Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: besoft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    92

    Centenial cone ride saturday

    Took the single speed out. It was a hard ride with the snow coming back.The trail was 80 percent clear, no mud but snow on the backside of all the north facing switchbacks. Most of it was ridable. There was one set of bike tracks that had been there before us. We went all the way to the lookout were the rock steps are. Coming back we saw 4 other bike riders and the trail started getting easier with every bike that rode it.
    Here is garmin link.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/24361503
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Centenial cone ride saturday-misc-010610-088-large-e-mail-view.jpg  

    Centenial cone ride saturday-misc-010610-089-large-e-mail-view.jpg  

    Centenial cone ride saturday-misc-010610-091-large-e-mail-view.jpg  

    Centenial cone ride saturday-misc-010610-092-large-e-mail-view.jpg  

    Centenial cone ride saturday-misc-010610-095-large-e-mail-view.jpg  

    ONCE YOU RIDE FAT U WONT GO BACK!

  2. #2
    ...
    Reputation: avion.nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    136
    Are you a Garmin Rep? You're making me think that I just have to have a 705...
    Did Centennial Cone get a lot of snow on Sun/Mon?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    48
    I was out there Saturday too and it was great to finally ride some dirt! Rode the Mayhem climb twice just for kicks.

    I saw several hikers park there and get out to hike.They read the signs and had visible moments of doubt on whether to go up the trail. Exactly one out of 6 turned around and got back in his car. My question is do you still yield trail to the knuckle head hikers who don't heed the alternate use signs? I'm sure I would get a few terse words if I pulled my bike out and rode on a 'hikers only' day.

  4. #4
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    NO.... you CALL IN AND MAKE A COMPLAINT!!!! They clearly stated that bikers were getting complaints and hikers weren't. So, I say call it in, they were clearly in the wrong. just get it on record.
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  5. #5
    hehe ...you said "member"
    Reputation: jake7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by avion.nomad
    Are you a Garmin Rep? You're making me think that I just have to have a 705...
    Did Centennial Cone get a lot of snow on Sun/Mon?
    Having a 705 hasn't made me a better rider but it is a very cool device in terms of the data compiled on your rides and the topo maps are handy in unfamiliar areas.
    ... and, no, I'm not a rep
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    48
    and whats the number? I can't remember if it is clear creek county or gilpin county.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: djlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    79
    I don't know the number, but isn't it a Jeffco Open Space park?
    Is this where I write something witty?

  8. #8
    not actually bad :)
    Reputation: bad_andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,590
    Quote Originally Posted by edmiston9
    and whats the number? I can't remember if it is clear creek county or gilpin county.
    I linked to this from the Centennial Cone page.

    Jeffco Open Space:
    Admin Offices
    700 Jefferson County Parkway, Suite 100,
    Golden, Colorado 80401
    Jeffco complex map
    Phone: 303-271-5925
    Fax: 303-271-5955

    I agree - call it in!
    And I kinda like your idea of not yielding. And then tell them why!

    Is the Mayhem lot finished?
    How is it?
    Old Codger

  9. #9
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    If its a woman that is hiking, call it in as a cougar sighting... that'll get'em out there!

    IE
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  10. #10
    Rustycar
    Reputation: rustycar66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    NO.... you CALL IN AND MAKE A COMPLAINT!!!! They clearly stated that bikers were getting complaints and hikers weren't. So, I say call it in, they were clearly in the wrong. just get it on record.
    If you're going to make an official complaint, I think it would be good to have the time and date, descriptions of the individuals, and the license plate number of their vehicle. I'd reference their regulation also...

    JEFFERSON COUNTY OPEN SPACE RULES AND REGULATIONS
    POSTED NOTICES
    5.84.27 It shall be unlawful to violate any other posted sign
    or to violate any regulation as set forth in any brochure for
    any Open Space lands. Fine: $45.00
    www.FreesNotFree.blogspot.com
    Everyone starts out as the FNG...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    I linked to this from the Centennial Cone page.

    Jeffco Open Space:
    Admin Offices
    700 Jefferson County Parkway, Suite 100,
    Golden, Colorado 80401
    Jeffco complex map
    Phone: 303-271-5925
    Fax: 303-271-5955

    I agree - call it in!
    And I kinda like your idea of not yielding. And then tell them why!

    Is the Mayhem lot finished?
    How is it?
    Cool man, thanks for posting that info. I'll call it in. Unfortunately I didn't think to get plate numbers and physical descriptions. I did ride the trail with little yielding for the hikers and simply whistled to give them a heads up that I was behind them. If I got confronted I had a little speech that went something like this "Hey, ********, maybe read the signs next time. You can walk your precious trail tomorrow when bikes aren't allowed. Until then, keep your head on a swivel as you walk back to your car cause there's going to be a lot of bikes out here on our alternate use day." Maybe I'll give them the JeffCo number and encourage them to lodge a complaint...


    EDIT: Yes, the Mayhem lot is done and it's quite nice. The trail on the other hand is wide enough and smooth enough for a wheelchair...but in February any dirt is welcome!

  12. #12
    Pivot Rider
    Reputation: Yetigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by rustycar66
    If you're going to make an official complaint, I think it would be good to have the time and date, descriptions of the individuals, and the license plate number of their vehicle. I'd reference their regulation also...

    JEFFERSON COUNTY OPEN SPACE RULES AND REGULATIONS
    POSTED NOTICES
    5.84.27 It shall be unlawful to violate any other posted sign
    or to violate any regulation as set forth in any brochure for
    any Open Space lands. Fine: $45.00
    For some reason, I thought JCOS was raising the fine to $50.00. fwiw, I don't yield to hikers on a bike only day AND have gotten "blessed" for it as well. Fortunately, I've been lucky on those days to see a ranger at the bottom of Mayhem, so was able to "report" the incidents. I also have been known to politely discuss the biker only/hiker only days with the person(s) who have apparently forgotten how to read.

    My personal opinion -- as was stated above, it is important to get all identifying information and to report any incidents to the proper folks (JCOS). We need to begin documenting the "infringements" that so many others are willing to document against mtn bikers.

    That being said -- it is IMPORTANT to always be polite and courteous on the trails and to encourage a sense of awareness. Hostility only "brands" us as being the hotheads and "punks" that some seem to think that we are. Just sayin...........
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl
    For some reason, I thought JCOS was raising the fine to $50.00. fwiw, I don't yield to hikers on a bike only day AND have gotten "blessed" for it as well. Fortunately, I've been lucky on those days to see a ranger at the bottom of Mayhem, so was able to "report" the incidents. I also have been known to politely discuss the biker only/hiker only days with the person(s) who have apparently forgotten how to read.

    My personal opinion -- as was stated above, it is important to get all identifying information and to report any incidents to the proper folks (JCOS). We need to begin documenting the "infringements" that so many others are willing to document against mtn bikers.

    That being said -- it is IMPORTANT to always be polite and courteous on the trails and to encourage a sense of awareness. Hostility only "brands" us as being the hotheads and "punks" that some seem to think that we are. Just sayin...........
    Thanks for the additional info. As a rule I'm overly courteous on trails. Stopping for all hikers and encouraging them that they have the ROW. But on the Cone I just rode normal and didn't dismount for any reason. I did say thanks to each hiker that got out of the way and would only reserve my speech for any hikers that felt I didn't yield appropriately. I have no interest in marring the image of cyclists in a situation where we are tertiary trail users, but less concerned with it when we are designated as primary trail users.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •