mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Car Rack Recommendation?

I need a car rack to haul my bike places. I have 2 cars so I would need one I can switch from car to car. I have a Subaru wagon and a Toyota Rav4. Anybody here recommend one?
    I'm not good...yet

If you don't help me out and give good advice...the terrorists win.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Well.. i would suggest a hitch mounted one..

I have a thule t2.. i love it, very easy to use and strong.. but $$$

I have a used Xport Thule T2 ripoff for sale.. $75.. I also have one that hang on the trunk or hatch.. you can have that for a 12 pack..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpowell76
    I need a car rack to haul my bike places. I have 2 cars so I would need one I can switch from car to car. I have a Subaru wagon and a Toyota Rav4. Anybody here recommend one?
    +1 on the Thule T2. I have had mine for almost 7 years (Sportrack before Thule bought them). Still as good as day one.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Go T2
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    I have the Yakima Holdup and love it. You can't go wrong with either the T2 or the Yakima; they're both quality racks... and both expensive.

I got mine at ORS and had great luck with them. They're offering a 10% off plus free shipping on Yakima right now, too. http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-racks.html

[edit]Lookie here... for CO residents, Yakima is offering a discount, too, up to $50, based on your total rack purchase. Go to www.yakima.com to get the details. But hurry, it's through the 30th of this month!
    Last edited by skiahh; 04-23-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I suggest the Kuat NV. Spectacular!!

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I just bought the 1upusa quikrack, and it is really slick. Maybe you don't realize it, but there's a whole forum on mtbr devoted to racks, it's where I learned about the the quikrack.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Another happy T2 owner

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan
    I just bought the 1upusa quikrack, and it is really slick. Maybe you don't realize it, but there's a whole forum on mtbr devoted to racks, it's where I learned about the the quikrack.
    Those aren't cheap either.. $500 to be able to carry 2 bikes? Did I get that wrong? They don't look sturdy (not sayin they aren't, but just looking at it).. would they carry two DH bikes?
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Get yourself one of these:

http://lamperthitch.com/popimage.cfm?pid=321121

and a couple of these:

http://yakima.com/shop/bike/truck-bed/locking-blockhead or http://www.rockymounts.com/Locking_Clutch_p/012.htm

drill some holes in the sides of the carrier and bolt the mounts to the rails. I suggest that the one closest to the car be on the right side so as to keep your chainrings away from the car. Use toe straps weaved through the grating on the bottom to secure the back wheel(s). Carries two bikes super securely, and unlike 'bike specific' racks that cost more money, you can use it to carry other things when not carrying bikes.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    Those aren't cheap either.. $500 to be able to carry 2 bikes? Did I get that wrong? They don't look sturdy (not sayin they aren't, but just looking at it).. would they carry two DH bikes?
    A T2 is $440 retail, so yeah it is pricier, but lighter and more modular, much easier to take on and off.

As for it's sturdiness, it seems plenty sturdy, at least as sturdy as any other hitch rick I have seen. It is pretty much 100% metal, not sure what about it doesn't look sturdy to you compared to all the plastic on the T2?

I went into the car/biker forum to research my hitch rack, fully expecting to end up with a T2 or the Yakima. But after spending a while reading threads, I became convinced that the quikrack is just a better product.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=Bagwhan]A T2 is $440 retail, so yeah it is pricier, but lighter and more modular, much easier to take on and off.

Does anyone ever pay retail for anything? You can get a brand new one shipped to your house for $350 for a little research..
    BBZ

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan
    A T2 is $440 retail, so yeah it is pricier, but lighter and more modular, much easier to take on and off.
    Does anyone ever pay retail for anything? You can get a brand new one shipped to your house for $350 for a little research..
    Yeah, sure, never said any different. This one is pricier, how much pricier depends on what deal you get on the T2. There are no deals on the quickrack because you buy direct from the company. I decided that within reason on price, I wanted the one that was best for me. And after all the research, I decided that the ease of removing it and storing it, the bomber construction, and the reports of stellar customer service, plus the small USA company, swayed me in favor of spending more for what I believe is a better product.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    no need to be defensive, I am not bashing your decision at all... was just trying to clarify for the OP
    BBZ

Rolling
    I like--and use-- a T2 but I'm not sure it's the best choice for Rav4. Rav4s generally have a side swing tailgate and unless you take the bikes off, the tailgate won't clear the rack. Because the T2 tilts a bit, you might get the Subie's hatch to open though. However, I don't have either so I don't know. I know you can access the gear from the back seat but it's not always that fun. The t2 works great for me because I have a pickup type tailgate and a lift window on the back. Thus I can open the window and access the entire rear without messing with the rack.

I talked with someone lately about making a customer scissor mount for a T2 to allow it to swing out, yet have the benefits of the T2 mounting. It would be a custom design and more money for sure. From my experience, I don't care much for the hanging mount scissor racks.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-24-2011 at 04:40 PM.

There's no need to fear.
    I did a ton of research on the Yakima Holdup and The Thule T2. Both seemed like great choices. I decided on the Yakima since I could get it on sale. Everything looked great when I was setting it up - went together super easily, mounted on my truck with no problem, held 2 XC bikes beautifully, tilted down so that I could open my canopy flap and reach inside. Things were looking good.

The party ended when I unloaded the bikes and lowered the tailgate with the rack in the level setting. The tailgate made contact with the rack - no big deal, I'll drop the rack to the tilted setting and lower the tailgate again. This time it was worse. The piece of metal that works as a tongue for the level/tilted rack setting was sticking up right where my tailgate needed to be lowered. If I had have dropped my tailgate like many of the guys who I usually transport do it would have left a very nasty ding (or hole) in my tailgate.

I played around with it for a little while and there was no way around it. The ground clearance on the Holdup was too high and now it was messing around with my tailgate. I packed it up and returned it. Too bad really, it's a really nice rack other than that major fault.

PS. The truck involved was a 2009 Toyota Tacoma.