Big Boned

CCC Ride this Saturday PavPoint / Silver Dale / Silver Creek

Hey all -- we'll be riding Pavillion Point, Silver Dale and Silver Creek on Saturday morning. We may even throw in a surprise depending on how many people show and how much time we have. Meet @ Georgetown Visitor's Center @ 8:30, riding @ 9:00. 70 to the G-town exit, make a left at the end of the ramp, Visitor's Center is on the right.

This will probably be a 4-6 hour ride altogether, depending. Hope to see you there!

B
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Wish I could join, headed to Nebraska for the weekend. Know of any rides in the Ashland area? JK

Big Boned
    Nebraska -- BUMMER! I have heard that there are some trails somwhere out by North Platte, though.

And OT, I'm going to ride a trail near Iowa City in a couple weeks -- I have to drive to Chicago for business so I'm going to stop off and ride Sugar Bottom, which I hear is cool. Anyone know that trail?

Big Boned
    Bump!

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by minorsway
    Wish I could join, headed to Nebraska for the weekend. Know of any rides in the Ashland area? JK
    Yeah, don't miss Platte River State Park. Maybe 15 minutes from there.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Can I get a brief description of the type of riding? I'd like to ride with my wife tomorrow, but I'd like to find out if she'd have any chance of enjoying it.

We just got back from a long weekend of long rides in Crested Butte, so the distance shouldn't be a problem.

I tend to think that the pace will be fine with her (almost any big group tends to ride more slowly anyway despite the speed of the individual riders). She's pretty fast at times anyway.

I'm going to guess form previous posts that the trails are pretty tech, though. Lotsa rocks and loose/steep sections? Please correct me if this isn't accurate.

So depending, I might see you tomorrow, or we might go someplace like Searle Pass.

Thanks

Big Boned
    Well...

Pavillion Point is a non-techy singletrack / doubletrack climb starting at 9,000 feet and topping out around 10K. From there, we'll climb the Waldorf Mine Road which is a jeep road that's not technical or particularly steep except in some spots, however it will take us up to 12K or so. Depending on what route we decide to take, there may be some hike-a-bike -- and if we do that, there will be a downhill that is kinda gnarly -- steep, lots of rocks, etc. I usually walk one bit of that DH there's one mandatory drop that I just can't pull off. If we don't do the hike-a-bike, we'll just ride up the jeep road and then bomb back down to the Pavillion Point junction. Mainly, the altitude is the killer up there.

Either way, from the bottom of that DH, we'll head down a rocky / loose jeep road that's pretty bouncy and loose, but not particularly difficult as long as you keep your speed checked and pick your lines. At the bottom of that, we'll pick up some singletrack (Silver Dale) that's moderately technical with three skinny bridge crossings over the creek and lots of little ups-and-downs. It's definitely a workout. After that, there's a fairly steep section of trail that drops down to Georgetown and includes some pretty scary stuff at the bottom, but nothing that can't be walked if need be.

From Georgetown, we'll pick up Silver Creek, which is ~5 miles of singletrack that climbs at a steady 4% grade with lots of little features and obstacles. There's some cliff exposure in there, too. It's a fun trail but again, definitely a workout. That's an out-and-back, so the ride back to Georgetown is actually downhill.

We're not talking freeride-type techy, but between the altitude and the modestly techy terrain, these rides tend to put the hurt on a bit.

As far as pace, I'm a clyde so I don't climb fast at all. We'll probably pick it up a bit on the easier grades and the downhills, though, but we'll keep the group together, stop at junctions, etc. There are also a few bailout spots where you can head back to the cars, as needed.

Hope to see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes
    Can I get a brief description of the type of riding? I'd like to ride with my wife tomorrow, but I'd like to find out if she'd have any chance of enjoying it.

We just got back from a long weekend of long rides in Crested Butte, so the distance shouldn't be a problem.

I tend to think that the pace will be fine with her (almost any big group tends to ride more slowly anyway despite the speed of the individual riders). She's pretty fast at times anyway.

I'm going to guess form previous posts that the trails are pretty tech, though. Lotsa rocks and loose/steep sections? Please correct me if this isn't accurate.

So depending, I might see you tomorrow, or we might go someplace like Searle Pass.

Thanks