Thread: Cardio?

mtbr member

Cardio?

So what's the best way to get into shape as far as cardio goes? Trying to ride Devils Backbone today I was dieing at times and it was just because cardio, I have the leg strength. I just run out of air.

What do you guys and girls do? Any help on this would be great?

Thanks, Michael
    2004 Trek Fuel Carbon Fiber
    1991 Trek 830

Front Range XC

I run.

If I can't mtb or road ride, like most of the winter, I run. I used to swim, however now my goal while swimming is an efficient relaxed stroke rather then working hard.

Its not easy to jump on a mtb ride after a long snow induced hiatus and be in top form even if one's running. The sports only translate to one another to a point.

Marc

Shattering Glass
    Keep at it. It comes in time.

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by humdinger4u
    So what's the best way to get into shape as far as cardio goes? Trying to ride Devils Backbone today I was dieing at times and it was just because cardio, I have the leg strength. I just run out of air.

What do you guys and girls do? Any help on this would be great?

Thanks, Michael

LSD - Long Slow Distance
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    If it's too snowy for riding, that means that conditions should be good for xc skiing:

http://www.eldora.com/nordicCenter/index.cfm
    (they've got rentals and lessons for noobs like me)

...but I have only been up once or twice this year, partly because I've been kinda lazy, and partly because I like riding on bike paths and roads and stuff when it's snowy and icy and everybody else is inside or downhill skiing.

mtbr member
    Cross training. Any cardio that differs from riding but intervals help most for front range riding since it seems to be a real burst intense type of riding.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    1. Ride with people who are just a tad faster than yourself. They will push you.
    2. While out on your rides, do 2 hard efforts of 100% for 5 minutes. Do maybe 3-5 of these.
    3. X-train. Throw it a little running or road cycling.
    4. Ride to the trail head....do you ride.....then ride home.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, the main thing that I se is I have to get off my butt and get doing more stuff, whether it's riding, running, swimming and so on. But I have to get up and get going and it will come in time.

Thanks, a bunch!!!

I might just have to go for another ride this afternoon.

Michael
    2004 Trek Fuel Carbon Fiber
    1991 Trek 830

mtbr member
    Depending on the weather and snow situation. If the roads are clear I go road biking. Great for developing cardio and honing spinning technique.

If the roads are snow or mud covered I put the road bike on the trainer. Very important then is to have good and long movies. Otherwise I would die of boredom on the machine. Hint for beginners: Use a headset or it is a 'silent' movie. The machine drowns the sound.

While I really hate health clubs I do go there if I can get in for free. Squash (or probably Raquetball for you) is good for cardio, too. Keeps your heart rate right at the limit.

Other rarely used cardio training includes: Snowshoing, running, hiking (up and fast).

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by humdinger4u
    Thanks guys, the main thing that I se is I have to get off my butt and get doing more stuff, whether it's riding, running, swimming and so on. But I have to get up and get going and it will come in time.

Thanks, a bunch!!!

I might just have to go for another ride this afternoon.

Michael
    Look into the concept of Periodized training. An emphasis is placed upon the importance of recovery.

The whole idea of training is to build up yourself up. The rest phase is when the body rebuilds itself stronger than before. Without recovery, you will continue to break down but not rebuild.

what nice teeth you have
    I like the elliptical machine combined with a heart rate monitor at the gym. 30-40 min of intervals.

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by nadinno78
    I like the elliptical machine combined with a heart rate monitor at the gym. 30-40 min of intervals.
    Yep, and using a machine with HR control can be of enormous benefit when you're trying to discipline yourself not to exceed a given HR limit.

Makes it much easier to comply with prescribed zone training.

now in superlight!
    I would suggest the elliptical like nad- or getting to a spin class works well- AND you get the added benefit of not suffering alone!
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

Mark
    Dec 2007

High End cardio

crosspost. Oops!
    Last edited by hoovermd; 01-27-2008 at 08:11 PM.
    ===============

Mark

what nice teeth you have
    Whats cool about the elliptical machine is it will pick up the signal from a polar chest strap so you don't have to rely on the hand holds to get an accurate reading. The chest strap is way more accurate than the hand holds. With the machine I was using the other day I told it what my target heart rate was and it adjusted the resistance to keep me right on target. I'll also use the pre programmed interval guide. For the first few intervals I will adjust the resistance of the machine based on my HR. From there on out all I have to do is keep moving based on how hard the machine sets the resistance. This is a fairly simple way to target certain HR zones.

Mark
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by insect_o_man
    Look into the concept of Periodized training. An emphasis is placed upon the importance of recovery.

The whole idea of training is to build up yourself up. The rest phase is when the body rebuilds itself stronger than before. Without recovery, you will continue to break down but not rebuild.

Saw one of those "performance" Cardiologists.
    Did the whole 6 lead EKG stress test.

Here is what my numbers came up to, your mileage may vary:

I'm 46
    11.6 Body Fat
    Resting HR 53
    Max HR 190
    Anerobic Threshold: 162

Ok, not bad I thought... bit here is what I'm SUPPOSED to do:

Target: 10% Body fat
    2 hr per week 105-130
    2 hr per week 131-154
    1 hr per week 155-170
    1 hr per week 171-MAX

I'll let you know how this goes if I'm ever able to carve out 2 hrs per day just for Cardio

At any rate, the % is the interesting part...
    10% Race
    10% Anaerobic Threshold Training
    20% Fat Burning
    20% Recovery

I'm really working at the % but am only able to get in a measly 6-8 hours a week.
    After all, I DO have a job...
    ===============

Mark

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovermd
    20% Fat Burning
    20% Recovery
    [SIZE=3]What's amazing is the effect that training at lower effort levels has on the ability to sustain max effort for a longer period of time.

By building up the aerobic system, we increase the ability of the body to process anaerobic waste products. That's one of the reasons Lance was such a devastating climber.

I applied LSD / periodization methodology from 2002 to 2004. My last race in 2004 was the Camp Pendleton international distance Tri and I was still exploring my limits at the end of the race. I ran the final 10k run leg in 46:19 - which for me was amazing considering my PR for a stand-alone 5k was 23:53 in 2001. I was just going "OMG I can't believe I'm running this pace".

Then (long story short..) my wife and I had our daughter... which, with work pushed training and racing way down the priority scale. :-(

But now she's ready for daycare and I'm really stoked and looking forward to picking up where I left off, woohoo! [/SIZE]

BTW, [SIZE=3]I'm 46 years old now I and wish I'd known this stuff 25-30 years ago.
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by insect_o_man; 01-27-2008 at 10:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 3nf
    If it's too snowy for riding, that means that conditions should be good for xc skiing
    Amen! Although back-country skiing is a closer parallel to MTB, while cross-country skiing is more like road riding.

With the right BC setup for the terrain (can find cheap on e-bay) and some practice time to learn telemark techniques (it's like riding a bike - once you get it...), you can ski your favorite MTB trails! The right setup will let you sprint across the flats, climb hills (great upper and lower body and cardio workout!), then cut turns through the woods, throw some tricks off the drops, etc. (and everything in between, of course). It's a blast, and has similar goals to MTB -- improve fitness, learn new skills, impress your friends, and try to stay out of the hospital! And you'll never lament snow again!