Go hard or go home

Cent Cone Sunday

Man!! Cent Cone was PACKED on Sunday...wow...

What is the rule with horses up there? Do they have to be like bikes, or be like hikers up there? Or do they get a pass and can be there whatever days they want? There were two horses up there yesterday, and with the volume of bikes zipping around those blind corners, its a tragedy waiting to happen...just wondering if there is 'official guidance' for horses on specific weekend days.
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

mtbr member
    Considered Cluster Cone yesterday but went elsewhere. Glad I did. It's only worth it on weekdays IMO. It's a shame really, because it is a fine trail.
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! ding ding ding

Quote Originally Posted by Sinjin4131
    What is the rule with horses up there?
    Do they have to be like bikes, or be like hikers up there?
    Or do they get a pass and can be there whatever days they want?
    we have a winner.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePowderTrack
    Considered <"insert any JeffCo Open Space trail name"> yesterday but went elsewhere. Glad I did. It's only worth it on weekdays IMO. It's a shame really, because it is a fine trail.
    Fixed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Fixed!

Usually I try to avoid Jeffco altogether. However, I did ride in Jeffco yesterday and had great flow. I guess everyone went to The Cone. It's just one of those places you see someone every 50 yards....not enough trail options to break up the traffic.
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

mtbr member
    We avoided the cone too. Went up higher and got in a awesome ride elsewhere.

Centennial Cone is a great ride during the week, if at all possible avoid it on the weekends. Even on the biker days!
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

feel the Force
    You've heard of the Sacred Cow? Well in Colorado it's the Holy Horse! They can go wherever, do whatever, and leave behind anything they please. Upon approaching one you must get on your knees and beg for mercy, or at least pity.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

mtbr member

Just make a mandatory direction...

...for MTB'ing Centennial Cone - to avoid all of the encounters. Alternate the mandatory direction once a month. Personally, I ride it before work (like this morning) and have the place (along with unseen predators) to myself.

Later,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrause
    ...for MTB'ing Centennial Cone - to avoid all of the encounters. Alternate the mandatory direction once a month. Personally, I ride it before work (like this morning) and have the place (along with unseen predators) to myself.

Later,
    Mike
    I think this is a great idea in The Cones case. They're experimenting with the alternate usability days why not experiment with directional trails? Of course Mayhem would remain both directions at all times.

mtbr member
    Or maybe they should do a study on use on hiking only days.....just doesn't seem that crowed those days, putting a lot of pressure on the biking days for a limited number of users for the "odd" days. Just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    I've been saying they should designate a direction ever since that trail opened... its tough hauling a$$ and worrying about someone just around the corner. There are too many blind spots.

Besides, then it would force me to ride that trail CCW once in a while.

Rolling
    Bummer, my Ride up at S St Vrain was polluted with only two other riders...and three hunters.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan
    I've been saying they should designate a direction ever since that trail opened... its tough hauling a$$ and worrying about someone just around the corner. There are too many blind spots.

Besides, then it would force me to ride that trail CCW once in a while.
    I'd recommend NOT hauling a$$ then... especially around blind corners. Hauling a$$ on ANY blind corner is just *asking* for trouble.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was up there Sunday and just wanted to say thanks to the 3 grumpy guys who were stopped at the top of the rocky switchback section IN THE TRAIL and wouldn't move after we announced ourselves with my bell and a few "hello" calls.

Just because you morons can't ride that section doesn't mean I can't.

If you're reading this, you know who you are. Learn some trail etiquette and get out of the way if you're just standing!

Either way, my day wasn't phased. I had a blast. What a great weekend to be out riding!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Mandatory Direction

I strongly agree that Jeffco should consider alternating single direction riding for the loop portions of C Cone. But I doubt that it will ever happen. I suggested this to a ranger there once, and we got into a friendly discussion about it, it was clear after twenty-five minutes that the powers that be were not interested in the possibility of single direction riding, even though the arguments against doing such on offer were poorly considered, or even just made no sense whatsoever.
    Perhaps riders who support the notion of single dirtection riding at C Cone should get together on this forum and write up a proposal, gather endorsements, and submit it to the appropriate authorities.
    I am not suggesting that the need for speed necessitates single direction riding, but there is no doubt that single direction riding would increase enjoyment for everyone, as the interruption of flow in having to stop every 15 seconds to yield to uphill traffic gets old fast, and there would certainly be less user conflicts with everyone going the same direction.

Members who have read this thread: 0