mtbr member

Cat Slab Area? Clear Creek Canyon

I've heard that in Clear Creek Canyon, an old off limits climbing area is being re-opened.

Here's the official story (http://coloradomountainjournal.com/2...b-will-reopen/)

It mentions IMBA was part of this. I've not ridden Centennial Cone before. I'm guessing this is near there. If not, might this be a potentially new trail?

Anyone know?

Thanks,
    Ted

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi Ted,
    Catslab is a little ways up canyon from Centennial Cone. They're a few miles apart, separated by miles of road on which cycling is prohibited and I don't think there are offroad paths b/w them. FWIW I climbed at Catslab once, years ago and didn't notice anything that might be a MTB trail-just a use trail from the highway to the crag and I would be surprised if there was more than that. Catslab sits on a finger of land on a bend in Clear Creek; creek on three sides and highway/tunnel on the fourth-pretty steep all around.
    I'm guessing the mention of IMBA and various rafting and fishing advocacy groups alongside the Access Fund is simply a matter of recreational interest groups helping one another to gain access to a climbing area in hopes of receiving reciprocal support when the time comes to return the favor (or they are returning the favor to AF).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cat Slab Area? Clear Creek Canyon-untitled-1.jpg  

Thread Terrorist
    Good to hear. Great place to climb. I doubt there will be mtb trails there, but hey, you never know.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park