Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Castle Rock Pump Track and Freeride Park

I hear that Castle Rock has approvals to build a pump track and freeride park on the soon to be open Ryolite Park. They have said they will get the supplies and need the mountain bike community to come in with force and build it. Would there be any takers to have a trail day or three and get this thing built? Let me know.

BRC

Shoulda went faster
    I'd be interested in lending a hand. Just post up some dates.

mtbr member
    i would be down for sure. when is this going to take place?

My leg feels funny
    I'm down when time comes.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I'm down. Post up the details.

mtbr member
    I would be down for that

locked - time out
    I just noticed that everyone replied "DOWN". Who the HECK is "UP"!?!?!?

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Beat me to it!
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR

People in the Springs???

Thunder Chunky
    Hot diggity damn something here in Castle Rock? I will be available to build every weekend and every afternoon during the summer(only available weekends until end of May then I can do it pretty much every afternoon) lol. Where is it going to be? I havent heard of this ryolite park that you speak of. When would it start being built?

Sorry got alittle too excited there...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That is a lot of good response. The park is south of castle Rock on the crystal valley mesa. They have named it Ryolite but it looks like they are going to let the mountain bikers name the freeride park. I think the park should open end of may and we would like to have the pump track in place by then. After that we will start the raised bridges and freeride aspects. I will keep posting when I get the dates. The more people we can get the better. I would like to have it built and functional by the end of summer. I will keep you up to date.

mtbr member
    What's your idea of a Freeride park? Are we talking a few 2 ft ladder drops and a couple of teeters? I'd prefer a flow park with a smooth fast run with bermed corners with some tabletops, stepdowns, and drops. Does this place have any elevation?

Awesomist™
    I might be up for this if someone has more information...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Your retarded
    I'm interested. I'd certainly be open to coming out to build days if the time's available to do so.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I will get info up as soon as I can get the build days from the town. As for the park it is an open slate right now. We will have the ability to do just about anything. We have looked at the freeride park in the springs and although it is good for that area we want to make a much larger version. All ideas are welcomed and appreciated. I would like to get together a meeting at the site with people and everyone throw out ideas so we could start a design. I will let you know dates as I get them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You bet....I'm there!!

Stand back
    Fork Yeah! I'll be there if my schedule cooperates.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Rocket Scientist
    I'm in as well. That's in my area of town. I will be available to help out as well. Will this area also include some DJ's?

I have some junior riders on the team that'd be willing to throw in some shovels and what not to help build!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Details?

Sounds like a great project. How about some details? What land agency? Website links? Who is planning it? Just wanting to be up to speed so we can share the news.

Thunder Chunky
    This is what I know so far...It will open may 3 2008(Im guessing this is when they would allow us to start building.) "Staff is working with Arrowhead Trails and individuals from the community to construct a Challenge Course at the Regional Park." Other than that I dont know much about the bike part of it but I am trying to find some stuff out.

Heres some more info about the park its self:
    "Rhyolite Regional Park, which includes Quarry Mesa and Madge Trail will open on May 3,2008. This 174-acre park in Crystal Valley Ranch will feature nearly two acres of synthetic turf, a large playground, off-street parking, concrete and soft-surface trails, a reserved-use picnic pavilion and two small pavilions, permanent restrooms and a multi-use court for tennis, basketball and inline skating."

Also there is supposedly going to be another trail system that is going in:
    Also, the Town of Castle Rock is working on plans to create an 8-mile native-surface trail system in the Meadows South and Red Hawk Open Space area. This trail will open this spring and will travel through valleys and ridgelines of the 370-acre open space property. Visitors can take in views of the Front Range to the west and the Town below as they traverse through open grasslands and Gambel Oak. 6202 Cycling Club, in conjunction with the Town’s Parks and Recreation Department, will be hosting beginning, intermediate and expert level rides through the property on Saturday, June 7 for National Trails Day."

Ill let everyone know if I get any more info about either one of them...

Thunder Chunky
    Got some more info today:
    "We are in the being stages of planning the bike park for the new Rhyolite Regional Park site so a start date has not been established. We are anticipating beginning construction this summer or fall. We would certainly appreciate any help with labor to build the bike park. Also, the Town likes to use volunteers to assist with certain project to give the community a sense of pride and ownership in the project they assist with."

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

More info

So the hope is to have at least the pump track done by june. We have the ability and the tools out there to push and move some dirt. As for the freeride park we would like to have a design and plan in place by june to start the construction this summer. I am trying to set up an initial meeting to have people over to the site and talk through a design. I will post by monday with a date for that.

MountainMafia "Boss"
    Sounds good and its niceto see some of the local towns planning on bike parks. I just hope the new park has a good flow to it with ladders, bridges, etc.

I'd totally be down to throw in some manual labor... and look forward to someone posting some buidl dates. With me and the fam moving to Highlands Ranch in the near future it would be convenient to have a park as close as CR.
    "Live to ride... FREERIDE to live!!!!!!"

mtbr member

Hell Yeah

I'm in.

Please post meeting time location when available.

Live next to Red Hawk and already have seen some rough in trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Any Updates

Is there any updates on this?

MountainMafia "Boss"
    Where is the park located? Is the pump track completed? Also, is there any word on the freeride park?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The park is located over by Crystal Valley Ranch, on the south end of Castle Rock, just on the other side of the ridge from Plumb Creek.

I have not been over there in a few months, so I don't know if work has started or not.

I can say that I'm available (with some warning) for most of the summer to help out with building this. I'm no expert trail builder, but I can turn a shovel and lift heavy things.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by jharres
    The park is located over by Crystal Valley Ranch, on the south end of Castle Rock, just on the other side of the ridge from Plumb Creek.

I have not been over there in a few months, so I don't know if work has started or not.

I can say that I'm available (with some warning) for most of the summer to help out with building this. I'm no expert trail builder, but I can turn a shovel and lift heavy things.
    I havent talked to the guy who is heading it up for a few monthes but last I had heard from him they were supposed to have a meeting in may with the town to get the plans approved and then they were planning on starting construction either late this summer or early this fall. Ill email the guy and see whats going on and then let u guys know.
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Progress

The town is still moving forward and Arrowhead Trails is slated to build Phase 1 sometime this summer. The location is Rhyolite Regional Park, and the basic plan is to build stuff in phases. I think the first phase includes a fun downhill flow trail with berms and jumps and perhaps an uphill route to the top, one way. Later phases would include more downhill trails, skills area, pumptrack, and dirt jumps.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by imba_pete
    The town is still moving forward and Arrowhead Trails is slated to build Phase 1 sometime this summer. The location is Rhyolite Regional Park, and the basic plan is to build stuff in phases. I think the first phase includes a fun downhill flow trail with berms and jumps and perhaps an uphill route to the top, one way. Later phases would include more downhill trails, skills area, pumptrack, and dirt jumps.
    That's great news - I hope neighboring towns will pay attention and follow your lead.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Who can I talk to in order to get involved? Like I said in a previous post, I'm not an expert trail builder, but can turn a shovel and lift heavy stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jharres
    Who can I talk to in order to get involved? Like I said in a previous post, I'm not an expert trail builder, but can turn a shovel and lift heavy stuff.
    Go talk to Mark at castle rock bicycles. I beleive he is involved in this project.

MountainMafia "Boss"
    Any updates? This sounds like a great project and the possibility of having a park so close to me me is great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ya any updates?

Thunder Chunky
    Just talked to the guy the other day...this is what he said
    "We will start construction of the first phase of Rhyolite Bike Park in the next couple months. I will contact you a couple weeks prior to beginning construction to help get folks together to assist. Many thanks for your interest in helping us build our first bike park."
    Purple Popcorn

Thunder Chunky
    alittle update for everyone. construction on the dh part has begun but idk when its going to be finished. Heres what I was told, this was sent to me on the 16th so its a bit old and sorry i didnt get it up here faster.

"Construction of the downhill flow track will begin next week. I spoke with the contractor who will be building the first phase of the park about the use of volunteers for the flow track and he felt that this phase of the park would be better handled by he and his crews due to the technical features involved in building it. However, Future phases will include a technical skills area including wooden structures; this work will need the help of volunteers to complete. The Town hopes that next summer we can begin the construction of the technical skill area phase."
    Purple Popcorn

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemarine5
    So wait is the pump track done yet?
    i dont think so. i will drive by and check one day though lol im still waiting for the word on when it will open up to be ridden
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    alittle update for everyone. construction on the dh part has begun but idk when its going to be finished. Heres what I was told, this was sent to me on the 16th so its a bit old and sorry i didnt get it up here faster.

"Construction of the downhill flow track will begin next week. I spoke with the contractor who will be building the first phase of the park about the use of volunteers for the flow track and he felt that this phase of the park would be better handled by he and his crews due to the technical features involved in building it. However, Future phases will include a technical skills area including wooden structures; this work will need the help of volunteers to complete. The Town hopes that next summer we can begin the construction of the technical skill area phase."
    So wait is the pump track done yet?

Thunder Chunky
    Alright so they finally took down the trail closed signs and i rode the dh course today. I have to say I was kinda dissapointed. Its on the side of a mesa and they didnt even got all the way to the top so its really short, its not steep at all, its hard to keep your speed up because the berms arent very good and are too tight imo, and the jumps are small but I still cant clear them because you dont have any speed going into them. Maybe I just need to ride it more but I couldnt get any flow going at all today. If you are in Castle Rock then I would say go ride it but otherwise I wouldnt make a special trip for it. On the other hand its better than nothing. I will up load some pics tonight or sometime here...
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    how about any dirt jumps or pump track?? is any of that done yet? what street is it on or off of, I work down near there and might have to check it out.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by siraerich
    how about any dirt jumps or pump track?? is any of that done yet? what street is it on or off of, I work down near there and might have to check it out.
    Nope none of that is done. They are going to start on that stuff and the freeride park next spring i believe. Do you know where crystal valley is? If so its over there, I cant remember the street but I will look it up and let you know
    Purple Popcorn

Thunder Chunky
    some pics for everyone. Sorry they are from my phone...

Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    some pics for everyone. Sorry they are from my phone...

Why, when I was your age, we spent 6 hours a day shovelling coal into the furnace to heat our houses, and our downhill courses had rocks on them.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Why, when I was your age, we spent 6 hours a day shovelling coal into the furnace to heat our houses, and our downhill courses had rocks on them.
    Haha yeah i think they took the rocks out to try and make it more flowy...idk though lol
    Purple Popcorn

Still on Training Wheels!
    It's great to see that some work is actually taking place. Just the fact that it is a directional trail is a win in my book.

Any way I can get some more detailed directions?
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    It's great to see that some work is actually taking place. Just the fact that it is a directional trail is a win in my book.

Any way I can get some more detailed directions?
    yeah sure are you coming from the highway? Im not a home right now but this afternoon I will get directions from the highway there and post them on here for everyone
    Purple Popcorn

Your retarded
    ...I will get directions from the highway there and post them on here for everyone
    Much appreciated, Madman. Next time I'm up in CR visiting my sister, I'll bring a bike... without suspension. But hey, like drum714 said, a directional trail that points downhill is a win for the team regardless of how technical it isn't... for now.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

More Coming

The Town of Castle Rock is planning to add more stuff to the bike park this year. They have asked me - I work at IMBA - for some input and ideas on what items to add next. If you have ridden there, please post up your input. If you want more, or different, let's hear too. Volunteers will be needed, and I'll keep updates flowing. Thanks, Pete

Thunder Chunky
    haha i think im the only one who is ridden there so far (yeah i know i still havent put up the directions for everyone, my bad) but I would like bigger jumps and drops. Also could you ask if there is any way that they can start it at the top of the mesa where its steeper? Im always available to volunteer
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Map

Oh yea, here is a simple map of the area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your retarded
    The Town of Castle Rock is planning to add more stuff to the bike park this year. They have asked me - I work at IMBA - for some input and ideas on what items to add next. If you have ridden there, please post up your input. If you want more, or different, let's hear too. Volunteers will be needed, and I'll keep updates flowing. Thanks, Pete
    If Madman will actually post up some directions, maybe some of us would actually show up...

I'd like to give it a shot. Madman, think this will be ridable this weekend? How long is it? Think one could spend an hour there without loosing interest? Also, is this burly hardtail or short travel freeride type stuff? I don't have a lot of time to ride this weekend, but I'm interested in riding something new, even it does mean driving to Castle Rock.

IMBA_Pete, do you have a larger map? I can't read the phases and key.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    If Madman will actually post up some directions, maybe some of us would actually show up...

I'd like to give it a shot. Madman, think this will be ridable this weekend? How long is it? Think one could spend an hour there without loosing interest? Also, is this burly hardtail or short travel freeride type stuff? I don't have a lot of time to ride this weekend, but I'm interested in riding something new, even it does mean driving to Castle Rock.

IMBA_Pete, do you have a larger map? I can't read the phases and key.
    I think it should be good by this weekend its in the open pretty much. I will get directions up either tonight or tomarrow. Hmmm I think you could do an hour without getting too bored. You really have to try to keep your speed up so you dont case the jumps (or maybe its cause I rode it on a v10) that part is kinda fun if your into the technique thing lol. None of the jumps are that big so I would say you could do hardtail if you wanted but really either bike would probably work. Im working on some other stuff too but It wont be rideable by this weekend (in the trees so there is still lots of snow and mud) and Im not sure if I can make it good enough to be worth the drive lol.
    Purple Popcorn

Your retarded
    You down for a ride there this weekend? Say, Saturday morning?

EDIT: Madman, Mrs. Nickle reminded me that we plans Saturday morning. I still might try and make it up there Saturday though.

Thunder Chunky
    Ok so directions. So get off at exit 181 (first exit if you are coming from the south, last if from the north). If you are coming from the north then at the stop light at the exit turn left onto Plum Creek Parkway and continue to go straight on that. If you are coming from the south get off at 181 and turn left at the stop sign onto S. Wilcox street. Then at the first stop light you come to turn right onto Plum Creek Parkway. The directions from here are the same for people coming from the north and south. You should be on Plum Creek Parkway now and you should go over a bridge that is over some train tracks. Keep going on this road past the event center, past the appartments on your right and when you get to the stop sign take a right onto lake gulch road. You will go for a little while on this road past some small farms and stuff on the right but then you will see a developement of house in the middle of no where lol. Take a right when you get to these houses onto crystal valley parkway (it might be called quarry road too cause going one way its one name and the other way has a different name and I cant remember which one is which, and yes Castle Rock is retarded) from here its just a little ways up the road on your right. You will see a mesa, a play ground, some fields etc. turn in and park there. Then the trail is on the mesa. Last time I was there they were putting in new signs so idk if they are up yet or not but if they arent then its just a loop the you go clockwise around and the trail up goes by the road. I think I covered everything if not then let me know. Also pm me if you want my number and if you get lost I can try to help you.
    Purple Popcorn

Thunder Chunky
    You down for a ride there this weekend? Say, Saturday morning? (I still have to ask Mrs. Nickle if a quick Saturday morning ride would work.)
    sure i will come try to pedal my v10 around with you lol. Of course I have to get permission from the ladies too lol.
    Purple Popcorn

Your retarded
    sure i will come try to pedal my v10 around with you lol. Of course I have to get permission from the ladies too lol.
    If you're going to be on a V10, I'll bring the Balance. Might as well join the bike weight impaired.

Thunder Chunky
    If you're going to be on a V10, I'll bring the Balance. Might as well join the bike weight impaired.
    haha yeah its all I have at the moment unfortunately
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Link

Rhyolite Regional Park-1701 Crystal Valley Parkway

One hundred seventy-four acre park. in Crystal Valley ranch features nearly two acres of synthetic turf, a large playground, off-street parking, concrete and soft-surface trails, a reserved-use picnic pavilion and two small pavilions, permanent restrooms a multi-use court for tennis, basketball and in-line skating. This regional park also features open space and trails, which include Quarry Mesa and Madge Trail.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...3&z=13&iwloc=A

flatlander in paradise
    Heading down to Rhyolite today if anybody else wants to join us.

I'm down for a saturday morning ride. I can bring my vagrant or 7point depending on what you all are riding. What time are you guys planing on getting there? Will it be worth bringing shovles to move some snow.......or dirt?

mtbr member

Good job! start @ the top, please

I have ridden there twice on my old school Intense Tazer, would love to have a reason to bring the Morewood DH bike! Start at the top where it has some dh gradient, have tighter switchback, so steeper, some log rollers/jumps that are higher than my bottom bracket maybe? All that being said, I love it, will continue to ride w/or w/out new features, and am available to help w/aforementioned additions! Thanx for all the hard work!

Dan
    Team Kozos

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Heres a Link to a good map. Looks to include 3 miles of singletrack not including the downhill only track.

Quarry Mesa Open Space

Thunder Chunky
    for those of you that road it today what did you think?
    Purple Popcorn

Your retarded
    for those of you that road it today what did you think?
    My wife and I made it up there way late on Saturday. We didn't have a lot of time, but I did get four good laps in on the DH trail and she was able to get her run on. My impressions of the DH trail...

1) Why are there not trails like this one in every FR city? The concept of making an elongated loop out two semi-parallel trails and establishing a direction of travel is an excellent idea. While I'm not a proponent of directional trails for existing FR trails, I certainly am in this case because it's designed to be directional. It was great being able to lay off the brakes and really open up on the descent, knowing that no one will be climbing really lets you concentrate on the ride, not trail manners.

2) The berms make this trail what it is. The trail's not rough (at all), nor is it that steep or challenging. However, it does have BERMS. Real, legal, legit, constructed berms! I think it is the first "legal trail" I have ever ridden that has man made berms. They are not perfect (a few are either pretty loose, not shaped quite right, or begin/end prematurely), but they are pretty dang good and by your third run you'll have figured things out enough to really rail.

3) Each of the small, single jumps just before a berm are an excellent feature. Their placement is such that you can really use them to setup for the berm. Good call builders. However, the doubles at the bottom are shaped a little strange and need to be redone. Maybe it was my fault for taking a 6.6"/4.8" fully on this trail instead of my hardtail, but the doubles don't give enough pop to actually get both tires across the gap on a 38 lb fully. They aren't tall enough to really make the bike want to leave the ground without a fair bit of rider input. By the 3rd run I was just manualing them, but even then, the walls of the gap are pretty steep and it felt like my rear tire was being slowed down more than it should.

4) Like dancorley said, make this thing longer, steeper, and more technical. Maybe make an upper half that dumps into the start of the current DH trail that is significantly more advanced. That way riders who are not yet comfortable on big, technical features can pedal to the lower trailhead and riders who are more advanced can start at the upper trail head. Win win for everyone since the current trail is perfect for a broad range of riding styles and confidence levels.

5) This trail needs a caretaker. Someone to look after the trail, fix and pack the berms, and just too provide a few hours of maintenance a month. There were a few berms where folks had skidded right over the berm, off the trail and did some damage to the berm. The dirt was loosened and a tire catcher resulted. It'd be a 30 minute fix per berm where this occurred, but it's one of those things that the trail crew needs to stay current on so the little problem doesn't become a bigger one.

I hope this trail in an indicator of things to come for front range trails. I see it as a well constructed, well designed first production trail that can be ridden by a wide range of skill levels at a variety of speeds. It has a surprisingly high re-ride appeal (much more so than any skills park) and will make you a faster, smoother rider. While it may not be long enough or technical enough to warrant a day trip from the Springs, it is definitely a great locals trail and something I am a little jealous of. I hope Colorado Springs follows suit and builds something very similiar. The Denver area NEEDS a longer, more technical version of this before they implode. Seriously.

Solid review Nickle

I agree with most everything you said, however I would like to see more areas that you could pump. I did 3 laps on my hardtail and a lap on my 7point just for the heck of it. I could pop and clear all the little doubles on the hardtail, but didn't even try on the fully. I felt that there was alot of speed lost between burms and that a a couple rollers to pump spaced throughout the trail would have made for a better trail altogether. I'll bee the first to admit that my cornering skills suck, but the trail will definetly help with my technique as well as legs and lungs on the way up. Th climb was fairly eaisy on both my SS hardtail(32x14 I think) as well as the fully(36t front ring no grany).

Bottom line, I'll be back fairly regularly.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    I agree with most everything you said, however I would like to see more areas that you could pump.
    Oh, good point. I agree with that addition. Roller type, not doubles, would be great additions between the berms or on flat sections.

drum714, did you try that little bermed pit off to the right toward the bottom? It looked like a new addition to the trail. I tried it once and concluded that a) I was on the wrong bike to really make use of it and b) that I'm too incompetent to carry the right amount of momentum into and out of it.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    So, who is in charge of maintaining and tweaking this spot? Is it city of Castle Rock emps?

drum714, did you try that little bermed pit off to the right toward the bottom?
    I gave it a try once, but I think there needs to be something to pump coming right out of the right hand berm before it in order to maintain the speed that you'll need to carry through the bowl and out. It deffinetly could be a cool little feature though.

As far as maintainence goes, I'm always happy to put in some shovel time. I live in South aurora, and my bro and a couple riding friends are in Parker, so Ryolite(sp) Park is only a 30 min drive from there. I wouldn't mind working on a couple berms each time I go out, if i knew for a fact there wouldn't be any kind of negative reprocusions, for me or the park, if someone saw me digging

FWIW this trail would be perfect for dual slolom and 4x training with the addition of a few areas to pump. Good corners and a good amount of straits to peddal/pump.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Here is the deal:

- It is called the Rhyolite Bike Park.
    - It is owned and managed by Town of Castle Rock Parks & Recreation Dept.
    - The point person is Rich Havel, Trails Planner
    - The first downhill flow trail and the other traditional trails nearby were built by Arrowhead Trails, a pro trail company who has built many trails all over Colorado
    - The club that is involved is 6202 Cycling club http://www.6202cycling.org
    - The shop is Castle Rock Bicycle Co., Mark Neel
    - IMBA helped with some planning and risk management consulting last year, and the town is asking us for additional advice

The Town wants to build phase 2 and expand the offerings. Their idea is to add a pumptrack and skills area. They want volunteers and input. They are open to other ideas.

I'd love to help facilitate this, get a group of local riders to be involved longterm, and make it as good as possible. The town has money and energy to devote to this.

Let's keep the chatter going and I'll coordinate with the Town.

Thanks, Pete

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I did have a chance to check out the area on Sunday. I rode both the down hill trail and the other trail for the full loop up top. I thought I would give my thoughts on the down hill trail.

This is definitely something communities especially in Colorado should be investing in. I am happy to volunteer if the city puts a weekend together of trail work.

-Berms: I definitely love the berms on the track but they are not yet big enough. I think they need to be larger which will allow for greater speed on the course. I have been to Whistler which is in my opinion the best down hill in the world and while not going to that extreme some of what they have can help mold this course. I think enlarging the berms would be good and to help stabilize them a good idea is to put brick in the berms. Most likely would flow better if the lines between the berms were longer to get a little more speed as the elevation drop isn't enough to always gain speed that quickly.

-Jumps: I am not a fan of the little jumps in front of the berms. I didn't feel like taking a small jump right before I hit a berm. I felt like it was actually a speed-bump and slowed down the track some. I would rather hit a jump after the berm then get my speed back up on the next berm. I just feel that it would help the course flow better.

-On the double jumps I am a fan of tabletops. This I feel builds a little more confidence. If you don't clear both jumps now and you hit the second one it is going to be awkward and possibly result in a crash. On a table top if you are not going to hit the end of the jump you just land on top and roll down the end.

All that said I did enjoy it and hope this is something that will be built up and committed to in other cities. Everyone is going to have different opinions on the course and if people don't like mine no big deal as anything is better than nothing. I am just excited to see a city trying something different.

Thunder Chunky
    Good to see some more guys talking about this and excited about this other than me I think i posted my thoughts earlier but they were close to what drum714 said. I have tried that little bowl thing on the right of the trail more than once and i have never really seemed to be able to get it right.
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    From Colo Springs...I'm IN!

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I went down and checked it out yesterday, and have generally the same response as the guys above. Its very, very cool that it exists, but it needs some more features.

Once it gets packed in a little better it will be ripping fast, carrying speed will be a bit easier.

I was thinking that some small "rock garden" type features might be cool in some of the longer straight/flat zones. Theres plenty of good rock to choose from, especially towards the top.

Some tabletop jumps would be a great addition as well.

The little jumps at the bottom are fine. They are easily rollable for some and I managed to get my DH bike across them, just gotta get the nose down into the landing and the r. wheel will follow.

All in all a cool project. Its sooo cool to see this kind of stuff getting built and supported by municipalities. Its all baby steps in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Hey has anything more progressed here. Haven't ridden down there since before all of the snow and crappy weather hit... that place has so much potential and should be utilized, for all of you guys searching around on google earth for a place to build your own freeride area this place is chock full of potential!! Let me know if there is any time planned to meet with the official castle rock people in order to see what we can use and what we can't. Now that the snow is (hopefully) out of the picture, let's get some people moving on this!! Sweat equity= much fun for the summer!!!

Single Track Samauri
    How about some north shore style ladder rides and a teeter totter to compliment the dirt and rock features?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer45
    How about some north shore style ladder rides and a teeter totter to compliment the dirt and rock features?
    dimensional lumber is sooooo 2006.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I dont even have my new bike finished (and havnt ridden in 4 years) but if there's a need to construct some large earthwork features... I can probably sell it to my project manager to let me take a piece of equipment down there, we'd just need to pay for the low-boy and fuel... excavators, dozers, backhoes, whatever ya need. I could always tow a mini-ex or skid steer down with my truck also if its nothing that requires major yardage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode this park yesterday and it has potential although it seems like it has been uncared for for some time. I thought phase 2 would be in the picture by now or at least in progress. Does anyone know what the statis is for any progression to this park? It seems to almost be abandoned at this time. I willing to volunteer some time also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Digging has started on the new downhill trail at Rhyolite. The berms and hits are roughed-in. Everything is much bigger than the existing downhill trail. It looks great thus far.

Hopefully the builders incorporate some rock/tech features to accompany the flow...

Does anyone have information on estimated completion or the planned pumptrack?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jbadkisson
    Digging has started on the new downhill trail at Rhyolite. The berms and hits are roughed-in. Everything is much bigger than the existing downhill trail. It looks great thus far.

Hopefully the builders incorporate some rock/tech features to accompany the flow...

Does anyone have information on estimated completion or the planned pumptrack?

I'm excited to hear that, also looking forward to more info!

Stand back
    I'm gonna have to go check that out, give me some motivation. Digging is potentially starting at Golden's Bike Park Tuesday!
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Interesting. Can't wait to check it out.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I'm going to have to go check this place out- it's not even that far from me. The idea of purpose-built, directional bike trails is awesome.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Quote Originally Posted by jbadkisson
    Digging has started on the new downhill trail at Rhyolite.
    I really don't understand Douglas County parks. I have personally spoken with them and requested to be involved and never hear anything. I don't think they know what to do with volunteers.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

MountainMafia "Boss"
    I'm guessing that the weather of last night and today totally cashed any chance of riding the park this weekend. I live in NoCo but am stoked to head down and check out the trial. Can somebody post when it dries out enough to ride down there please?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMafia
    I'm guessing that the weather of last night and today totally cashed any chance of riding the park this weekend. I live in NoCo but am stoked to head down and check out the trial. Can somebody post when it dries out enough to ride down there please?
    I don't exactly know what's planned for the future, but what is existing is not worth a drive from NoCo. This is a small little area. I live right next to it and rarely bother to ride it. I walk my dog there frequently however.

mtbr member
    I talked to the guy at the Castle Rock bike shop who told me the pump track opens June 1. I guess they made a new advanced downhill track coming down from the Mesa as well.

Shread Ready
    Huh, looks kinda cool? Never heard about this one but I'm not usually that far south. Need to hit up the Golden bike park soon!

Ride = Life
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity
    I really don't understand Douglas County parks. I have personally spoken with them and requested to be involved and never hear anything. I don't think they know what to do with volunteers.
    Rhyolite Bicycle Park is maintained by the Town of Castle Rock Parks Department not Douglas County. It doesn't surprise me DC didn't know how to help you.The park has been adopted by the 6202 Cycling Club, through the town's POST volunteer program.

For more information regarding trail maintenance days, building new features, etc.. contact Dan from 6202 (president6202@gmail.com) or the Town of Castle Rock POST coordinator (postpartners@CRgov.com). They are always looking for volunteers..
    "Riding is about rhythm and flow. It's the wind in your face and the challenge of hammering up a long hill…" - Gary Klein

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I went to the trails this weekend. Everything is gated off and some of it is still in need of being finished. However, the track should provide enough for every level of rider. The need for bigger jumps is interesting as they seemed plenty big given the layout of the trail and tight corners that follow. The layout would be great for a short travel bike. Too rough to really rail it on a hardtail and a little tight for the big bikes, although I have been off big bikes for a while and still adjusting to the new Reign X.

Pump track is on the small side. It wasn't opened yet, so not sure how it flows or if it is well constructed. It probably needs some more work just looking at it.

I didn't see anything coming off the top of the mesa outside of the XC trail, which is plenty of fun, but not worth a long drive for.

I came on to see why nothing was opened, but guessing that the June 1 date mentioned above is the reason. Would be nice if they posted this at the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Rode the park today. GPS track of the trip, showing the two new downhill tracks, the old track to the top of the mesa, and the loop around the mesa.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=682029

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

We the people ...

Last I talked to the trail planner, things weren't expected to be open and running until middle of next mont. Were all the features completed?

If so, I need to get over there. Gotta remember how to do some of the old street stuff to be implemented on the DH courses

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    Last I talked to the trail planner, things weren't expected to be open and running until middle of next mont. Were all the features completed?

If so, I need to get over there. Gotta remember how to do some of the old street stuff to be implemented on the DH courses
    I can't tell if its open or not. I didn't see any closed signs, but some of the orange plastic barrier net is still blocking off part of it. The closed sign that was at the top of the downhill tracks is now gone, but the post is there, making me wonder if vandals just removed it, or if it really is open.

There are tire tracks all over, so people are using it.

I think they should have connected the new downhill tracks to the dirt road 30 yards above the top of them, added an entrance point to the uphill access trail over by the pedestrian bridge, and connected the new downhill trail to the old trail where they almost intersect anyway, missing by about 20 feet. You can see where the weeds are trampled down. People are going to make this connection happen anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I can't tell if its open or not. I didn't see any closed signs, but some of the orange plastic barrier net is still blocking off part of it. The closed sign that was at the top of the downhill tracks is now gone, but the post is there, making me wonder if vandals just removed it, or if it really is open.

There are tire tracks all over, so people are using it.

I think they should have connected the new downhill tracks to the dirt road 30 yards above the top of them, added an entrance point to the uphill access trail over by the pedestrian bridge, and connected the new downhill trail to the old trail where they almost intersect anyway, missing by about 20 feet. You can see where the weeds are trampled down. People are going to make this connection happen anyway.
    Last time i was up there, they had barriers every 30 feet or so. So unless someone is stripping them down (bad choice on teir part), then it must be getting close. When I wa there, there was a lot of chunky dirt still in the berms and on the lips and landings. also, the one trail wasn'yt finished. Really need to go peep it out again...

Stand back
    Last time i was up there, they had barriers every 30 feet or so. So unless someone is stripping them down (bad choice on teir part), then it must be getting close. When I wa there, there was a lot of chunky dirt still in the berms and on the lips and landings. also, the one trail wasn'yt finished. Really need to go peep it out again...
    I say get in there and clean up the chunky dirt and make it rideable! So long as you're not changing the design, no one should be able to complain.
    Golden Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    If there is a way to get into the track, people will ride it. We've had lots of people riding our stuff even though its not open..
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I say get in there and clean up the chunky dirt and make it rideable! So long as you're not changing the design, no one should be able to complain.

Recomendations for removing the chunks? Thinking maybe a hand tamp, but that will take a while.

There are to be some wall rides and ladders put in, so I don't know if I want to spend the time getting it more rideable (you can ride it on a FS), if they are going in to do more heavy construction. Full time job, upcoming Oly-style weightlifting meet, and college suummer class sort of have my time booked at the moment...but it would be fun t osee how the new bike flies...

mtbr member
    Recomendations for removing the chunks? Thinking maybe a hand tamp, but that will take a while.
    Smashing them down with mountain bike tires is my recommendation.

upcoming Oly-style weightlifting meet,
    Very cool! Not many of those around these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    If there is a way to get into the track, people will ride it. We've had lots of people riding our stuff even though its not open..
    You can't blame them, at least in this case. The trails have been ready for a long time. In April they said they wanted to wait until June 1st just to make sure everything was dry. Well, everything was plenty dry long before that, but June first came around and the closed signs and barriers were still up.

The best thing for those trails would be to have people ride them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0