Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    l i v i n'

Be careful on the way to MOAB...

So I got an email from a few friends that they were randomly selected for a police checkpoint search on the way to Moab last week. They were not speeding and were pulled over and randomly searched as part of a checkpoint. Sure enough they are from Colorado and had a cooler of cold beer, the police officer wrote them a ticket for bootlegging.

I guess this thread is heads up and if anyone else has had this happen. This is total BS and I almost don't want to cross the boarder anymore and say F the state and their BS laws. FLAME ON
    l i v i n'

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by COburns
    They were not speeding and were pulled over and randomly searched as part of a checkpoint. Sure enough they are from Colorado and had a cooler of cold beer, the police officer wrote them a ticket for bootlegging.
    Now I ain't trying to see no highway chase with jake
    Plus I got a few dollars I can fight the case
    So I...pull over to the side of the road
    And I heard "Son do you know why I'm stopping you for?"
    Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hats real low?
    Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don't know.
    Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo?
    "Well you was doing fifty five in a fifty four"
    "License and registration and step out of the car"
    "Are you carrying a weapon on you I know alot of you are"
    I ain't stepping out of shite all my papers legit
    "Do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
    Well my glove compartment is locked so is the trunk and the back
    And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrent for that
    "Aren't you sharp as a tack are some type of lawyer or something?"
    "Or somebody important or something?"
    Nah I ain't pass the bar but I know a little bit
    Enough that you won't illegally search my shite

A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

l i v i n'
    YES ... exactly what I was thinking!
    l i v i n'

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I would have told the officer that unless he has probable cause, then I am not submitting to the search of my vehicle. Probable cause for a search for alcohol or contraband would be like seeing an open container in plain view, or smelling alcohol on a driver who was swerving and is currently slurring when answering questions... right?

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I've heard of them doing that on 191 south of town, basically targeting Ft Lewis spring break kids, but I suppose with all the new lanes and shoulders north of town, they can pull it off w/out buggering traffic.
    I heard crazy stuff, like a spotter up on a hill checking for people who start moving stuff around when they see the Checkpoint Ahead sign. As soon as they see that, bingo, radio ahead, you are def. getting searched.
    Screw that whole focking state.....arrrrg, but the riding and skiing are soo good.

skillz to pay billz
    Last edited by nOOby; 03-28-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Rolling
    Like DWF quoted

Is that legal?

I wanna hear details like if they asked to search the car and was allowed to because as far as I know, your 4th amendment rights are you don't have to consent to search unless there is probable cause. And probable cause is not just a cooler sitting in the back seat. Probable cause is open containers visually seen.

I would have your friend file a complaint with the ACLU.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    2x that
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

l i v i n'
    I sure hope so. He said that it was random something like every 7th car, which makes it legal. I have not clue.. I am just pist because I am going to fruita, moab, and st. george next week and I would have like to brought a few REAL brews along like I always do.
    l i v i n'

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Yo, if DWF is gonna quote some JayZ, then I getz to quote some LL:

What the hell are you lookin for?
    Can't a young man make money anymore?
    Wear my jewels and like freak it on the floor
    Or is it my job to make sure I'm poor?
    Can't my car look better than yours?
    Keep a cigar in between my jaws
    I drink champagne, to hell with Coors
    Never sold coke in my life, I do tours
    Get that flashlight out of my face
    I'm not a dog, so damn it, put away the mace
    I got cash and real attorneys on the case
    You're just a joker perpetratin a ace
    You got time, you wanna give me a taste
    I don't smoke cigarettes, so why you're lookin for base?
    You might plant a gun, and hope I run a race
    Eatin in the messhall, sayin my grace
    You tried to frame me, but it won't work
    Illegal search

mtbr member

checkpoint

Whereabouts was this checkpoint? on 191 north of town? I-70? Cisco?

l i v i n'
    They were caught south of town coming in from tellurie, they skied then headed up for a ride. I haven't heard any word on north of town.

sure enough some moab local jacked my thread in the utah forum and told me not to come to their state. MOAB would not exist without tourism $.

I think I am getting to worked up about this but it really hit my soft spot (ie LIVER)
    l i v i n'

Rolling
    I sure hope so. He said that it was random something like every 7th car, which makes it legal. I have not clue.. I am just pist because I am going to fruita, moab, and st. george next week and I would have like to brought a few REAL brews along like I always do.

I don't believe it it's legal. Sounds like typical cop intimidation tactics. They probably said, "we need to search your car, is it okay?" Once you consent, it's legal.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Is that legal?

I wanna hear details like if they asked to search the car and was allowed to because as far as I know, your 4th amendment rights are you don't have to consent to search unless there is probable cause. And probable cause is not just a cooler sitting in the back seat. Probable cause is open containers visually seen.

I would have your friend file a complaint with the ACLU.
    They can poke their head in the car and open anything within reach of passengers (backpacks, coolers, center consoles, etc.) They cannot force you to open your trunk, but this gets a little vague with station wagons and SUVs where a passenger could reach into the trunk.

BTW, once they have you stopped, "probable cause" is determined by the judge in the local you are in. Of course there are laws and guidelines, but at the end of the day you are at the mercy of the local legal system where "probably cause" might be a green license plate and a bike on the roof....

Edit: and by the way, if the cop ASKS for your permission and you give it to him, you have thrown away your right for a warrant.
    Edit:Edit: should have read Lidarman's post first--he just said that.

mtbr member
    I definitely wont take beer when I do go, but I do kind of want to ask them what their probable cause is for searching my car and see what they say.

Has anyone actually asked them? Make them put it in writing or something. That'd be kind of funny

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hell, I didnt think "random" stops were legal...I pulled you over (in a "free" country) because you were car #7 per my countometer just in case you might be doing something illegal?? Man, our civil liberties are in the sh*tter if that's where things stand...I guess my 3 wives in the back would be cool though.

mtbr member
    I found this! Just an interesting read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-...s_Constitution
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    They can poke their head in the car and open anything within reach of passengers (backpacks, coolers, center consoles, etc.) They cannot force you to open your trunk, but this gets a little vague with station wagons and SUVs where a passenger could reach into the trunk.

BTW, once they have you stopped, "probable cause" is determined by the judge in the local you are in. Of course there are laws and guidelines, but at the end of the day you are at the mercy of the local legal system where "probably cause" might be a green license plate and a bike on the roof....

Edit: and by the way, if the cop ASKS for your permission and you give it to him, you have thrown away your right for a warrant.

Not my understanding. Sure, they can poke head in a look, but they cannot search anything, even if they can reach it, can reach unless you give permission or they have probably cause or a warrant. The problem is most people give permission because the cops word things funny or they want to make things go smoothly.

friend of Apex
    sure enough some moab local jacked my thread in the utah forum and told me not to come to their state.
    That 1st guy has 1 post. Toal troll-dooj

Funny what people will beeoch about in a fake world with made up personas....
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    That 1st guy has 1 post. Toal troll-dooj

Funny what people will beeoch about in a fake world with made up personas....
    So PeeWee, what makes you think my personna is fake? Most of us know each other in the real world.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Not my understanding. Sure, they can poke head in a look, but they cannot search anything, even if they can reach it, can reach unless you give permission or they have probably cause or a warrant. The problem is most people give permission because the cops word things funny or they want to make things go smoothly.

Right! You can tell them no and tell them that they need a search warrant, but this in the end will make life hell for the next few hours. Most people won't deal with this and say okay you can look.

If its open-view (plainview) then they do have probable cause to search.

Sorry, work in the law field.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

l i v i n'
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian

So when I say no officer you may not search my vehicle, then they assume I am hiding something.
    I am a public employee and normally a huge supporter of local law enforcement. I want to know they are there when I need them but things like this make me wonder.

I I am speeding give me a ticket. If I swerving give me a ticket but this just seems like more po dunk cops with nothing better to do.
    l i v i n'

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikergal
    Right! You can tell them no and tell them that they need a search warrant, but this in the end will make life hell for the next few hours. Most people won't deal with this and say okay you can look.

If its open-view (plainview) then they do have probable cause to search.

Sorry, work in the law field.

Agree, and maybe they will if that what gets their jollies. but if you have contraband, and give consent, you are gonna get caught.

Sadly it does come down to the "nothing to hide, give consent, something to hide, make them work for it."

Funny how the law is. You can almost admit to doing something (by seeming to have something to hide) yet get off.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    So PeeWee, what makes you think my personna is fake? Most of us know each other in the real world.
    Pffft
    Guess I'm not that cool to know the cool folk.

But an excellent validation of my point.

Flame on
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Pffft
    Guess I'm not that cool to know the cool folk.

But an excellent validation of my point.

Flame on
    So your point is that your comments about fake worlds & made up personnas only apply to you? I think you fill a much needed gap.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast