Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Car of choice for a Mt biker??? Thinking Honda Element?

Any of you out there own a Honda Element? I am thinking about getting a new car and the Element seems like a good fit. I was wondering if any of you out there could share your experiences with the Element?

What kind of MPG's?
    Is it hard to get the bike on and off of a roof rack?
    Are you happy with the All Wheel drive?
    How does it handle in the snow?
    How is the overall quality?

Right now I have a 2000 Forrester which I like alot

I get 26-29 MPGs
    Bike is easy to get on and off.
    All wheel drive and handleing is amazing in adverse weather and dry pavement.
    I have almost 140,000 miles on it, could use a windshield and I think I might have a rear bearing going out, but, is this reason enough to consider another car? Probably not a good one but its got me thinking with this many miles, maybe I need a newer car

Anyway if you like or don't like your honda element could you share your experience with me?

Thanks
    Keith
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

eci
    a really old honda civic with a roof rack. great gas mileage and then your sure to have a bike worth more than your car

mtbr member
    We LOVE ours ('06 EX-P, 2-wheel drive). It is the perfect car for our needs...dogs and bikes. My wife likes it because after a ride she can literally roll her bike in, shut the hatch, and drive home. No wheel removal necessary. It is a bit taller than our old Explorer and putting bikes on the roof rack (for trips) took a bit more effort, but even she (at 5'-3) could get hers up and down with a short step ladder. However, recently we installed a 2" receiver hitch and rack for our trip to Vail. It made thinks sooo much easier and our gas mileage (26.5 avg) didn't suffer like it does when they're on top.

The biggest reason for us to get this was the ability to put our bikes inside without too many hassles. Ok, we love the cool orange color too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    a really old honda civic with a roof rack. great gas mileage and then your sure to have a bike worth more than your car
    +1

that being said, the older civics are still hot items to be stolen/stripped. Hoping my 'newer' 2002 one is less subject to that...

OP: I can get 4 bikes, 4 people and gear in mine when configured correctly. With just one bike/person (me!) I get right around 39mpg. Not what you're looking for...but think outside the box (get it! box! haahahahahahaha ...damn I'm funny)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The problem I had with the Element (other than styling) was that it only seats 4.
    So we bought the CR-V, which is the same chasis/engine/transmission...to compliment my Nissan Frontier

mtbr member
    True, but it's just us two and we rarely have the opportunity to take more than 1 or 2 others anywhere.

J

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    j-rocket

Hello,

I sent you a PM, but others might be interest too. What type of rack are you running? Could you tell us the brand, model, where you purchased it? It looks like you are running roof-type brackets on a hitch-type rack--I don't think I've ever seen one like it.

Thanks

conchord
    I've had my Element for about a year and a half and love it.

I opted for the internal rack (mounted quick release) when originally purchasing it - so I just throw the bike inside. It easily fits 2 mountain bikes inside standing up. The seats quickly fold up/down and can be taken out in a matter of seconds.

Also, I love that you don't have to worry about tracking mud/dirt into the car. The inside is very easy to clean since there isn't any carpet. You can't go wrong if you like to do a lot of outdoor activities.

My only complaint is that the wind can easily push it around when driving on the highway.

Too busy looking good
    The Element is a favorite topic at the Car and Biker forum:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/

mtbr member
    I tried to find my response to your PM, but lost it before I could copy and paste it here. Maybe you could??
    Here's an older MTBR review of the Yakima Hitchfork rack that we're currently using:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/...464_98crx.aspx

We LOVE it, btw.

J

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13

I get 26-29 MPGs
    Bike is easy to get on and off.
    All wheel drive and handleing is amazing in adverse weather and dry pavement.
    I have almost 140,000 miles on it, could use a windshield and I think I might have a rear bearing going out, but, is this reason enough to consider another car? Probably not a good one but its got me thinking with this many miles, maybe I need a newer car
    Nope. Keep the current car. Bearing and windshield are almost negligible in terms of cost. Drive the current one into the ground and save the $400/mo that you *would* be spending on a new car. Use it to take cool mt bike trips.

youenjoymyself
    I have an 04 EX... LOVE that vehicle. I don't have a roof rack (yet) so I can't comment on that. I flip up one of the back seats and slide my bike right in.

MPG's range from 19-22 for most driving.

It handles the snow really well AWD kicks in quickly when needed. also, tires will make a difference in that dept. I have Pirelli Scorpions and they have been great in all conditions.

I bought it because it's a Honda and I'm looking forward to driving it for years to come.

slack jawed
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13
    Any of you out there own a Honda Element? I am thinking about getting a new car and the Element seems like a good fit. I was wondering if any of you out there could share your experiences with the Element?

What kind of MPG's?
    Is it hard to get the bike on and off of a roof rack?
    Are you happy with the All Wheel drive?
    How does it handle in the snow?
    How is the overall quality?

I get around 22 - 24 MPG in general.
    I use a hitch rack. I don't use a roof rack because I'm afraid of rack-cidents.
    The all wheel drive only comes into play when a wheel slips and it seems to work fine.
    The Element tracks fine in the snow (see below).
    I'm very impressed with the quality.

I've got nothing witty to say....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you like your current car, why would you replace it? 140K ain't sh#t if you keep up with the upkeep, no reason it shouldn't be good for another 140K.

I have never bought a vehicle with less than a 100K, but I drive Toyotas

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by bustanutley
    If you like your current car, why would you replace it? 140K ain't sh#t if you keep up with the upkeep, no reason it shouldn't be good for another 140K.

I have never bought a vehicle with less than a 100K, but I drive Toyotas
    Amen on the toyotas!! Both of mine have over 100K!
    BC 025b.jpg

Big snow can be a bitc* with a two wheel drive!
    152b.jpg
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Amen on the toyotas!! Both of mine have over 100K!
    Big snow can be a bitc* with a two wheel drive!
    My fj40's motor has somthing like 300K on it.

and my dd tundra is pushing 170K runs like new, 2uzfe is a good motor.

Jackass
    My fj40's motor has somthing like 300K on it.

Yea, but where do you put your bike on that thing?
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    Big turn-off for me with the Element is the poor gas mileage. It's a square brick, a very non-aerodynamic shape and it's rather heavy.

If you're looking for a new car, VW is putting out a TDI Tiguan (their new, little, SUV, essentially a Rabbit/Jetta on a lift) that's reported to get 48mpg on the highway by owners in Europe. There's gonna be a big craze when it get released, but things should settle after a short while. Currently VW is pre-selling their TDI Jettas at $1500 over msrp. I always figured pre-sale means you'd save money but people are crazy about the diesels, and for a good reason.

Roof racks waste a lot of MPG, too. I was averaging 24mpg in my GTI with the bikes on the roof, about 22 hwy, 26 city. With a hitch I'm at 28.9mpg average. 32mpg hwy, 26ish city.

With a small car you're stuck with a 1 1/4in receiver. An SUV lets you run a 2in, most of the time, which lets you carry up to 4 bikes instead of 2. I feel bad each time I take my GTI off road, it does not like that at all. Also, hitch racks have a major downside, that is, if the road is wet and/or dusty, the bikes are gonna be pretty soiled. I'm on a look out for a bag to cover up my drivetrain on those wet days.

_MK

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pesqueeb
    Yea, but where do you put your bike on that thing?
    That is what the Tundra is for duhhh 7 DH sleds in the back no problem.

As far as the rockcrawler goes though, I have taken friends wheeling and carried their bike in the back, wheeled some nasty trail with them shotty on the way up and they get to ride out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Big turn-off for me with the Element is the poor gas mileage. It's a square brick, a very non-aerodynamic shape and it's rather heavy.
    Fully agree, you guys are reporting low 20s for millage out of a car that small? My tundra gets 17-19 in the city 19-21 on the highway makes 300hp and I can pull 7K with it, aka rockcrawler on a flatbed.

I would expect better millage from such a small unit

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Check out a Honda Pilot too. The new version is a little ugly because they tried to "Hummer" it up but the older ones are roomy and not as boxy as the Element. Most have roof rails so a rack can install easy but only around 25 MPGs.

mtbr member
    Is that Forester a 5spd or Auto?

My Forester is a 5spd and I'm getting upwards of 34-35mpg...it's a 2003 with nearly 140k miles on it...and needs a new windsheild too. I'll be riding it out for the duration with her until she gives up the ghost.

No matter what you drive...check out Hypermiling Techniques. Save money, save gas...reduced wear and tear on the car...and yes, reduce your carbon footprint.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Your retarded
    My 2000 Tundra is for sale. It fits a lot of bikes. I'm just saying.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Fully agree, you guys are reporting low 20s for millage out of a car that small? My tundra gets 17-19 in the city 19-21 on the highway makes 300hp and I can pull 7K with it, aka rockcrawler on a flatbed.

I would expect better millage from such a small unit
    I call bullsh*t!
    Toyota says 13mpg city and 17 mpg highway.
    And manufacturers aren't ones to underestimate their mpg spec.
    http://www.toyota.com/tundra/specs.html

Here's some more reviews on Tundra mpg.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef55111

I'm not saying it a bad truck, Tundra's are badass but I am happy to get 20mpg highway from my 1992 Toyota 4x4 pickup.
    I do agree that the Element's MPG ratings are pretty poor IMO. But it also cost's 10-15k less than a well equipped 4x4 Tundra.
    Last edited by wormvine; 08-01-2008 at 11:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Nope. Keep the current car. Bearing and windshield are almost negligible in terms of cost. Drive the current one into the ground and save the $400/mo that you *would* be spending on a new car. Use it to take cool mt bike trips.

Best advice yet. The longer you keep your current vehicle, the more money you save.
    If you had a $400 car payment, that would be $4800 a year. You could fix your sube, pimp it out, Get a new bike, and pay for the gas to make fun bike trips. Plus your insurance is less as well. Get a good hitch rack like the Thule T2. You can fit a 3rd bike inside if you have to.
    And laugh all the way to the bank.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast