Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    l i v i n'

Be careful on the way to MOAB...

So I got an email from a few friends that they were randomly selected for a police checkpoint search on the way to Moab last week. They were not speeding and were pulled over and randomly searched as part of a checkpoint. Sure enough they are from Colorado and had a cooler of cold beer, the police officer wrote them a ticket for bootlegging.

I guess this thread is heads up and if anyone else has had this happen. This is total BS and I almost don't want to cross the boarder anymore and say F the state and their BS laws. FLAME ON
    l i v i n'

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by COburns
    They were not speeding and were pulled over and randomly searched as part of a checkpoint. Sure enough they are from Colorado and had a cooler of cold beer, the police officer wrote them a ticket for bootlegging.
    Now I ain't trying to see no highway chase with jake
    Plus I got a few dollars I can fight the case
    So I...pull over to the side of the road
    And I heard "Son do you know why I'm stopping you for?"
    Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hats real low?
    Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don't know.
    Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo?
    "Well you was doing fifty five in a fifty four"
    "License and registration and step out of the car"
    "Are you carrying a weapon on you I know alot of you are"
    I ain't stepping out of shite all my papers legit
    "Do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
    Well my glove compartment is locked so is the trunk and the back
    And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrent for that
    "Aren't you sharp as a tack are some type of lawyer or something?"
    "Or somebody important or something?"
    Nah I ain't pass the bar but I know a little bit
    Enough that you won't illegally search my shite

A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

l i v i n'
    YES ... exactly what I was thinking!
    l i v i n'

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I would have told the officer that unless he has probable cause, then I am not submitting to the search of my vehicle. Probable cause for a search for alcohol or contraband would be like seeing an open container in plain view, or smelling alcohol on a driver who was swerving and is currently slurring when answering questions... right?

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I've heard of them doing that on 191 south of town, basically targeting Ft Lewis spring break kids, but I suppose with all the new lanes and shoulders north of town, they can pull it off w/out buggering traffic.
    I heard crazy stuff, like a spotter up on a hill checking for people who start moving stuff around when they see the Checkpoint Ahead sign. As soon as they see that, bingo, radio ahead, you are def. getting searched.
    Screw that whole focking state.....arrrrg, but the riding and skiing are soo good.

skillz to pay billz
    Last edited by nOOby; 03-28-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Rolling
    Like DWF quoted

Is that legal?

I wanna hear details like if they asked to search the car and was allowed to because as far as I know, your 4th amendment rights are you don't have to consent to search unless there is probable cause. And probable cause is not just a cooler sitting in the back seat. Probable cause is open containers visually seen.

I would have your friend file a complaint with the ACLU.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    2x that
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

l i v i n'
    I sure hope so. He said that it was random something like every 7th car, which makes it legal. I have not clue.. I am just pist because I am going to fruita, moab, and st. george next week and I would have like to brought a few REAL brews along like I always do.
    l i v i n'

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Yo, if DWF is gonna quote some JayZ, then I getz to quote some LL:

What the hell are you lookin for?
    Can't a young man make money anymore?
    Wear my jewels and like freak it on the floor
    Or is it my job to make sure I'm poor?
    Can't my car look better than yours?
    Keep a cigar in between my jaws
    I drink champagne, to hell with Coors
    Never sold coke in my life, I do tours
    Get that flashlight out of my face
    I'm not a dog, so damn it, put away the mace
    I got cash and real attorneys on the case
    You're just a joker perpetratin a ace
    You got time, you wanna give me a taste
    I don't smoke cigarettes, so why you're lookin for base?
    You might plant a gun, and hope I run a race
    Eatin in the messhall, sayin my grace
    You tried to frame me, but it won't work
    Illegal search

mtbr member

checkpoint

Whereabouts was this checkpoint? on 191 north of town? I-70? Cisco?

l i v i n'
    They were caught south of town coming in from tellurie, they skied then headed up for a ride. I haven't heard any word on north of town.

sure enough some moab local jacked my thread in the utah forum and told me not to come to their state. MOAB would not exist without tourism $.

I think I am getting to worked up about this but it really hit my soft spot (ie LIVER)
    l i v i n'

Rolling
    I sure hope so. He said that it was random something like every 7th car, which makes it legal. I have not clue.. I am just pist because I am going to fruita, moab, and st. george next week and I would have like to brought a few REAL brews along like I always do.

I don't believe it it's legal. Sounds like typical cop intimidation tactics. They probably said, "we need to search your car, is it okay?" Once you consent, it's legal.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Is that legal?

I wanna hear details like if they asked to search the car and was allowed to because as far as I know, your 4th amendment rights are you don't have to consent to search unless there is probable cause. And probable cause is not just a cooler sitting in the back seat. Probable cause is open containers visually seen.

I would have your friend file a complaint with the ACLU.
    They can poke their head in the car and open anything within reach of passengers (backpacks, coolers, center consoles, etc.) They cannot force you to open your trunk, but this gets a little vague with station wagons and SUVs where a passenger could reach into the trunk.

BTW, once they have you stopped, "probable cause" is determined by the judge in the local you are in. Of course there are laws and guidelines, but at the end of the day you are at the mercy of the local legal system where "probably cause" might be a green license plate and a bike on the roof....

Edit: and by the way, if the cop ASKS for your permission and you give it to him, you have thrown away your right for a warrant.
    Edit:Edit: should have read Lidarman's post first--he just said that.

mtbr member
    I definitely wont take beer when I do go, but I do kind of want to ask them what their probable cause is for searching my car and see what they say.

Has anyone actually asked them? Make them put it in writing or something. That'd be kind of funny

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hell, I didnt think "random" stops were legal...I pulled you over (in a "free" country) because you were car #7 per my countometer just in case you might be doing something illegal?? Man, our civil liberties are in the sh*tter if that's where things stand...I guess my 3 wives in the back would be cool though.

mtbr member
    I found this! Just an interesting read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-...s_Constitution
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    They can poke their head in the car and open anything within reach of passengers (backpacks, coolers, center consoles, etc.) They cannot force you to open your trunk, but this gets a little vague with station wagons and SUVs where a passenger could reach into the trunk.

BTW, once they have you stopped, "probable cause" is determined by the judge in the local you are in. Of course there are laws and guidelines, but at the end of the day you are at the mercy of the local legal system where "probably cause" might be a green license plate and a bike on the roof....

Edit: and by the way, if the cop ASKS for your permission and you give it to him, you have thrown away your right for a warrant.

Not my understanding. Sure, they can poke head in a look, but they cannot search anything, even if they can reach it, can reach unless you give permission or they have probably cause or a warrant. The problem is most people give permission because the cops word things funny or they want to make things go smoothly.

friend of Apex
    sure enough some moab local jacked my thread in the utah forum and told me not to come to their state.
    That 1st guy has 1 post. Toal troll-dooj

Funny what people will beeoch about in a fake world with made up personas....
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    That 1st guy has 1 post. Toal troll-dooj

Funny what people will beeoch about in a fake world with made up personas....
    So PeeWee, what makes you think my personna is fake? Most of us know each other in the real world.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Not my understanding. Sure, they can poke head in a look, but they cannot search anything, even if they can reach it, can reach unless you give permission or they have probably cause or a warrant. The problem is most people give permission because the cops word things funny or they want to make things go smoothly.

Right! You can tell them no and tell them that they need a search warrant, but this in the end will make life hell for the next few hours. Most people won't deal with this and say okay you can look.

If its open-view (plainview) then they do have probable cause to search.

Sorry, work in the law field.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

l i v i n'
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian

So when I say no officer you may not search my vehicle, then they assume I am hiding something.
    I am a public employee and normally a huge supporter of local law enforcement. I want to know they are there when I need them but things like this make me wonder.

I I am speeding give me a ticket. If I swerving give me a ticket but this just seems like more po dunk cops with nothing better to do.
    l i v i n'

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikergal
    Right! You can tell them no and tell them that they need a search warrant, but this in the end will make life hell for the next few hours. Most people won't deal with this and say okay you can look.

Agree, and maybe they will if that what gets their jollies. but if you have contraband, and give consent, you are gonna get caught.

Sadly it does come down to the "nothing to hide, give consent, something to hide, make them work for it."

Funny how the law is. You can almost admit to doing something (by seeming to have something to hide) yet get off.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    So PeeWee, what makes you think my personna is fake? Most of us know each other in the real world.
    Pffft
    Guess I'm not that cool to know the cool folk.

But an excellent validation of my point.

Flame on

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Pffft

Flame on
    So your point is that your comments about fake worlds & made up personnas only apply to you? I think you fill a much needed gap.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Pffft

Flame on
    Weren't you referring to the guy in the Utah forums?
    Now with more vitriol!

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Weren't you referring to the guy in the Utah forums?

Yeah, the guy with ONE post.

lots of flames around lately, makes work go by though

ride
    I went to Moab last fall for the Turner Homer fest. I brought 20 cases of beer from Dale. I asked Dale about it. He said that if you're bringing it to give away or for personal consumption, it's legal and they have researched it thouroughly. They take the Oskar's RV and beer trucks lots of places like that. Not that Dale is a lawyer or anything...

Whatever, though. One more vote for Fruita/GJ!
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Now I ain't trying to see no highway chase with jake
    Plus I got a few dollars I can fight the case
    So I...pull over to the side of the road
    And I heard "Son do you know why I'm stopping you for?"
    Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hats real low?
    Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don't know.
    Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo?
    "Well you was doing fifty five in a fifty four"
    "License and registration and step out of the car"
    "Are you carrying a weapon on you I know alot of you are"
    I ain't stepping out of shite all my papers legit
    "Do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
    Well my glove compartment is locked so is the trunk and the back
    And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrent for that
    "Aren't you sharp as a tack are some type of lawyer or something?"
    "Or somebody important or something?"
    Nah I ain't pass the bar but I know a little bit
    Enough that you won't illegally search my shite

You got 99 problems... and a beotch ain't one!!!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    I went to Moab last fall for the Turner Homer fest. I brought 20 cases of beer from Dale. I asked Dale about it. He said that if you're bringing it to give away or for personal consumption, it's legal and they have researched it thouroughly. They take the Oskar's RV and beer trucks lots of places like that. Not that Dale is a lawyer or anything...

Whatever, though. One more vote for Fruita/GJ!
    Sure Dale researched it well?

It's appears you can't unless you have two residences, are a foreign visitor, get it from inheritance or foreign diplomat. (I guess you were the Dales PA diplomat)

from http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Olympi.../oly_faqs.html

"MAY I BRING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES INTO UTAH ?
    No. Under Utah law "alcoholic beverages" include all hard liquor, spirits, wine and beer. Beer and other malt beverage products that exceed 3.2% alcohol by weight or 4.0% by volume are considered "liquor", and beer with an alcohol content of 3.2% or less is defined as "beer".

Utah is a control state, and only the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (DABC) may lawfully have liquor products imported and shipped into Utah. Private individuals may not lawfully import or transport them into the state. Manufacturers and suppliers of these products may only supply them to the DABC. Only the DABC through its state liquor stores, package agencies, licensees and permittees may sell liquor products in Utah. Possession of liquor products not purchased from the DABC is strictly prohibited. Also, licensed restaurants and private clubs cannot allow patrons to bring wines onto the premises if they were not purchased in Utah. Other Utah laws prohibit the unlawful importation of beer products into Utah.

There are very few exceptions to these laws. A person coming from a foreign country who clears U.S. customs in Utah may possess, for personal consumption, two liter bottles of liquor purchased outside of Utah. Also, a person who moves his permanent residence to Utah or maintains separate residences both in and out of Utah, may possess for personal consumption, and not for sale or resale, liquor purchased outside of Utah. However, the person must first obtain DABC approval prior to moving to Utah; and upon the arrival of the product, the DABC will affix the Utah label to the liquor for an administrative handling fee. A person may not obtain approval from the DABC under this exception more than once. A person may possess for personal consumption, and not for sale or resale, liquor inherited as part of an estate that is located outside the state and brought it into Utah, after obtaining the approval from the DABC and paying the required administrative handling fee.

Finally, accredited foreign diplomatic missions that establish a mission presence in Utah may ship, possess and purchase alcoholic beverages under certain exceptions granted under the Vienna Conventions on Diplomatic and Consular Relations. For more information, click here.

Unless one of these exceptions applies, it is clear you may not bring alcoholic beverages into Utah for any purpose whether it be for personal consumption, to serve at your hospitality house or at a private social function, or to give or sell to others."
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-28-2008 at 11:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I saw alcohol laws in the U.S.

Utah states "No alcohol served on Election Day until 8PM. No alcohol served in restaurants without purchase of food."

Courteous of Wikipedia.com

I just thought this was funny. I only saw one other state and that is Indiana (unless Puerto Rico counts) then two.

I have to say Missouri has the most restrictive state with the most rules to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Folks:

If you get pulled:

as other have said, #1 Don't consent to a search

#2: Try telling the cop that you are just traveling through Utah. ie. going to Mexican Hat, Wyoming or Boise or somewhere. Because, as I read the statute, its illegal to transport prohibited beverages into Screwtah, but not illegal to transport through Utah.

l i v i n'
    I am so glad we all support my second past time of drinking!
    l i v i n'

mtbr member
    Well I will chime in as I lived in Utah for 10 years....the laws are different there and a lot of what others have stated about probable cause do not always apply. I am not sure about the Moab area, but I lived in Big Cottonwood Canyon for a few years and they used to set up a checkpoint in the canyon and search every vehicle for drugs. Initially I thought how can this be legal, but within Utah state law all they had to do was announce the checkpoint in the legal section of the newspaper (in very small print) and it was all legit within the state laws. They even had drug dogs present. Like I said not sure if this was a similar situation, but this stuff does go on in Utah.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Car-bahn-duh-lay
    Folks:

If you get pulled:

as other have said, #1 Don't consent to a search

#2: Try telling the cop that you are just traveling through Utah. ie. going to Mexican Hat, Wyoming or Boise or somewhere. Because, as I read the statute, its illegal to transport prohibited beverages into Screwtah, but not illegal to transport through Utah.

I'm still trying to figure that out because what I read, posted above, it's not clear that you can get away with just going through Utah.

The other thing I am trying to understand but can't find the info anywhere is if, there is a checkpoint ahead where they search cars, and they have a sign before it stating your car will be searched, does it make it legal. It seems possible because maybe you are giving consent by entering the checkpoint because you were warned ahead of time.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    Well I will chime in as I lived in Utah for 10 years....the laws are different there and a lot of what others have stated about probable cause do not always apply. I am not sure about the Moab area, but I lived in Big Cottonwood Canyon for a few years and they used to set up a checkpoint in the canyon and search every vehicle for drugs. Initially I thought how can this be legal, but within Utah state law all they had to do was announce the checkpoint in the legal section of the newspaper (in very small print) and it was all legit within the state laws. They even had drug dogs present. Like I said not sure if this was a similar situation, but this stuff does go on in Utah.
    Your 4th amendment rights are never superceded by a state law. However, maybe having the warning like you said, allows the consent to be enabled. You posted that just before I posted realizing that.

I'm spending a lot of time on this because I go to Utah a lot. And I like the fine pleasures Colorado in Utah.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I'm still trying to figure that out because what I read, posted above, it's not clear that you can get away with just going through Utah.

The other thing I am trying to understand but can't find the info anywhere is if, there is a checkpoint ahead where they search cars, and they have a sign before it stating your car will be searched, does it make it legal. It seems possible because maybe you are giving consent by entering the checkpoint because you were warned ahead of time.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2CGpURoC_lo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2CGpURoC_lo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Rolling
    DWF, never saw that movie...funny how they had to do tokyo drifting to make it appeal to the new school.

rebuttal....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PVDdyPFFtbA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PVDdyPFFtbA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

"Hey bandit, This is little Beaver. Put your foot on the floor, we got your back door."

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I downloaded the theme song to Smokey and the Bandit a few days ago.

"The boys are thirsty in Atlanta, and theres beer in Texarkana"

edit: Great minds...and all that eh Rich?

2nd edit: I invented a Smokey and the Bandit drinking game. It rules. As does Burt Reynolds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

generally, roadside checkpoints for things other than sobriety are of dubious legality. A sobriety checkpoint does not require a vehicle search. Cops still need pc or consent to search your vehicle.

Here are the applicable statutes re: transportation.

32A-12-504. Unlawful transportation.
    It is unlawful for any person, including a motor carrier, or any officer, agent, or employee of a motor carrier, to order or purchase any alcoholic product or to cause any alcoholic product to be shipped, carried, or transported into this state, or from one place to another within this state except as otherwise authorized by this title.

32A-12-505. Lawful transportation.
    Nothing contained in Section 32A-12-504 prohibits any carrier from:
    (1) transporting alcoholic products in the course of export from the state; or
    (2) transporting alcoholic products across any part of this state while in transit pursuant to a bona fide consignment of the alcoholic products to a person outside of this state.

Arent you are selling that beer to your buddy in Kayenta because he can't buy that brand in Az?

Which way? Uphill.
    This is interesting as far as I know you have to have probably cause as everyone has said, so you can refuse the search.

If they pull the old "You must have something to hide if you don't consent" you can pull out "The US supreme court has ruled that the exercision of one's rights is not grounds for probable cause." (too lazy to look up the case in which this was decided)

Though I believe they can still detain you for a while and get drug-sniffing dogs and such. If a dog hits on anything that will be their probable cause. I don't thinks dogs are trained to smell unopened beer though.

Would a cooler in the car be considered probable cause for bootlegging?

Utah laws are weird though and I wouldn't be surprised if they go over the heads of federal laws, or at least push into a gray area.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    I downloaded the theme song to Smokey and the Bandit a few days ago.

"The boys are thirsty in Atlanta, and theres beer in Texarkana"

edit: Great minds...and all that eh Rich?

2nd edit: I invented a Smokey and the Bandit drinking game. It rules. As does Burt Reynolds.
    Sad. I grew up with CBs because my dad owned a wrecker service. My handle was firefly! Can you believe I even had a dorky handle when I was 10 years old.

Some things never change good buddy.

Like to know the rules to smokey and the bandit game, do you have to say breaker 19 before you talk or you drink?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    DWF, never saw that movie...funny how they had to do tokyo drifting to make it appeal to the new school.

rebuttal....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PVDdyPFFtbA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PVDdyPFFtbA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

"Hey bandit, This is little Beaver. Put your foot on the floor, we got your back door."
    Trust me, you're not missing anything by not seeing that movie. Burt's TransAm is gay as was Smoky & the Bandit although Jackie Gleason was prime ("Junior, the foist thing I'm gonna' do when I get home is punch your mamma' right in the mouth! There is no way you sprung from my loins!). I'm going to see if I can find a clip from Gator....

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    ....I'm going to see if I can find a clip from Gator....
    Nothing yet, this will have to hold you over...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNDovhdzEOw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNDovhdzEOw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    This is interesting as far as I know you have to have probably cause as everyone has said, so you can refuse the search.

If they pull the old "You must have something to hide if you don't consent" you can pull out "The US supreme court has ruled that the exercision of one's rights is not grounds for probable cause." (too lazy to look up the case in which this was decided)

Though I believe they can still detain you for a while and get drug-sniffing dogs and such. If a dog hits on anything that will be their probable cause. I don't thinks dogs are trained to smell unopened beer though.

Would a cooler in the car be considered probable cause for bootlegging?

Utah laws are weird though and I wouldn't be surprised if they go over the heads of federal laws, or at least push into a gray area.

One thing I did learn about Utah law, is if you get a traffic citation and you refuse to sign it, they can ether write refused to sign and give to you anyway (like most states) or arrest you--cops choice. I learned that when I saw a story on a guy who was tasered because he refused to sign--then later sued.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    got it!
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3xeEdOrteX0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3xeEdOrteX0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Perpetually single track
    I'm spending a lot of time on this because I go to Utah a lot. And I like the fine pleasures Colorado in Utah.
    Looks like you'll be needing to store the goods in your door panels on the wait out...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They were doing this way back in 1990 (especially in Spring). A friend was driving in around 9:00 at night and 7-10 vehicles were pulled over North of Moab. He described it as a roadside liquor store- cases, 12 packs, kegs, bottles everywhere that had been confiscated.
    Everytime I go there (only 4 times now) I think of his story and have never seen it myself but I've always gone in Fall.

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    Funny, I was just in Moab this week, and decided to try the official State Liquor Store instead of my usual bootlegging (and no, I didn't see a checkpoint, but I did hear about them last year). They didn't check for my special underwear or even card me, and the prices were the same as Colorado (but I can't speak for the beer selection, I was just buying Bourbon).

Honestly, I'm now a little Moab'd out anyway, and if they're going to try increasing revenue through quasi-legal police checkpoints and unwarranted searches, I'll just be more tempted to explore more around here.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    I am disappointed when I see all of the efforts law enforcement goes through to discard this amendment.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Looks like you'll be needing to store the goods in your door panels on the wait out...
    I think Dales Pale fits in these boxes nicely. :P...But caffeine is prolly illegal in Utahl too so I better get some sprite boxes instead.

Last edited by lidarman; 03-28-2008 at 01:31 PM.

ride
    I remember reading about a cop scam that went to the Supreme Court a few years ago. It was ruled illegal. The specific case was from OK, but they implemented similar tactics in Telluride. It's not the same as the Moab deal, but a good read anyway. Here's the gist:

Telluride Bluegrass Fest. On the way into town, the cops have a sign by the road that says something like "vehicle checkpoint ahead." When most of the bluegrass folks saw the sign, they would toss out all of their illegals like weed, pipes, etc. The cops had some of their own in camo hiding in the ditch right past the sign. As soon as they would see someone toss their stash, they'd note the license number and radio ahead to the other po-lice. There never was a real "checkpoint," but the cops would pull over the offending vehicles for littering and illegal possession.

I kinda figured Dale wasn't exactly 100% with his lawyerin' but I wasn't too worried. Guess I won't do that again!
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I don't even drink beer (!)

but if I'm one of the Lucky Seventh they'll probably be so pissed at not finding any in my vehicle they'll bust me for an open thermos of coffee. One thing I've found is that cops just don't have a sense of humor when they pull you over. Their training makes them think ANY peep is the one who's going to cause a ruckus.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

l i v i n'
    Ok so I have come to a very logical conclusion to this thread.

1. God will punish me for bringing booze to the great state of Utah.

2. God will punish UTAH for not serving me booze and bring in WAL-MART to Moab (cross discussion from the passion forum.)

I can't figure out if it is one or two yet?
    l i v i n'

Which way? Uphill.
    One thing I did learn about Utah law, is if you get a traffic citation and you refuse to sign it, they can ether write refused to sign and give to you anyway (like most states) or arrest you--cops choice. I learned that when I saw a story on a guy who was tasered because he refused to sign--then later sued.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you lose your license if you don't sign the ticket here in CO?
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Can't you just tell them you bought the stuff at the state liquor store?

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Can't you just tell them you bought the stuff at the state liquor store?
    Anything purchased from a Utah state liquor store will have a tax sticker on it. I think it even says something like "unlawful to remove" on it.

Auto Racer
    Interesting thread. I forwarded to an attorney friend of mine who responded:

Well, I canít say as to Utah state law on the 4th Amendment. Colorado provides you greater protections than the federal 4th but states are not permitted to deviate below the protections afforded by the 4th as interpreted by the US Supreme Court. Hence, Utah canít make it easier to search vehicles in violation of any US Supreme Court pronouncements. Checkpoints are of dubious legality PERIOD and the only way Iíve heard of them being upheld is for sobriety checkpoints. First off, never consent to sh*t..i mean a search. Second, the standard isnít Ďprobable causeí but is actually Ďarticulable suspicioní based on the fact that a car is something that can be transported. The probable cause standard applies to a residence but since you ride in a car on public roads, your expectation of privacy is diminished and the standard upon which they can search is somewhat lower than probable cause. The key here is really your expectation of privacy, hence, keeping coolers in the trunk and out of view is of utmost importance. The better you hide your sh*t, the higher an expectation of privacy you have.

My advice would be to be as courteous as possible if confronted with the situation but decline to permit your vehicle to be searched and ask the officer to articulate the basis upon which they believe a search is warranted or the law they suspect you to be in violation of. Considering that the cops admitted not having any valid reason to pull the cars over, the legality of any such search is highly questionable. Once they have you for even a minor traffic violation, ie not wearing a seat belt, failing to signal while merging, etc, etc, they have a valid reason to stop and question you and anything suspicious they find in that time may provide them with sufficient suspicion which can later be articulated to a judge which would make the evidence found admissible.
    Hi Rich and Kristian - long time no ride together. Hope you guys are doing swell.

This is how it started...
    That was scarier than a roadside check point.

mtbr member
    They were caught south of town coming in from tellurie, they skied then headed up for a ride. I haven't heard any word on north of town.

sure enough some moab local jacked my thread in the utah forum and told me not to come to their state. MOAB would not exist without tourism $.

I think I am getting to worked up about this but it really hit my soft spot (ie LIVER)
    Utah would exist without tourism. The federal government gives the State a bunch of money to manage their uranuim mining related superfund sites. My wife is getting paid big bucks by the state of Utah to design a new location for that radioactive pile sitting on the bank of the Colorado river north of Moab. They're going to move it up near I-70 so it doesn't wash into the river. And when did this "Moab local" move there from Denver? Last fall? I'm rambling...

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsantacruzer
    That was scarier than a roadside check point.
    You mean that 'incident' you and I know about?

Passenger: "Nice California stop"
    Driver: "That wasn't even a California stop."

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Does this mean the 3.2% growler i left moab with is also considered bootlegging weak beer into the state of CO?
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Does this mean the 3.2% growler i left moab with is also considered bootlegging weak beer into the state of CO?

Huge Crime. You have to spend the next six months buying beer at King Soopers as punishment.

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Anything purchased from a Utah state liquor store will have a tax sticker on it. I think it even says something like "unlawful to remove" on it.
    I wondered what that tag was. I almost took it off just to spite the Church and State of Utah, but I wasn't too sure how badly they treat nonbelievers in detention (well, and I had a sneaking suspicion about the bootlegging thing).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Simple Solution...

Just tell the Officer that you are on a Mission and that Brigham has personally directed you to bring special Sacraments purchased from the Heathens to the Land of Plenty as they are having an Altar Boy indoctrination and these libations are necessary to test the De-Pants-O-Bilities (committment) of the new recruits. After all the church mice do have some sick video tapes of the debauchery. All sub-missions and young boys are the cure for what ails the old men in Black robes with that lil sumthin special to show the world.

Alternatively,
    Woop de doo...They can setup all the roadblocks they want if will reduce DUI.
    Last edited by CSPRINGS; 04-01-2008 at 06:13 AM.
    C.SPRINGS

banned
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 3nf
    ...the Church and State of Utah...
    Many comments in this thread made me rofl, but none as much as this. Thanks. Henceforth, I shall forever refer to Utah (in all instances) as "the Church and State of Utah".

Also, I used to be a cop and we were trained at talking/coercing/humoring/charming people into giving consent to search their vehicles. Many of my friends are cops, but IN GENERAL, I strongly dislike the po-leece and their secret little club. Wanna get out of a DUI? Become a cop.

Rolling
    dragging this on....

a long video (45 minutes). Entertaining, maybe over the top, but informative.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqMjMPlXzdA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqMjMPlXzdA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you lose your license if you don't sign the ticket here in CO?
    I recently got a ticket for speeding and they didn't even ask for my signature. After running my info, just handed me the ticket.

contains quinine
    I'd tell 'em I'm on a mission from God.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjGfnsjdJec&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjGfnsjdJec&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

From Colorado to Colorado City

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_City,_Arizona

(Or not)
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

We got into Moab ok, now we just gotta get out....?

Utah Highway Patrol camera, shows jared massey being tasered.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NH_qVJfaYZA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NH_qVJfaYZA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ed

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    We got into Moab ok, now we just gotta get out....?

Utah Highway Patrol camera, shows jared massey being tasered.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NH_qVJfaYZA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NH_qVJfaYZA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ed
    WOW! He showed incredible restraint. If that had happen to me I'd be dead as I'd have tried to throw the a hole into traffic

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wow, I am becoming less and less of a fan of "The Church and State of Utah". How that state continues to offer the weird **** it still does in 2008 is beyond me. I have to go to St. George soon, and I'll leave the beer at home. I've driven all over the central part of the country, but Utah is the only back ass-ward place where I got pulled over for D.A.M., "driving a Mercedes"! Apparently I upset the sensibilities of some local yokels near Green River when I leisurely passed a speed trap in my AMG toy with the cruise set on the speed limit (not usual for me, but I had wife and two toddlers in the back). I saw one cop blast off after someone who went speeding by them, then a minute later the second car chased me down to my amazement! The guy asked for papers, went back to his car for a minute, came back and hemmed and hawed about my lack of a front plate. I told the poor bastard that I did not need a front plate in my home state, and he had no right to enforce a plate law that was out of his provenance. After that the genius started probing about the tint on the windows. I onformed him the the Mercedes factory delivered the car to me the way it was and he could take it up with them if he cared to. After several more minutes of being stopped for no reason, the a-hole let me continue safely on my way with my family.

edit:Wow...just watched John Gardner arrest Jared Massey in the video above....that was disgusting. God help me if I saw that cop stranded in the desert by himself.
    Last edited by zevy voom; 03-29-2008 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    www.acluutah.org/ltr051203.htm

Utah vs Abell. Memorize that. The gist of it is a checkpoint must have one very specific purpose, i.e. sobriety or a driver's license. Anything beyond that, like a general vehicle search, is unconstitutional as determined by Utah's supreme court.

As for the state liquor stores in Utah I just hate buying booze from a cop. And the beer in those places is ridiculously expensive. You have to buy it by the bottle (if its over 3.2) and it's a least $1.50 if I remember right. And they don't have O'Dells.

pain intolerant
    This is no excuse for Utah's liquor laws, but you can buy real beer in Moab at the state run liquor store...

http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/utah/m...re-27/4373.htm

just ride
    Alright -

So since I am heading to Moab in a few weeks, lets get a few things straight.

If there is a chance that entering the checkpoint by passing a prior sign is consent, then would it be legal to stop prior to the sign, and turn around? In essence, denying consent by not entering? I know this will get you f'd for DUI checkpoints, but what about this?

Lets say I do enter, and do get stopped. I deny search. Cops says wait for warrant. How exactly do they plan to get a warrant if they didnt have enough to do the search right away? And if they do, is there any way to deny a warrant if they made something up or dont have a good reason for it?

Oh, and if they ask if there is liquor on board (I know they can just ask), it is legal to lie to a cop, right? Just as it is legal for them to lie to you in questioning.... No stiffer penalty if you lie and then get caught?

Strangely enough, I was on a road trip last spring from MX to BC, and I stopped through Moab for some riding. Had some 20+ liters of tequila in the truck. Good thing they didnt stop me on that one.
    Steel is Real: www.advocatecycles.com
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Oy, the lawyer in me is somewhat cringing at everyone's 4A interpretation.

Edmunds v. Indiana is the leading case regarding checkpoints. Under the United States Constitution, the police cannot set-up a check point to stop folks to search "for random crime." However, police can set-up a check point to search for, in this case, bootlegged booze, so long as the selection of individuals is consistent (i.e., searching every car or every third car, etc.).

cheeseburger in paradise
    wow, that video is quit disturbing. We got pulled over for going 58 in a 55 once in Utah. Verbally assaulted the idiot cop for a bit then went on our way.

Gona be in Utah this next week and may have to stash the beer a bit better.
    singlecrack

Fearing the Reaper
    This whole situation sucks. I go to Moab often (there this past week) and the moment I see the "Leaving Colorful Colorado" sign, its all business until I'm starting a campfire.

I'm going to have to post my opinion on this subject. If you have something to hide, by all means, do NOT give consent. Present yourself in a calm, rational manner, and stick to your wits. I have looked a Highway Patrol right in the eyes and say "No, sir, you may not search my vehicle." After some frustration on his part, we went our merry ways. Not always the case, obviously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I don't think there's too much to worry about here. I've been to Moab from colorado at least 25 times and I've never seen a random checkpoint. They are rare, and, like someone said before, this one was probably a springbreak type of thing. idk, as much as i dislike cops, Colorado has far far more of them than utah, and i must say every cop interaction i've had in Utah has been really positive. (I hate authority and it's hard to write that but it's true...) as opposed to CO cops who all seem to be a$$hats.

I was in the car when my buddy got pulled over leaving Monticello at like 15 over the speed limit. We could see the 55 limit sign down the road a ways, told the cop that, he gave us a warning instead of a ticket, and then he was like "just make sure you watch your speed in town, boys."

As for the laws themselves, they're obviously effed, and if you get caught with drugs yer in some trouble!

But all said, a random search for contraband is unconstitutional and you have the right to refuse. This went to Utah's supreme court and the state lost.

...and don't forget - you're going through utah, not to utah!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele

Edmunds v. Indiana is the leading case regarding checkpoints. Under the United States Constitution, the police cannot set-up a check point to stop folks to search "for random crime." However, police can set-up a check point to search for, in this case, bootlegged booze, so long as the selection of individuals is consistent (i.e., searching every car or every third car, etc.).
    I hate acronyms. I suppose 'cause I'm dense. What does "4A" mean?

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by feathed
    I hate acronyms. I suppose 'cause I'm dense. What does "4A" mean?
    Fourth Amendment (protection from search and seizure)
    Steel is Real: www.advocatecycles.com
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    Fourth Amendment (protection from search and seizure)
    Thanks much. That's obviously not very important to most Americans these days. If it was G.W. and the rest of his criminals would at the very least have already been in jail for years.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele

Ok, Now I'm getting frustrated with this.

It's crazy that most of us in this thread really don't agree on our rights. That is sad if we represent any bit of the American population.

Sure, the bottom line is don't break the law, then this question is unnecessary. But as a citizen, I have a right to know the law, and in fact, I have an obligation to know the law. However, all the research I have done, I still cannot clarify where it's legal to have a checkpoint to search, even if it's specific. Two apparent law posts are in this thread that contradict each other.

What I want to know is if it is legal to have a checkpoint to search, where is the law stated. And do they have to have a sign ahead of the checkpoint indicating it whereas turning around is refusing consent? Otherwise this is a huge loophole in the 4A rights and as ridiculous as Bush's domestic spy BS.

But why should I be surprised....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ok, Now I'm getting frustrated with this.

It's crazy that most of us in this thread really don't agree on our rights. That is sad if we represent any bit of the American population.

Sure, the bottom line is don't break the law, then this question is unnecessary. But as a citizen, I have a right to know the law, and in fact, I have an obligation to know the law. However, all the research I have done, I still cannot clarify where it's legal to have a checkpoint to search, even if it's specific. Two apparent law posts are in this thread that contradict each other.

What I want to know is if it is legal to have a checkpoint to search, where is the law stated. And do they have to have a sign ahead of the checkpoint indicating it whereas turning around is refusing consent? Otherwise this is a huge loophole in the 4A rights and as ridiculous as Bush's domestic spy BS.

But why should I be surprised....
    All the Fourth Amendment protects you from is illegal searches and seizures. So according to the Supreme Court's jurisprudence, a checkpoint is valid under Edmunds v. Indiana, if they are "seizing" you and "searching" you in a specific, and non-arbitrary fashion. But what a case like Terry v. Ohio will tell you is that absent probable cause, the search must be measured to the ill it seeks to protect. As an example, the UT police cannot set up a checkpoint to search for illegal booze and then tear your car apart looking for ganja. However, should they find illegal booze in your car, they could then expand the scope of the search to look for drugs, etc.

The law is what the Supreme Court says the law is because they are the only body of government given the power to interpret the Constitution. The Fourth Amendment is, therefore, troublesome for two reasons. First, it is not self-executing. You rarely say that you're exercising your Fourth Amendment rights. The Fourth Amendment usually comes into play after you've been arrested, charged, and brought to trial. Thus, you've incurred a tremendous amount of personal anguish and expense to execute a right given to you by the Constitution. This is why most legal scholars believe the Fourth Amendment is truly a legal fiction. It exists in the text of the Constitution, but not in this little place called reality.

Second, what is most dangerous regarding Fourth Amendment jurisprudence is not necessarily what Shrub and cronies have done with respect to domestic spying, but what the conservative wing of the Supreme Court seeks to do with respect to the 4A. As long as it has existed, the remedy for a 4A violation has been the exclusion of that evidence illegally obtained (subject to certain exceptions). However, recent Court jurisprudence indicates that a majority within the Court may want to do away with this remedy. In its place, they hope that folks will instead rely on the remedy of filing civil rights charges against police officials.

Constitutional criminal procedure is arguably one of the most obtuse and difficult areas of the law.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Laws don't work like that. There is no law saying specifically that you can't search. The bill of rights are not laws, but rules that judges use to interpret the actions of the government. It is up to an individual judge to determine what fits with what. In this case, we have two specific precedents (in Indiana and Utah) stating that whereas a checkpoint relating to non-specific general crime is unconstitutional, one with a specific, narrow objective is allowed. There is room for a lot of interpretation on that, but if the stated objective of the checkpoint is to find booze, and that's what they find, you're screwed. Anything else they find, if you have a good lawyer, can be suppressed in court AS LONG AS YOU ADMIT TO NOTHING! Being that interstate commerce is not affected, the state supreme court is as high as you can go on something like this.

In this Moab scenario, I would be refusing even if I had nothing on me (which is doubtful...) just to see how they handle it. Make that cop work for it if he's gonna do a search.

The fact of the matter here is that if a cop wants to search you bad enough he's going to do it and your screwed. By all means refuse the search and make him breach your rights. Then best you can hope for is to battle it out in court and win.

In the meantime, as I said before I've never seen a checkpoint in Utah anywhere. I know they happen - we should all be sure to post them when someone comes across one.
    Last edited by andykrow; 04-07-2008 at 09:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by andykrow
    Being that interstate commerce is not affected, the state supreme court is as high as you can go on something like this.
    You've made good points, but I'm sorry this is just not true. There are plenty of avenues to federal court to challenge a constitutional violation by state bodies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sorry, just going by my Poli-sci / Constitutional law girlfriend on that one...

mtbr member

No good

I've had interesting interactions with the law in Utah before as well. Fly fishing on the Green In Dagget County, a "spotter" was involved in the parking lot in the middle of no-where. I won't go into it but as others have said, I don't go to Utah too much any more. Plenty of riding and fishing in other states that aren't out to hassle you.

My brother guides out there from time to time and has many other similar stories.

Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    In my experience, there are two "police" states in this country: Utah and Indiana (ever been to a Dead or Phish show at Deer Creek?)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ahh phish at deer creek. You bring me back to my old high school days.... I think in reality the cops were excited as hell when Phish came in with all the BS $400+ herb tickets they used to give out at that place. Never seen so many narcs in one place.

IDK though - everywhere with rich people seems to be a police state these days. My bud just got a ticket in the Fort for 5 over the limit. Not even a school zone. That's just ridiculous, and the Fort Cops say they're short staffed!! Cop tried to tell him he wasn't a safe driver at that speed and my buddy just went off.

I think this bad crap happens everywhere and it's just bad luck. Last time at Bartlett's we had piles of booze and beer out everywhere. The ranger came up to talk for a while and his only concern was that we had the portable toilets (which we did.) And my crew tends to look like a thorough search would be fruitful to say the least.

A new mexico cop screwed me over but I just took the ticket and paid it. Illegal search, but for me it wasn't worth the court costs, etc, to fight it, and there governor had made herb a $120 non-traffic misdemeanor recently.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    As has been mentioned, just save yourself the extra 180-200mi round trip in time, gas and hassle and stop in Fruita/GJ instead. The riding overall is much better IMO. I stopped going to Moab a while back after a Fruita trip. You also do not have to deal with any of the 'It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand' rednecks.

Shattering Glass
    Who care's, Moab is Moab and no 5-0 is going to stop me from living my dreams. I got pulled over 70% more in Jersey for doing far less rampaging than I do here. I would never consent though.

learning2rde
    Feb 2008

What about the beer

I was not aware it is considered bootlegging to have beer in your car when you go through Utah?
    Not sure I understand this part of this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bring your brews and if you get pulled, tell the cop you are headed somewhere outside of Utah...Las Vegas...AZ...whatever.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by tankrum
    I was not aware it is considered bootlegging to have beer in your car when you go through Utah?

bootleg

transitive verb
    1 a: to carry (alcoholic liquor) on one's person illegally b: to manufacture, sell, or transport for sale (alcoholic liquor) illegally2 a: to produce, reproduce, or distribute illicitly or without authorization b: smuggle

another source

Bootlegging: To make, sell, or transport (alcoholic liquor) illegally.

mtbr member
    I also found this! Here is the link too http://sbi.utah.gov/alcohol_faq.html#import

Can I bring alcoholic beverages into Utah from another state?

No, with some exceptions. It is ILLEGAL to go to another state, purchase the booze and bring it back to Utah. It is ILLEGAL to receive alcoholic beverages through the US Postal service or any other courier service. The exceptions are listed below.

Utah code annotated 32a-12-212 states, "A person may not have or possess within this state any liquor unless authorized by this title or the rules of the commission, except that: (a) a person who clears United States Customs when entering this country may have or possess for personal consumption and not for sale or resale, a maximum amount of one liter of liquor purchased from without the United States; or (b) a person who moves his residence to this state from outside of this state may have or possess for personal consumption and not for sale or resale, any liquor previously purchased outside the state and brought into this state during the move, if: (i) the person first obtains department approval prior to moving the liquor into the state; (ii) the department affixes the official state label to the liquor; and (iii) the person pays the department a reasonable administrative handling fee as determined by the commission
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

learning2rde
    Feb 2008
    That still does not make sense that you can not have alcohol in your car that you intend on drinking or simply driving through. Is it illegal to have alcohol in Utah?

mtbr member
    That still does not make sense that you can not have alcohol in your car that you intend on drinking or simply driving through. Is it illegal to have alcohol in Utah?
    Read my post. I replied to your first post.

With all being said, won't stop me from enjoying a nice cold one after a great ride. Did it few weeks ago and felt GREAT!
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

learning2rde
    Feb 2008
    This seems like a very touchy law. It seems they would only have grounds if the checkpoint was at the border.
    Secondly how would they know your destination is Utah. I would think you can go say to Nevada and that would be no concern to Utah.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    With all being said, won't stop me from enjoying a nice cold one after a great ride. Did it few weeks ago and felt GREAT!
    Okay either you're not riding enough or you're not drinking enough.

mtbr member
    This seems like a very touchy law. It seems they would only have grounds if the checkpoint was at the border.
    Secondly how would they know your destination is Utah. I would think you can go say to Nevada and that would be no concern to Utah.

Hmmm its Utah!

I think it does matter, if your driving through the state your breaking their laws. But that would be just my opinion. So ride on and don't worry to much about it. If anything you get a ticket out of it. Sucks but, at least you still had a good time!!!!
    Last edited by Bikergal; 04-02-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0