Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Celebrate the Winter Solstice in Monument Ride 12/22/11

We're going to meet at the lower Preserve trailhead at the corner of Mt. Herman Rd and Nursery Rd in Monument. This will be the 5th or 6th Monument celebration of the Solstice ride in a row (summer and winter). It usually ends up being a fairly large group, and there will be an appropriate amount of celebrating so dress warmer than you normally would for the conditions. The pace is a no-one-gets-left-behind pace, but if we have a large enough group, we'll split off into a hammerhead group and a slower group.

Obviously, bring trail riding lights and warm clothing. The conditions are likely to be snow packed trails and temps in the 20s, but it's way to early to say for sure. If you're coming, check on this thread in the afternoon on that day and make sure everything is still a go weather wise.

If we have folks driving down from up north, it probably makes sense to have a later meeting time of 6:30pm to give a little more time (shoot, anyone driving up from the Springs probably needs that too based on the I-25 traffic lately).

the Chain Guy
    I'm out since I will be in Michigan. I hope the weather cooperates for you.

I'm with stupid
    Im in like flin, I think Joe needs to go have a chat with the guy that own the brew house up there and see if they want to stay open and "host" us for some drinking after party in somewhere WARM.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Im in like flin, I think Joe needs to go have a chat with the guy that own the brew house up there and see if they want to stay open and "host" us for some drinking after party in somewhere WARM.
    Yes, I would love to be able to enjoy a nice warm brewery after the ride instead of a freezing parking lot.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I plan on doing Zone 5 interval training till then and will be rocking an 18lb carbon rocketship, oh yeah, IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!

I think I can.

You make me laugh

I'm gonna use this quote in the future.

I plan on doing Zone 5 interval training till then and will be rocking an 18lb carbon rocketship, oh yeah, IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!

And yes I will talk to them, if it won't work then I will let you know, hopefully the snow hold off and temp stay cold. Spoke with PBR couple weeks ago about this as well, hope the Denver crew makes it down, will be a good time as always.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

gotta get up to get down
    hell yeah i'm in for this! becca will be outta town unfortunately... hopefully we can get a big ole group going that'd be sweet

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    It was way too cold last time I came, I just don't have the proper gear for such an adventure.
    Proud to race for Mojo Wheels

Inflexable...
    You guys do know there is this phenomena known as sunlight. It appears normally during the DAYLIGHT hours. It is great for riding under and it also provides a certain level of WARMTH that is generally appealing. It in no way inhibits the ability to consume malty beverages before, during or after a ride.

You guys should try it sometime...

signed,

That cycleachluophobic guy...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    It was way too cold last time I came, I just don't have the proper gear for such an adventure.
    Sure you do. I rode Cap'n Jacks at 20 degrees last Wednesday in the following (don't diss my ghetto setup):

Core:
    1 long sleeve bike jersey under
    1 old Dainese Safety Jacket under
    1 long sleeve tie dye t-shirt
    I also used a thin windproof vest on the downhill

Legs:
    lycra shorts under
    cheap tights from Costco under
    khaki shorts from Target with
    knee and shin pads

Feet:
    wicking bike socks under
    rag wool socks under
    plastic newspaper bags
    in 5.10 shoes

Hands:
    ordinary fleece gloves from Costco (2 pairs--one to get sweaty on the climbs and a second so they were dry for the downhill)

I also had a spare fleece and a pair of ski gloves in my camelbak in case anyone got cold (a good idea for winter night riding). My other trick is to keep a pair of latex surgical gloves in my camelbak. They are water proof and quite warm if I need extra warmth for my hands.

Riding in the cold doesn't require anything special or expensive--just the determination to get off the couch.

gotta get up to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri View Post
    You guys do know there is this phenomena known as sunlight. It appears normally during the DAYLIGHT hours. It is great for riding under and it also provides a certain level of WARMTH that is generally appealing. It in no way inhibits the ability to consume malty beverages before, during or after a ride.

You guys should try it sometime...

signed,

That cycleachluophobic guy...
    seems like everyone can't do much daylight riding other than weekends
    i'm usually open for a sunny daytime ride (but my schedule is more flexible than most)

pm me if u plan on riding in the springs, stuff usually happens short notice too

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Sure you do. I rode Cap'n Jacks at 20 degrees last Wednesday in the following (don't diss my ghetto setup):

[
    Riding in the cold doesn't require anything special or expensive--just the determination to get off the couch.
    I wont diss your set up but you did look fn huge wearing your safety jacket.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Ouch, the gauntlet has been thrown!

I will have to take some of your ideas and test them before I show up all cold and embarrassed.
    Proud to race for Mojo Wheels

mtbr member
    I will be there for sure
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

Free your heel...
    I'm thinking about making the trek down from Denver. I've never ridden these trails, are they considered singlespeed friendly?

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
    I'm thinking about making the trek down from Denver. I've never ridden these trails, are they considered singlespeed friendly?
    OH they are Stoopid fun and SS friendly!
    (wasnt last week ss friendly)

Still trying to make this work!
    Last edited by PBR me!; 12-13-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
    Before I got the Shinobi, I usually rode my Unit there. Most of the climbs are either flowy, or dirt road climbs so you'll be fine if conditions are dry. There are a few climbs that I usually ended up walking on, but not many. I'm not sure if you're running a suspension fork or not, but some of the trails are on the rocky side. Personally, I dig riding the rigid there, but other people would probably disagree.

That being said, I suck at climbing in the snow on my SS so that might be a consideration if you're in the same boat and conditions are snow packed (which is obviously too early to tell). I find it really hard to keep momentum up in the snow without breaking traction...

Front Range Cyclist
    FYI i road in Monument last Saturday....on my fat bike. Trails are snow covered pretty good. I road up Mt Herman road (was set as single speed...38t x 16) and choose to ride down Cool runnings. I ride this stuff normally on a 6" rig....don't think I'd take a normal MTB on the trails right now with the snow as it is. I'm more capable rider than many, and the fat bike was a bit tough in some places (gear choice factor excluded).

just an FYI. Note a few of us fat bike guys will be at La Casa Fiesta around 2pm Sunday drinking margs after our ride
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

Free your heel...
    Thanks, this helps. I'm leaning towards riding my half fat single speed and packing a thermos of hot buttered rum.

I think I can.

Guess a trail update is in order

Rode there yesterday and here is my opinion. All the lower park that has seen heavy traffic will be perfect, off the trail is 5" of fluff that is like riding in sand. Temps in for Northern El Paso have been colder than normal for December which means the snow has not melted. This has caused a very unique feature which is the snow even packed is soft on the climbs, breaks loose and stops forward momentum, so at this point I am hoping for warmer temps so the trails firm up at night. All the higher stuff like Black Pearl will not be part of the route as of now, but within the lower preserve we will be able to get 8-12 miles with moderate to difficult climbs, I plan on keeping us off the road so all of Stoopid trail is off the list.
    The Friends of Monument Preserve (FOMP) have been working hard the last couple years getting trails improved for all users (close to 56 miles of trails during the summer) so with that said, I guarantee that unless we get a total dump in the next week this ride will be SS friendly, with a great selection of tech and flow, no need for full suspension unless that's all you have, like me.

I spoke with the owners of Pikes Peak Brew and they will more than happy to stay as long as we have a crowd, nice fire place, good food and some of the best Micro Brew in Colorado, so with that said our ride should be from 6-8:30 then down to the Pub.

I will ride the entire route on Tues next week and post up a final report, if its gonna be iffy I will let you all know, looking forward to this years solstice ride, always a fun time.

Joe

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO View Post
    I spoke with the owners of Pikes Peak Brew and they will more than happy to stay as long as we have a crowd, nice fire place, good food and some of the best Micro Brew in Colorado, so with that said our ride should be from 6-8:30 then down to the Pub.
    Joe
    The meeting time is at 6:30 this week Joe to give anyone coming down from Denver a little more time. Please plan on that when you're talking to the brewery.

I think I can.

I understand the start time but!

Do you think we can set a wheels on the trail time as 6:30? If we meet at 6:30 start time is usually closer to 7 and that will cut our drinking time, don't want to do that do we?

For those coming from Denver, I can usually be to the Apex parking lot in 1:05ish depending on traffic and lead in Right Foot. fyi

Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    The meeting time is at 6:30 this week Joe to give anyone coming down from Denver a little more time. Please plan on that when you're talking to the brewery.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO View Post
    Do you think we can set a wheels on the trail time as 6:30? If we meet at 6:30 start time is usually closer to 7 and that will cut our drinking time, don't want to do that do we?

For those coming from Denver, I can usually be to the Apex parking lot in 1:05ish depending on traffic and lead in Right Foot. fyi
    Don't forget the fact that this is a large group ride. If we're rolling before 6:45 I'd be surprised. If that doesn't work for the brewery, then we need to ditch that plan. I would rather have a decent ride than be forced to cut things short just to drink when we could just as easily drink in the parking lot.

Anyone driving down from Denver should expect evening traffic to be different than weekend traffic since half of Colorado Springs is now employed in Denver...

(Besides, I will need to run home to retrieve the front wheel that I'm going to forget ).

I think I can.

ok

Joe
    Last edited by JOEMTBR COLORADO; 12-14-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: nasty

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

I'm with stupid
    I think the denver folks need to speak for the denver folks that are coming down. So far Its one in and two maybes. If they cant make wheels down and riding by 630 then please speak up. I for one do enjoy riding some nice trail in the cold but i figure 2 hours ( with wheels down at 630) is plenty so I can go warm up inside and enjoy what Joe has set up for us. Or for those that would rather ride longer and be cold drinking beer in a parking lot they can do that too.
    Last edited by hitechredneck; 12-14-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast