Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 83
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: keith13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    353

    Car of choice for a Mt biker??? Thinking Honda Element?

    Any of you out there own a Honda Element? I am thinking about getting a new car and the Element seems like a good fit. I was wondering if any of you out there could share your experiences with the Element?

    What kind of MPG's?
    Is it hard to get the bike on and off of a roof rack?
    Are you happy with the All Wheel drive?
    How does it handle in the snow?
    How is the overall quality?

    Right now I have a 2000 Forrester which I like alot

    I get 26-29 MPGs
    Bike is easy to get on and off.
    All wheel drive and handleing is amazing in adverse weather and dry pavement.
    I have almost 140,000 miles on it, could use a windshield and I think I might have a rear bearing going out, but, is this reason enough to consider another car? Probably not a good one but its got me thinking with this many miles, maybe I need a newer car

    Anyway if you like or don't like your honda element could you share your experience with me?

    Thanks
    Keith
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

  2. #2
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,662
    a really old honda civic with a roof rack. great gas mileage and then your sure to have a bike worth more than your car

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: j-rocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    199
    We LOVE ours ('06 EX-P, 2-wheel drive). It is the perfect car for our needs...dogs and bikes. My wife likes it because after a ride she can literally roll her bike in, shut the hatch, and drive home. No wheel removal necessary. It is a bit taller than our old Explorer and putting bikes on the roof rack (for trips) took a bit more effort, but even she (at 5'-3) could get hers up and down with a short step ladder. However, recently we installed a 2" receiver hitch and rack for our trip to Vail. It made thinks sooo much easier and our gas mileage (26.5 avg) didn't suffer like it does when they're on top.

    The biggest reason for us to get this was the ability to put our bikes inside without too many hassles. Ok, we love the cool orange color too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    a really old honda civic with a roof rack. great gas mileage and then your sure to have a bike worth more than your car
    +1

    that being said, the older civics are still hot items to be stolen/stripped. Hoping my 'newer' 2002 one is less subject to that...

    OP: I can get 4 bikes, 4 people and gear in mine when configured correctly. With just one bike/person (me!) I get right around 39mpg. Not what you're looking for...but think outside the box (get it! box! haahahahahahaha ...damn I'm funny)

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,076
    The problem I had with the Element (other than styling) was that it only seats 4.
    So we bought the CR-V, which is the same chasis/engine/transmission...to compliment my Nissan Frontier

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: j-rocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    199
    True, but it's just us two and we rarely have the opportunity to take more than 1 or 2 others anywhere.

    J

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2
    j-rocket

    Hello,

    I sent you a PM, but others might be interest too. What type of rack are you running? Could you tell us the brand, model, where you purchased it? It looks like you are running roof-type brackets on a hitch-type rack--I don't think I've ever seen one like it.

    Thanks

  8. #8
    conchord
    Reputation: kstruzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    29
    I've had my Element for about a year and a half and love it.

    I opted for the internal rack (mounted quick release) when originally purchasing it - so I just throw the bike inside. It easily fits 2 mountain bikes inside standing up. The seats quickly fold up/down and can be taken out in a matter of seconds.

    Also, I love that you don't have to worry about tracking mud/dirt into the car. The inside is very easy to clean since there isn't any carpet. You can't go wrong if you like to do a lot of outdoor activities.

    My only complaint is that the wind can easily push it around when driving on the highway.

  9. #9
    Too busy looking good
    Reputation: HOser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    356
    The Element is a favorite topic at the Car and Biker forum:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: j-rocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    199
    I tried to find my response to your PM, but lost it before I could copy and paste it here. Maybe you could??
    Here's an older MTBR review of the Yakima Hitchfork rack that we're currently using:

    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/...464_98crx.aspx

    We LOVE it, btw.

    J

  11. #11
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,665
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13
    <snip>

    I get 26-29 MPGs
    Bike is easy to get on and off.
    All wheel drive and handleing is amazing in adverse weather and dry pavement.
    I have almost 140,000 miles on it, could use a windshield and I think I might have a rear bearing going out, but, is this reason enough to consider another car? Probably not a good one but its got me thinking with this many miles, maybe I need a newer car
    Nope. Keep the current car. Bearing and windshield are almost negligible in terms of cost. Drive the current one into the ground and save the $400/mo that you *would* be spending on a new car. Use it to take cool mt bike trips.

  12. #12
    youenjoymyself
    Reputation: wooph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    79
    I have an 04 EX... LOVE that vehicle. I don't have a roof rack (yet) so I can't comment on that. I flip up one of the back seats and slide my bike right in.

    MPG's range from 19-22 for most driving.

    It handles the snow really well AWD kicks in quickly when needed. also, tires will make a difference in that dept. I have Pirelli Scorpions and they have been great in all conditions.

    I bought it because it's a Honda and I'm looking forward to driving it for years to come.

  13. #13
    slack jawed
    Reputation: Cletus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13
    Any of you out there own a Honda Element? I am thinking about getting a new car and the Element seems like a good fit. I was wondering if any of you out there could share your experiences with the Element?

    What kind of MPG's?
    Is it hard to get the bike on and off of a roof rack?
    Are you happy with the All Wheel drive?
    How does it handle in the snow?
    How is the overall quality?

    I get around 22 - 24 MPG in general.
    I use a hitch rack. I don't use a roof rack because I'm afraid of rack-cidents.
    The all wheel drive only comes into play when a wheel slips and it seems to work fine.
    The Element tracks fine in the snow (see below).
    I'm very impressed with the quality.


    <br />
    I've got nothing witty to say....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72
    If you like your current car, why would you replace it? 140K ain't sh#t if you keep up with the upkeep, no reason it shouldn't be good for another 140K.

    I have never bought a vehicle with less than a 100K, but I drive Toyotas

  15. #15
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by bustanutley
    If you like your current car, why would you replace it? 140K ain't sh#t if you keep up with the upkeep, no reason it shouldn't be good for another 140K.

    I have never bought a vehicle with less than a 100K, but I drive Toyotas
    Amen on the toyotas!! Both of mine have over 100K!
    BC 025b.jpg

    Big snow can be a bitc* with a two wheel drive!
    152b.jpg
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Amen on the toyotas!! Both of mine have over 100K!
    Big snow can be a bitc* with a two wheel drive!
    My fj40's motor has somthing like 300K on it.


    and my dd tundra is pushing 170K runs like new, 2uzfe is a good motor.

  17. #17
    Jackass
    Reputation: pesqueeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by bustanutley
    My fj40's motor has somthing like 300K on it.

    Yea, but where do you put your bike on that thing?
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

  18. #18
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maŮana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,162
    Big turn-off for me with the Element is the poor gas mileage. It's a square brick, a very non-aerodynamic shape and it's rather heavy.

    If you're looking for a new car, VW is putting out a TDI Tiguan (their new, little, SUV, essentially a Rabbit/Jetta on a lift) that's reported to get 48mpg on the highway by owners in Europe. There's gonna be a big craze when it get released, but things should settle after a short while. Currently VW is pre-selling their TDI Jettas at $1500 over msrp. I always figured pre-sale means you'd save money but people are crazy about the diesels, and for a good reason.

    Roof racks waste a lot of MPG, too. I was averaging 24mpg in my GTI with the bikes on the roof, about 22 hwy, 26 city. With a hitch I'm at 28.9mpg average. 32mpg hwy, 26ish city.

    With a small car you're stuck with a 1 1/4in receiver. An SUV lets you run a 2in, most of the time, which lets you carry up to 4 bikes instead of 2. I feel bad each time I take my GTI off road, it does not like that at all. Also, hitch racks have a major downside, that is, if the road is wet and/or dusty, the bikes are gonna be pretty soiled. I'm on a look out for a bag to cover up my drivetrain on those wet days.

    _MK

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by pesqueeb
    Yea, but where do you put your bike on that thing?
    That is what the Tundra is for duhhh 7 DH sleds in the back no problem.

    As far as the rockcrawler goes though, I have taken friends wheeling and carried their bike in the back, wheeled some nasty trail with them shotty on the way up and they get to ride out.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Big turn-off for me with the Element is the poor gas mileage. It's a square brick, a very non-aerodynamic shape and it's rather heavy.
    Fully agree, you guys are reporting low 20s for millage out of a car that small? My tundra gets 17-19 in the city 19-21 on the highway makes 300hp and I can pull 7K with it, aka rockcrawler on a flatbed.

    I would expect better millage from such a small unit

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    905
    Check out a Honda Pilot too. The new version is a little ugly because they tried to "Hummer" it up but the older ones are roomy and not as boxy as the Element. Most have roof rails so a rack can install easy but only around 25 MPGs.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeCOLORADO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,692
    Is that Forester a 5spd or Auto?

    My Forester is a 5spd and I'm getting upwards of 34-35mpg...it's a 2003 with nearly 140k miles on it...and needs a new windsheild too. I'll be riding it out for the duration with her until she gives up the ghost.

    No matter what you drive...check out Hypermiling Techniques. Save money, save gas...reduced wear and tear on the car...and yes, reduce your carbon footprint.
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me


  23. #23
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    My 2000 Tundra is for sale. It fits a lot of bikes. I'm just saying.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by bustanutley
    Fully agree, you guys are reporting low 20s for millage out of a car that small? My tundra gets 17-19 in the city 19-21 on the highway makes 300hp and I can pull 7K with it, aka rockcrawler on a flatbed.

    I would expect better millage from such a small unit
    I call bullsh*t!
    Toyota says 13mpg city and 17 mpg highway.
    And manufacturers aren't ones to underestimate their mpg spec.
    http://www.toyota.com/tundra/specs.html

    Here's some more reviews on Tundra mpg.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef55111

    I'm not saying it a bad truck, Tundra's are badass but I am happy to get 20mpg highway from my 1992 Toyota 4x4 pickup.
    I do agree that the Element's MPG ratings are pretty poor IMO. But it also cost's 10-15k less than a well equipped 4x4 Tundra.
    Last edited by wormvine; 08-01-2008 at 11:11 AM.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Nope. Keep the current car. Bearing and windshield are almost negligible in terms of cost. Drive the current one into the ground and save the $400/mo that you *would* be spending on a new car. Use it to take cool mt bike trips.

    Best advice yet. The longer you keep your current vehicle, the more money you save.
    If you had a $400 car payment, that would be $4800 a year. You could fix your sube, pimp it out, Get a new bike, and pay for the gas to make fun bike trips. Plus your insurance is less as well. Get a good hitch rack like the Thule T2. You can fit a 3rd bike inside if you have to.
    And laugh all the way to the bank.

  26. #26
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    I call bullsh*t!
    Toyota says 13mpg city and 17 mpg highway.
    And manufacturers aren't ones to underestimate their mpg spec.
    http://www.toyota.com/tundra/specs.html

    Here's some more reviews on Tundra mpg.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef55111

    I'm not saying it a bad truck, Tundra's are badass but I am happy to get 20mpg highway from my 1992 Toyota 4x4 pickup.
    I do agree that the Element's MPG ratings are pretty poor IMO. But it also cost's 15-20k less than a well equipped 4x4 Tundra.
    My 2000 Tundra gets 16-17 MPG in town and easily 19 MPG hwy. My 1994 Toyota Pickup gets 19 MPG everywhere, regardless of where I'm driving it, but I've only owned it for a month so I don't have a lot to base off of.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  27. #27
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_

    Roof racks waste a lot of MPG, too. I was averaging 24mpg in my GTI with the bikes on the roof, about 22 hwy, 26 city. With a hitch I'm at 28.9mpg average. 32mpg hwy, 26ish city.

    _MK
    Wow, way to sell me on getting another hitch for my car. I'd figured mileage would improve (currently getting ~27 with mostly hwy driving), and I take my bike w/ me at least 3 days a week.

    Also, and I wish some of those idjits that write radio adverts were here paying attention:
    It's mileS per gallon. Not mile per gallonS, unless you drive a car w/ a leaky gas tank.
    Hence, it's just mpg, not plural (mpgS), as I hear on the radio all the time.
    My little grammar rant for the day...

    And I second the idea of keeping your Forester, so long as you don't mind driving it. Car payments suck. All the time I think about what if I had just waited another 6 months to buy my last car. Thankfully ours are both paid off now, so I can invest some $$ back into them. New shocks and springs by the end of summer!
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    182
    I think i'd rather be seen in a Subaru Outback than that Element......

  29. #29
    Chronic 1st-timer
    Reputation: lubes17319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,351
    I'd rather be driving this to the trails....


    ...with a MTB, of course.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    I call bullsh*t!
    Toyota says 13mpg city and 17 mpg highway.
    And manufacturers aren't ones to underestimate their mpg spec.
    http://www.toyota.com/tundra/specs.html

    Here's some more reviews on Tundra mpg.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef55111

    I'm not saying it a bad truck, Tundra's are badass but I am happy to get 20mpg highway from my 1992 Toyota 4x4 pickup.
    I do agree that the Element's MPG ratings are pretty poor IMO. But it also cost's 10-15k less than a well equipped 4x4 Tundra.

    Wrong tundra fool, mine is an '00 and I keep track every tank. I have done a few things to make it run a little more efficient and make a bit more power. I am a motorhead and know my way around vehicles.

    The smaller toyota pickups do not do much/if any better because their motors are so anemic.

  31. #31
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    My 2000 Tundra gets 16-17 MPG in town and easily 19 MPG hwy.
    I'm pushin 20mpg with a K&N intake, unless I'm towing.

    Sure is nice to have a pick-up for biking, IMHO.
    Throw muddy bikes and equip in the back, no worries.
    Can carry multiple muddy little buddies, no worries.
    Great for shuddles, & long trips.
    The tailgate is a makeshift pub after a ride.

    I've found that instead of gettin a new car with improved gas mileage; keep my paid-for truck and...

    drive less = bike more (see Grociery Getter)
    plan drives to maximize efficiency
    drive slower
    - Cheaper for me right now

    This setup is headin on a 3 week road trip to BC/CB and points inbetween next month...



    Lookin at 13-14mpg like this, still cheaper than hotels if the trip is planned right
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,929

    I have an '04 Element and a '97 Tacoma

    My Element gets about 24-25 in town, maybe up to 29 on the highway if I coast a lot. My 1997 V6 truck gets about 16 in town in the winter to about 19 in town in the summer and up to 24 on the highway in the summer. I take the truck to Moab and plan on getting about 23 for the entire trip.

    The Element isn't for everyone. It only seats 4, it's tough to sleep in the back because the rear hatchback door doesn't open from the inside. It is very fun to drive, though. It's a 5 speed. Seating comfort is perfect for me. I pull up one of the rear seats and hook it to the side, roll in my bike without taking off the front wheel and lash it to the other seat. I can carry 2 bikes and two/three passengers comfortably. I've never owned a rack or a hitch. Usually I just own a truck and throw the bike in the back.

    The Element works for me and I'll probably keep it for a long time. It's a Honda and should last. Wish it had a real tall sixth gear so I'd get over 30 on the highway!

    If you do go ahead and get an Element check craigslist for a '04 and save some bucks.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: keith13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    Is that Forester a 5spd or Auto?

    My Forester is a 5spd and I'm getting upwards of 34-35mpg...it's a 2003 with nearly 140k miles on it...and needs a new windsheild too. I'll be riding it out for the duration with her until she gives up the ghost.

    No matter what you drive...check out Hypermiling Techniques. Save money, save gas...reduced wear and tear on the car...and yes, reduce your carbon footprint.
    I might drive a little aggressive??? I have a 5 speed and I have gotten 30 out of it before, but never more than that an I have gotten as low as 22 in bad weather taking advantage of the AWD. I would like to get 30 on a regular basis and I guess I ll just keep the Subaru, I just heard alot of rumours that people get the same mileage out of their Elements that I get out of my Forrester. I only paid 6 G's for it with 90,000 miles and I only had to put a new coil in it once in 50,000 miles SO I don't have a car payment at the moment and I do want a DHX-C for my Heckler so.... I guess I ll fix ye'olde soooobie so I can have more beer and bike money in the months to come

    Thanks for all of the input I appreciate it
    Keith
    Last edited by keith13; 08-01-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by bustanutley
    Wrong tundra fool, mine is an '00 and I keep track every tank. I have done a few things to make it run a little more efficient and make a bit more power. I am a motorhead and know my way around vehicles.

    The smaller toyota pickups do not do much/if any better because their motors are so anemic.
    They discuss other Tundra years and it's not the only Edmund's forum that discusses gas mileage. I have read alot of other posts and 20mpg seems to not be the norm. Maybe your lucky. But if you perform mechanical modifications it's not really stock and is not a fair comparison.
    There is an Element mod to add a 6th gear to the tranny. It pushes the Elements mpg to 28. That's without any other mods. Such as better air intake and alternative timing.
    But we weren't really talking about modified maximums.


    Here is another review for a 2000 V-8 4x4 Tundra?
    http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/rev...tundra_v8.html

    Gas mileage, as expected in a DOHC engine, was good, measuring an average 15.8mpg during city and highway driving
    .

    YMMV

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    My Element gets about 24-25 in town, maybe up to 29 on the highway if I coast a lot. My 1997 V6 truck gets about 16 in town in the winter to about 19 in town in the summer and up to 24 on the highway in the summer. I take the truck to Moab and plan on getting about 23 for the entire trip.

    The Element isn't for everyone. It only seats 4, it's tough to sleep in the back because the rear hatchback door doesn't open from the inside. It is very fun to drive, though. It's a 5 speed. Seating comfort is perfect for me. I pull up one of the rear seats and hook it to the side, roll in my bike without taking off the front wheel and lash it to the other seat. I can carry 2 bikes and two/three passengers comfortably. I've never owned a rack or a hitch. Usually I just own a truck and throw the bike in the back.

    The Element works for me and I'll probably keep it for a long time. It's a Honda and should last. Wish it had a real tall sixth gear so I'd get over 30 on the highway!

    If you do go ahead and get an Element check craigslist for a '04 and save some bucks.

    You can mod the tranny to add a 6th gear. Google it..
    Here is a link that mentions it!
    http://www.austingasprices.com/Forum...ge_no=21&FAV=N

  36. #36
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,902
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    They discuss other Tundra years and it's not the only Edmund's forum that discusses gas mileage. I have read alot of other posts and 20mpg seems to not be the norm. Maybe your lucky. But if you perform mechanical modifications it's not really stock and is not a fair comparison.
    I think it depends on driving habits. I was getting close to 20mpg HWY prior to any mods

    But dont take it from someone who has owned a Tundra for 5 years and monitors mileage like a hawk, drink Edmunds Kool-Aid.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,740
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319
    I'd rather be driving this to the trails....


    ...with a MTB, of course.
    Hah, leave the bike and take that moto on the trail

  38. #38
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Gas mileage, as expected in a DOHC engine, was good, measuring an average 15.8mpg during city and highway driving.
    I don't even get numbers that low when I drive aggressively. I don't know, dude. If I'm really kind on the Hwy, I can top 20 MPG and it's not hard to do. That's a far cry from your quoted 15.8 MPG.

    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    I think it depends on driving habits. I was getting close to 20mpg HWY prior to any mods

    But dont take it from someone who has owned a Tundra for 5 years and monitors mileage like a hawk, drink Edmunds Kool-Aid.
    Hahaha, exactly. I've owned my truck for two years and run the numbers on every fillup. My findings differ considerably from the articles you posted.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,929

    Hah!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyfan
    I think i'd rather be seen in a Subaru Outback than that Element......
    A friend of mine drives an Explorer and always wants to drive. If I insist on driving us in my Element he's so freakin' embarrassed, he's almost sliding down his seat onto the floor. Doesn't bother me at all.

    Speaking of Element mileage...when I'm in parking lots people come up to me with questions. They think it's a hybrid and gets 50 highway or something. When I say 24 city/27 hwy they're really disappointed (so am I.) One lady did start asking me questions and I began my newbie-Element speech but it turned out she had one. Yeah and not only that she said she gets 40 on the hwy. She just loves her high mpg Element!

    I said, lady, you're not getting 40, your math is wrong. Same motor, same tranny, I got 30 just once and that was coasting down every hill in town and on the highway, once. She insisted she gets 40. Maybe she filled up, pushed her Element onto a downhill highway section and coasted 80 miles then re-filled. For all of you out there, figure 28 tops hwy. If you coast a lot.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,929
    Oh yeah, how does it get around in the snow? I have a set of studded real snow tires I put on for the winter and I can go anywhere (I have AWD). The changeover from 2wd to AWD is seamless, don't even know when the rear tires are kicking in. The only thing that stops me is if the snow is so deep it scrapes under the car. That's when I take out my 4wd Tacoma with its studded real snow tires. I can plow through snow that's up to the fenders with the Tacoma. For awhile.

    If I was in the designing room with the Honda guys when they were planning the Element I would have lobbied for quite a few different things but overall I'm pleased with mine. It's real practical for someone without kids but that's kind of a limited market. With kids the Odyssey makes a whole lot more sense.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boon Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    496

    even better

    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    Hah, leave the bike and take that moto on the trail
    OR...ditch the moto, rig that bike rack up to your road bike and haul your MTB to the trail.

    Now we're talking!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I don't even get numbers that low when I drive aggressively. I don't know, dude. If I'm really kind on the Hwy, I can top 20 MPG and it's not hard to do. That's a far cry from your quoted 15.8 MPG.

    Hahaha, exactly. I've owned my truck for two years and run the numbers on every fillup. My findings differ considerably from the articles you posted.
    I don't know what to tell you. If I was buying a Tundra, I would do the same research. I would read the same articles. I wouldn't just take 2 guys on the internet's word for it. Not that I don't believe what you both say. But there are many mpg reviews out there and they are not all from Edmunds.com. But I didn't know they were the devil either.

    I hope no one gets bent out of shape with the "THat's BS" comment. When you are with a bunch of wrench-heads and someone makes a claim, you don't say,"Why sir, I believe you are mistaken"... You say, "That's B*ll****e!.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    I think it depends on driving habits. I was getting close to 20mpg HWY prior to any mods
    I agree, driving habits can drastically change MPG.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    59
    I really like the Element, I just wish it got better mileage. The CR-V is essentially the same car but gets about 2-3 mpg better. Unfortunately they quit making the manual a year ago. I've got the 88 RT4WD civic wagon and it goes just about anywhere and gets 25-30 mpg. I just wish it was safer, so I'm thinking about a Subaru or a newer civic.

    Something you have to keep in mind with people's mpg claims in Colorado is that your mileage is drastically different depending on your altitude. Going west of town you get about 5 mpg better. Keep this in mind when asking people about their used cars. Go by the official figures in Edmunds if you want something accurate.

  45. #45
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maŮana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,162
    Quote Originally Posted by schmoab
    I really like the Element, I just wish it got better mileage. The CR-V is essentially the same car but gets about 2-3 mpg better. Unfortunately they quit making the manual a year ago. I've got the 88 RT4WD civic wagon and it goes just about anywhere and gets 25-30 mpg. I just wish it was safer, so I'm thinking about a Subaru or a newer civic.

    Something you have to keep in mind with people's mpg claims in Colorado is that your mileage is drastically different depending on your altitude. Going west of town you get about 5 mpg better. Keep this in mind when asking people about their used cars. Go by the official figures in Edmunds if you want something accurate.
    Are you saying that higher altitude gets you better gas mileage?

    _MK

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72
    keep forester, put wrx motor in it! Do they still make the forester GT(or whatever it was called) with the detuned STI motor? yumm (even though it is a dumb looking car )

  47. #47
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by schmoab
    Going west of town you get about 5 mpg better. Keep this in mind when asking people about their used cars. Go by the official figures in Edmunds if you want something accurate.
    Whoa there, 'Lil Buck. Say that again.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  48. #48
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,902
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    I don't know what to tell you. If I was buying a Tundra, I would do the same research. I would read the same articles. I wouldn't just take 2 guys on the internet's word for it. Not that I don't believe what you both say. But there are many mpg reviews out there and they are not all from Edmunds.com. But I didn't know they were the devil either.

    Just take it for what it is.
    Two guys on teh interwebs that own the vehicle and are not testing it or reviewing it and get a bit better mileage than those who were reviewing the product.

    Maybe because we own the vehicles and pay for the ga$ goin in (as opposed to a paid reviewer) we tend to not hammer down the throttle as much.

    Maybe its cuz I only drive my Tundra downhills
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,076
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    But dont take it from someone who has owned a Tundra for 5 years and monitors mileage like a hawk...
    That is just that right there. 95% of drivers who "care" about gas prices don't track their mileage, let alone over time and noting changing factors and their outcome.

    Just by paying this much attention, you will stretch each gallon. It isn't that you monitor it, it is that you strive to achieve it.

  50. #50
    flowcus
    Reputation: fcrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    153

    the solution is in your foot


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •