leaving only the singletrack open during the first part of the season. There can be no one-way designation during those early months, unless you made riders take the dirt roads (Douglas Mtn. and Camino Perdido) to complete the loops. Plus, if you don't go out there on a weekend when it's packed, or if you ride early, you can ride it without interruption. Traffic conflicts are really only an issue if you let them be an issue for you.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    you cant rail singletrack start to finish at CC without hitting some jeep road homie
    Sure you can -- just ride the out-and-back, which is the way it was undoubtedly meant to be, anyway.

skillz to pay billz
    that's what I'm saying

But really, wouldn't you rather just go rail singletrack start to finish...

Big Boned
    This ride is a solid loop though, why drive there for an out n back???
    Because the out and back is 18 miles, 3000 feet of climbing/descending, all "singletrack" (it's kinda wide, actually.) The loop involves the jeep road section, which is alright, but not nearly as much fun as riding the "singletrack." And because the terrain climbs, descends, climbs, and descends again, it's actually a really good out-and-back -- not like other trails that are all climbing and then all descending. When I ride there, I do -- south parking lot to north, and back again, including the Juniper / Mayhem spur loop. Makes for a good 3+ hour jaunt. Best ridden on a weekday morning when there's no one there.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    that's what I'm saying

Guess we're going to have to agree to agree, then. I much prefer that route. I can ride jeep road anytime.

skillz to pay billz
    I agree to agree

mtbr member
    Noob and MMD, I don't think you're really getting my point, and that's ok. Just thought I'd throw an idea out there for potential improvement. Good thinking SPT, more trails is always better. This was my first and prbly my last ride at CC (it's like driving a porsche with a governor installed)... have plenty of better options with no issues or governors installed.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    Plus, if you don't go out there on a weekend when it's packed, or if you ride early, you can ride it without interruption.
    +3.14

I always hit it up ealry weekdays & I may have seen less than a dozen riders in a dozen rides all summer.

Out 'n' back from the gulch....always

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I'd like this trail to be multi-use all the time and without restriction to direction of travel. I don't mind running into hikers and bikers. What I want is choice... I don't think they need to do an alternating schedule, because that limits my ability to ride when I want. I'm selfish... it's all about me!

Big Boned
    Well, the only really important point I made, and by "really important" I mean -- not really important at all -- is that it would be impossible to impose a one-way regulation on CC due to the Elk Trail seasonal closure, which is entirely dependent on the whims of the elk. This season it didn't open until late June. So if the trail was one-way, that would have meant a good 3 months of the season when all riders, hikers and horses would have been forced out onto the dirt roads to finish the loop. And that doesn't sound like much fun.

But really, I think CC is a kind of fun, but kind of vanilla trail. I prefer more techincal stuff, personally. It's fun to ride really fast, and for that reason it makes a good test of peak fitness for recovering-roadie-geeks like me. I did ride it quite a bit early this season, just to get my legs back, and because my work had me driving past the area quite a bit in March and April. But I wouldn't be hitting it every weekend or anything -- it would get pretty boring.

I did hear rumors that they may build more trail in the park, possibly up the Cone itself. Here's hoping they leave some of the big rocks in place to make things more interesting. As it is, it's so wide and flat, you half expect to pass an exit ramp with a Conoco/Subway and a Starbucks.

Noob and MMD, I don't think you're really getting my point, and that's ok. Just thought I'd throw an idea out there for potential improvement. Good thinking SPT, more trails is always better. This was my first and prbly my last ride at CC (it's like driving a porsche with a governor installed)... have plenty of better options with no issues or governors installed.

skillz to pay billz
    Its not that I don' get the point rky, I, like some others, just don't like regulation and don't think the jeep road is that interesting. Out and back keeps you on the goods for longer and mixes it up a little.

good to open a dialog but hopefully jeffco rangers aren't listening in

Stand back
    Bah, you guys complain about the jeep road too much, IMO. It's short. For those of us who don't have the option of riding while everyone else is working, CC is way too crowded. I'm pretty sure in one ride there, I passed more people than on any other trail I've ridden in the front range on any single ride. It's a fun trail (and one my wife enjoys, which is a big plus) but I too thought about the benefits of it possibly being one direction. And no, I don't think that would indicate to anyone that mtbrs enjoy restrictions in general. Non-mtbrs aren't necessarily all morons...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    ^^^ This is right on. On the weekends (not everyone is cool enough to ride it during the week), CC is way too crowded. There isn't one "better" direction, so there's an equal number going clockwise and counter-CW... which means you have to stop for other riders way too much. If you do it as an out-and-back, it just means you have to stop for even more riders.

Big Boned
    So get yer lazy arse out of bed and get to the trail earlier. I've started off there at 6:30 am before, completed an out-and-back and not encountered any other riders until the very end of my ride. How is your need to sleep late a reason for regulations that ruin the best potential route on an otherwise so-so trail?

Stand back
    Basically, the only time I'm going to pick CC over another closer trail is when my wife is riding with me, and no chance of getting a babysitter for before 6:30am.
    Seriously though, you shouldn't be really worried about the trail becoming one directional and ruining your ride. I don't think you'd be affected much anyway, if you leave so early you only see other riders at the very end of your ride...
    Last edited by dbabuser; 11-13-2007 at 12:27 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

lucky enough

I too left the bubble

And rode the Cone for the first time on Saturday. Fun trail - like a big Betasso. We started at 3 PM and it was a bit of a buzz kill to stop several times for oncoming riders. But by sunset there weren't many! I was hoping to see a mountain lion/cougar/puma thingie. I could see the rationale for having it one way - blind corners, steep slopes that you wouldn't want to fall down if you crashed into someone going fast the other way. What if it was one way on alternate mtn biking days? Or 11 AM to 3 PM? Every other month? Every blue moon?
    I didn't notice the jeep trail, but then by that time it was almost dark - I was just enjoying the climb in lovely twilight time.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Big Boned
    So - what about the fact that the singletrack is 9 miles long, and if you make it one-way, you're stuck riding the whole thing as a loop, whereas now you have the option of doing a short out-and-back of, say, 1 hour or so?

And then, what about the side loops like the Evening Sun and Juniper / Mayhem, and any other loops they may build off the main trail?

Sorry, not buying it. Leave it as is. The last thing we need is more rules.

mtbr member
    Sorry, not buying it. Leave it as is. The last thing we need is more rules.
    I agree. It would be absolutely lame if you could only ride it one way. The out and back is much more fun any way. So what if you have to yield. Take a breath, enjoy the view, and be happy.

tiny rider
    The only way I see one-way traffic being a large benefit is if we could prevent people from stopping to take a break just behind the blind corners. Maybe the Barnum and Baily Circus folks could train the mountacougumalions to identify these critical locations and eat any offenders.

I am happy to have Centennial Cone as another local option, and would ride it in any traffic control regime.

Stand back
    Ha ha, take a breath? I could take a nap in the amount of time I had to stop and wait for people to pass. It probably wouldn't be as big of a deal if it wasn't alternating use. Has anyone else noticed that the trailhead is jammed full on bike days? I don't see any difference b/t having to wait for bikes or people on foot to pass, personally.
    Golden Bike Park

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

The rangers were at the Cone on Saturday.....

and they were ticketing hikers. At least that's what my friend told me who rode there and saw them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

J\V
    mtbr member
    Rode the Cone this morning and saw a grand total of two hikers and a dog. Of course, it was in the high 30's, but still had a great ride (clockwise loop this time, for what that's worth).
    '12 Santa Cruz Tallboy C w/2015 Crossmax SLs
    '10 S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/Zipp 404s

Go hard or go home

Hate to rub it in, but...

Heading out there right now...bye!
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

Go hard or go home

Centennial Cone - Revised opinion and photos

Team,

First off, I want to apologize for stating my opinion in this thread, without having the appropriate knowledge of the place. I really hate it when somebody does that to me, especially about a topic that I DO know a lot about (such as climate change, renewable energy, beer, or divorce ).

Anyway, I stated my opinion previously in this thread that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to make it directional. My error was, I had never been there and ridden this ride. So yesterday, I went out and rode this ride, and I now officially change my tune. I rode the whole loop, so I could see the entire trail, and I totally understand folks preferring to do an out and back on the single track, and skipping the road. Now, I thought the road was fine, but forcing EVERYONE to do it would probably not go over so well - and you can make so much more of an interesting ride by doing and out-and-back from the south lot on the singletrack.

One thing I encountered yesterday was the wind. Man, in the exposed areas it was howling! I was on the dirt road heading south at about 4pm and it was just raging from the southwest, so I was getting it and the low sun right in the face...another thing I noticed, that had been mentioned previously, was the abundance of blind corners - there are a few that if you came around them hot, it could be trouble real quick, especially if there was a horse around the corner

Now, to make me feel better...some photos from the ride.

Isn't this what its all about??

Denver's brown cloud was disgusting yesterday...

Aww yeah!! Bliss!

Thanks for indulging me - I will be more scientifically diligent with my opinions from now on!

Go hard or go home

Don't say it...

Oh yeah, and don't mention my bar ends (SkaredShtles)!

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Nice shots, Sinjin4131. Besides the wind, yesterday was perfect. I think me and my buddy past you going the other way while you were climbing - you went counterclockwise, right? We were both on singlespeeds (Black Sheep and a Chameleon) and I noticed your Yeti (I have a team turquoise 575, so I always notice Tribe members)!

I agree that it needs to be open both directions... Now if only we could get the Elk to hump elsewhere, we could ride all winter (weather permitting)...

Go hard or go home

Yesterday

Yuppers...I was going counterclockwise, and panting just enough to not notice your bikes (bad, me!!) but I did notice that one of you were wearing a rockin cool red wool jersey - that was sweet!

I saw a grand total of 6 bikes out there yesterday in my loop - no hikers or horses.

Stand back
    So does anybody know why this trail has been segregated on wkends? Was there any significant hiker/ bike conflict?
    Golden Bike Park

skillz to pay billz
    don't say I didn't tell you so

mtbr member
    So does anybody know why this trail has been segregated on wkends? Was there any significant hiker/ bike conflict?
    It's a new trail and started off that way as far as I know. But why not? I wish every trail in the front range was like this.

mtbr member
    Great pics Sinjin. I love the views there.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjin4131
    ) but I did notice that one of you were wearing a rockin cool red wool jersey - that was sweet!.
    Oh that was definitely me sportin' my Castelli... ahh yeahh! It's tough being this sexy, but someone has to do it.

Go hard or go home
    ugh...

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwah
    It's a new trail and started off that way as far as I know. But why not? I wish every trail in the front range was like this.
    What, you mean packed on the one day on the weekend that it's open to bikes? Yeah me too...
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How about one way on the weekends, alternate direction each weekend. It would accomodate those who can't always get away on weekdays. Wouldn't help those who want the out and back thing, but would sure help the flow.

Big Boned
    How about... No. What is this obsession with regulations? Ever hear of the law of unintended consequences? Like, by trying to fix a problem that's not really even a problem, you're just going to cause more and bigger problems for even more people?

Stop trying to turn the whole world into the People's Republic of Boulder!

The reality is, with the number of inexperienced riders that seem to flock to that trail, it would just be torture to force them to complete an entire loop due to a one-way rule.

For good or ill, that trail has become a magnet for noobs due to its lack of technical features. Someone earlier in this thread said they take their wife out there because it's the kind of trail she can ride. I would do the same thing if I was looking to introduce someone to the sport but not risk sending them ass-over-teakettle on a water bar or rock roller. If there was a one-way restriction out there, I could never take my wife on that trail, because there's no way in hades she could finish the whole loop. We couldn't even shuttle it, because I doubt she could finish the singletrack from one lot to the other. So that would basically close that trail to her, and lots of other less experienced riders. What's the point of that? To keep the trail a private sanctuary for a bunch of weekend warrior whiners who can't be bothered to yield on the downhills? Give me a break!

Case in point -- on my way back from an out-and-back one day this summer, I ran into two guys at the bottom of the switchbacks closest to the south parking lot. They were relatively green riders, and they were just hating life, they'd ridden from the south lot and they looked like they were about to die. One had taken off his helmet, doused his t-shirt with water and was wearing it on his head like a turban, sitting in the shade under a big rock. I stopped to make sure they were okay, and they said it had taken them over an hour to get to thet spot, and they were thinking of walking their bikes back to the car.

AN HOUR!!!

For a good rider who's in shape, those switchbacks are maybe 20 minutes from the parking lot, tops. But for some poor, out-of-shape noob who's just looking for an easy trail to get a taste of the sport, even riding 1/3 of that trail could be brutal -- especially in mid-day heat in July, since so much of it is out in the sun.

If riders like that were forced to ride the whole loop due to a one-way restriction, it would take them half the day to complete it, and they would probably run out of water because -- noobs always run out of water. And then you're looking at news stories like... "Two more mountain bikers were evacuated from Centennial Cone trail today due to heat stroke... Authorities are considering closing the trail due to the hazard to cyclists." It's a bad, bad idea.

If you're such a hardcore stud that you feel the need to bomb the downhills without encountering uphill traffic, get over yourself and go to Keystone. Otherwise, deal with it. Expert riders have a huge selection of trails around here to ride. Beginners don't. So we've got to share. A silly one-way regulation might be great for riders at a certain level, but it would be very unfair to a lot of riders -- families, kids, and so on.

"One way streets and square one / the answers don't come from any one direction... Too many rules / they will bleed you dry..." - Son Volt

Bad Andy
    but it would be very unfair to a lot of riders -- families, kids, and so on.
    Who cares about flippin' kids? You're s'posed to just run their a$$es off the trail on your CX bike...

mtbr member
    How about... No. What is this obsession with regulations? Ever hear of the law of unintended consequences? Like, by trying to fix a problem that's not really even a problem, you're just going to cause more and bigger problems for even more people?
    Totally agree with this one. It's bad enough they have the alternating use days. Why ask for MORE regulations? Make it one way? Why not pave it and put up traffic signals, too?

Instead, why not just ride under control so you can stop if you need to? Centennial Cone wasn't created for the advanced or technical rider, it is totally beginner territory (and a little boring except for a conditioning ride). If you choose to ride there, accept that there will be a lot of fairly clueless riders on the weekends and plan accordingly. If you don't want to stop for people to pass you, go elsewhere. Don't ask for the guv'ment to restrict our riding options even more!
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast